Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Who's our resident computer genius?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Green Pro Clean Ltd

I have a truly massive collection of DVD's and it has gotten to a totally taking up too much space situation, so they have to go.

I plan to buy a PC that I can rip all my DVD's and music onto, connect it up to the TV and just have them in the digital version.

There is only one small problem - I KNOW NOTHING - well not quite, I know I hate windows 8 and don't want Mac I do also know I will need shed loads of storage but if one of you does know this tech nonsense please help point me in the right direction.

Cheers.

What you need green is some.sort of dvd ripping software. I used to use something called dvd rip years ago abd seemed to work just fine and as far as I can remember free. Just google it and have a look mate

Hi Green.

Basically unless you are spending thousands of pounds on software/hardware you want to go for a nice quad core system.

What sort of budget do you have in mind ?

Get my son to make you a pc

His one he made is too powerfull for any of the games he can buy for it

Has about 7 fans in it i think

Can't buy them that spec in normal shops and only cost about 400 squid

We have a terrabite server also to keep all hard drives backed up

I did something similar about 10 years ago using a program called DVDFab. It was free or shareware back then, not sure what they do now.

Plus point for me with this software was the ability to rip just the movie and not all the trailers, adverts, and stuff. This helped keep the file sizes down.

Think the file sizes were around 3 to 4 gigabytes a ago.

I found ripping much faster when I upgraded from the Intel I5 to an I7, due to the I7's larger cache and its Hyper-threading.

In the end though I found that instead of having shelves of films I didn't watch anymore, I had gained two hard-drives of films I didn't watch anymore.

These days I to stick with streaming services like Netflix.

Get my son to make you a pcHis one he made is too powerfull for any of the games he can buy for it

Has about 7 fans in it i think

Can't buy them that spec in normal shops and only cost about 400 squid

We have a terrabite server also to keep all hard drives backed up
Built all mine for years, the current one is about a year old and cost 5 grand to build /emoticons/tongue.png

For dvd ripping the software and the actual DVD drive itself are the most important, the PC spec isn't going to effect all that much tbh, no need for something monster.

Though that does rest on having a reasonable processor, not some old single core thing, a decent quad core with a good dvd drive and it should only take around 20mins or less

The main reason for doing this is so we can take the home to South east Asia where streaming is not a possibility as most villages braodband is still the equivalent of our early dial up.

I guess really what I would like to do is go spend £5-600 on a decent laptop for work with the bonus of being able to rip DVD promptly.

We have a media PC that sits under the AV box, about the same size, has hundreds of movies on it, found splitting the two things up easier.

Though that does rest on having a reasonable processor, not some old single core thing, a decent quad core with a good dvd drive and it should only take around 20mins or less
Even my phone is quadcore now

No reason to be using :turd: processors nowadays as decent ones are cheap

Even my phone is quadcore nowNo reason to be using :turd: processors nowadays as decent ones are cheap
That is why I said in my first response DVD drive and software are the main things.

Sounds like you just need the best specced laptop you can get for £500 quid green.

probably an i5 processor with 1tb and 8gb ram

i agree windows 8 is ****

i would stick with w7 64 if u can

Back