Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

ok so where am i going wrong?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

mark lee

bough my RO4040 and filter brand new in February was showing 14ppm from the start changed both in line filters begining of august so tonight done a water test now on 41ppm before the resin bottle flushed it through out let valve fully open for half hour gone down to 39ppm

dont seem to get a long time out of a resin bottle either changed that Saturday now showing 2 as well

so got my new meter in post today tested RO 4040 unit filter its showing 60/62 (seems to be up n down like a yo yo as last week was showing 39 on old meter) it was on 14 in February and has had a few flush troughs

van tank is on 0 ppm which is good so is my filter knackard after only 7 months? or can i do anything to sort RO unit?

Something don't sound right I'm not qualified to answer any of your questions, I know I run my RO for a couple of minutes using a bypass valves before it goes into DI vessel got the info from davieboy and spruce sounds like your membrane could need changing,

This is pure guess work but maybe the membrane had slight imperfections during manufacturing process causing premature breakdown like I said I'm not qualified to answer hope you get it sorted soon.

If you have only changed the prefilters once since it was new in February then there-in probably lies your answer @mark lee.

How many liters a months do you use? What your waste to pure ratio? What carbon block prefilter are you using? What size is the filter housing?

Once the carbon block prefilter's service life is up it no longer removes chlorine from the water. Chlorine destroys membranes.

when i first started in February i would only fill the tank twice a month as time went on more customer more water twice a week now,

What your waste to pure ratio ? not sure how to answer that but ionic have the flow out the side of the van 3 finger width if that helps?

both filters changed after 6 months these are 1 x10 inch carbon block and 1 x sediment filters

carbon block prefilters are 2 Stage Filtration HMA Home Drinking Water Filter System Replacement 10" was told these ok to use,

i wonder if these ro have to have constant hi use?

Last edited by a moderator:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
What's your tds

Mine is around 300 here and i need to change my pre filters after around 3 months

6 months is a long time

Hi my water reading is 357 ppm

Tho not forgetting I didn't use the RO that much in beginning and changed both filters

Sediment and carbon block end of August the sediment filter was very dirty

My set up is a carbon copy of my bosses work van so kind of know how it's going to react only thing different is its usage where as bosses van tank was topped up 5 nights a week mine is not can only think this may be a problem maybe I should top up nightly ???

Membranes dried out?

thinking about it thats a strong possibility lack of use in the beginning, not sure what a membrane should read new im sure mine was 14 any one else know the reading of a new one should be?

just want to say big thank you for your help guys.

just a though i have my RO unit bolted to roof of garage the way i see it up there its out of the way wonder if up too high and the left over water is draining out of it?

just a though i have my RO unit bolted to roof of garage the way i see it up there its out of the way wonder if up too high and the left over water is draining out of it?
Water draining out of it probably won't help.

Did you get the r/o new in February?

My r/o is standing up on its end. The lower end is the inlet and the top end is the waste and pure. Both of these exit the cabinet through the top, the pure after its been polished off through the di. So the r/o is always sitting in water.

To answer another question about waste to pure ratio. You need to set up your r/o so the works properly.

The way you do this is to feed the pure into a plastic container such as a 25 liter plastic container we all use. Then we need to do the same with the waste that you would dispose of down the drain. Then run the r/o. With the two containers side by side you will be able to compare waste to pure. (If both containers fill at the same time then you have a 1 : 1 waste to pure ratio.) At your tap water tds I expect that the ratio would be best at around 1.5 liters of waste water to 1 liter of pure. You might be able to get away with 1 liter of waste to 1 liter of pure.

This waste ratio is required so the impurities the membrane is continually removing from the water are flushed away. If you reduce your waste too much you will damage your membranes or your pure ppm will be high or both.

I get my prefilters from Gardiners. I use Fiberdyne carbon block and a sediment filter. The 10" carbon block is good for the removal (reduction) of chlorine from approx 38,000 liters of processed water, ie waste plus pure.

-

You haven't got air in your filter housings have you? When I change the pre filters on mine if I forget to bleed the air out of them I get high readings. Can also get air in the membrane housing as well which affects it

How do you bleed ro? Also I've changed pipes made them longer put a loop in to keep Membrain wet all time,I been looking at photos I took of bosses van and notice that pipes are higher then RO it self can bet that's where been going wrong [emoji15]

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums app

Both my pre filter housings have red buttons on the top push them down till water comes out. Makes an immediate difference to my readings.

Then with the water running I lift the end of the membrane housing with the waste valve up so the air comes out. You will hear air coming out of the waste pipe. I've never been told to do this but it made sense to me if your membrane is half covered with air is not going to work as well. And it does improve my readings.

Back