Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

starting up ideas

WCF

Help Support WCF:

adrian5139

hi starting a window cleaning company & looking for something a bit different to offer, thought about the cleaning of solar panels but cant decide on that so was also thinking of investing in a gutter cleaning vac but i dont know anyone who has one nor anyone whos used one. Dont know just how good a service you could offer with this nor how to price it ? also the one i have looked at come with a mirror for inspection, cant understand how you would see a little mirror from on the ground when the pole is up in the air ? any advice would be gratefully recieved as i dont have loads of money to throw at this many thanks everyone hope your enjoying your easter adrian:huh:/emoticons/smile.png

i wouldnt bother, unless you can get stupid money for gutter jobs, i find them a waste of time as the people who want them doing are only doing it as there gutters have trees in, just build a good well priced window cleaning round

I love cleaning gutters out. Wouldn't waste the money on a gutter vac. I don't see how a Hoover could suck up big chunks of grew together grass and muck? Or get in behind the slates. Some people like to have them

Rinsed to although that dosent really make a difference so the ladder and bucket is the best way.

Maybe you should invest in a petrol power washer?

Yes I would only ever gutter by hand you can see what tour doing then, as for extra services you can add them without buying expensive bits of kit, facia and soffit cleaning, gutters, PVC restoring there's all sorts pal

Most guttering jobs are done very easy by hand and save you £000`s . I would stick to cleaning solar panels and windows

Iv recently started up myself

and wasnt sure what i wanted to go into just windows or pressure washing ect

iv decided to stick to window cleaning connys and upvc cleaning

as if u have a good window cleaning round u dont really need all the mess about of gutter cleans ect imo but oviosly do it if u can

Iv recently started up myself

and wasnt sure what i wanted to go into just windows or pressure washing ect

iv decided to stick to window cleaning connys and upvc cleaning

as if u have a good window cleaning round u dont really need all the mess about of gutter cleans ect imo but oviosly do it if u can
Alot of the gutter jobs I do are from customers I clean windows for. It is quick easy money. £20 for 20 mins work? Also in the winter if you can take bookings for gutters ie: get 10 jobs for 1 day = £200+ your laughing!!

Ya i know theres ok money in it but it would take me longer than 20mins to do a house prob more like hr per house imo dragging the ladder round ect

i'm not saying i wont do them but i don't advertise this service just enjoy being firmly on the floor lol

i worked with a guy last year who did them and i also did them i aint been asked yet so glad lol i wont turn them down tho /emoticons/smile.png

Depending in the size of the house and how bad they are. Sometimes you get up once and that's the front gutters cleaned. I charge £20 for gutters front and back, and usually wouldn't take anymore than half hour.

Can someone tell

Me what imo stands for as it is starting to big me lol

in my opinion (imo) /emoticons/smile.png
Lol, we will soon all be talking in codes lmfao
So what does imfao mean then?!. Im a bit of a luddite with these things, had to ask the wife recently what lmao meant cos i had no idea!, doh!

Ha!, i think i've sussed it, by reading what i typed above!

Sorry mate, right over my head!.

Does the f stand for fat?, or something else?!. Better stop this anyway, we are hijacking this thread!.

I wouldn't charge as much as £20 for 20mins, my customers would think I was robbing them. It all depends on the size of the job.

If you are struggling to price gutters, go with £3 per meter and see how that does. If its one of my own customers, we just give them an hourly rate, then estimate the cost based on that. I prefer to do that with my custies so I can keep it as reasonable as possible. Most prefer this, and it avoids you over or under charging them.

As for you business plan, it doesn't sound like anything new. You have the right idea, and generally if it works, don't try to fix it. Work the way other window cleaners work and offer similar services, and see how it goes. If things are not working, then you can adjust. We never diversified our service at all, just stuck to window cleaning for the last 5 years and have did well, however I have recently started doing gutters, and find it is an easy additional service to add on with little additional investment in equipment. I would second other users advice about doing it by hand, and keep things simple to begin with.

hi adrian gutter clearence is a good add on but like any other cleaning service its about experience im using a gutter vac for the last year and still learning i agree with what the lads have said about price i aim for a minium of 40 for a mid terrace also some gutters have little gardens growing in them most of these can be tackled with a weed hook which is a tool that is attached to the pole to remove this **** but on occasion if the roof tile or slate is tight to the gutter edge then its ladders i also check for blockages in the down spouts otherwise its a waste of time clearing the gutters as the rainwater will still overflow and the problem still exists i also think its very important how you sell the service as this wil get you a better price im using the eastern trading kit the more preffered option seems to be the omnivac but its expensive my advice to you is to do plenty of research before spending the money good luck anyway

I wouldn't charge as much as £20 for 20mins, my customers would think I was robbing them. It all depends on the size of the job.

If you are struggling to price gutters, go with £3 per meter and see how that does. If its one of my own customers, we just give them an hourly rate, then estimate the cost based on that. I prefer to do that with my custies so I can keep it as reasonable as possible. Most prefer this, and it avoids you over or under charging them.

As for you business plan, it doesn't sound like anything new. You have the right idea, and generally if it works, don't try to fix it. Work the way other window cleaners work and offer similar services, and see how it goes. If things are not working, then you can adjust. We never diversified our service at all, just stuck to window cleaning for the last 5 years and have did well, however I have recently started doing gutters, and find it is an easy additional service to add on with little additional investment in equipment. I would second other users advice about doing it by hand, and keep things simple to begin with.
£20 for gutters cleaned front and back ( terrace/semis ) is very reasonable, and i would not climb a ladder for any less. even if it takes 10 min ( 1 person each side ) then it is still worth £20..

if the triple ladders are needed then it will be even higher £30 or £40, you need to realise gutters are more dangerous than cleaning windows.

If your customers are quite happy paying someone £60 per hour to sSwear word!e dirt out there gutters then fair play. I don't think someone would pay that up here for someone to come up with a ladder and bucket and charge that.

Why is gutter cleaning more dangerous than window cleaning? I am still working with tools on a ladder either way.

Back