Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Small window panes

jamiesmack

Hi All,

As you know I'm only just starting out and Im trying to get to grips with all of the different types of windows etc. Ive got a clean to do tomorrow with these old, small panes. How would you usually go about cleaning these? would you just wfp as usual or is there a better way?

View attachment 5436

First clean for us would be tops of the sash windows first all the way round. Then come back and do the bottoms once the top section has finished dripping. (You maybe able to also do the tops of the bottom sash windows at the same time you do the tops of the upper sash windows as they usually stay dry.) Generally, a soft brush is better. Through experience we have found that if we scrub too much on painted sash windows, we make them streak more, so we are inclined to treat as a normal maintenance clean and redo as necessary.

Painted frames and old putty will most likely streak so you have to be prepared to do them again once they have dried off. We have found in the majority of cases that they do get better with time.

What Spruce said plus keep an eye on the gap where the sash windows meet. I had one that left like a dirty swirl on the glass for a few cleans. There was a gap in the putty of the upper glass on the lower sash and years of dust was in there, so whenever I brushed it it would fetch the dust out. All sorted now but I scratched my head for a few cleans wandering WTF was causing it.

Back