Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

wfp conversion

Chris B

I've recently changed from trad to wfp.im loving having minimised the chances of breaking my neck from falling off of a ladder. I've found the first wfp clean is taking just as long as trad, making sure I thoroughly clean all the frames. I'm hoping this will speed up in time. My question is do you do the frames first each time then work round the windows afterwards to avoid frame drip?

I wash the frames of the window then I find once you've done vertical parts of the frame the top has stopped dripping, then I do the glass

Cheers, think I might have used a too higher flow setting on the first clean, I got a bit excited using the wfp for the first time.

Hi Chris. Welcome to the forum.

Basically yes is the answer to your question unless you choose not to do the frames every time. I find that some need it and others don't so I do whatever is necessary to leave the windows and frames looking good. There's not much point leaving the windows clean if the frames are filthy

Like you have found, it is absolutely worth taking the time on those first cleans getting as much dirt out from round the frames as possible. There is a lot of good advice on here regards to method etc. However, not all of it will apply to every window. So if you try something and it doesn't work try another way. A lot of it just requires common sense. You will find your own way/method so to speak. And you will get quicker as your confidence grows.

Cheers Marko, I've been turning the water off and running the brush over the sills at the end to try & keep them clean. I was considering trying to rig up a cheap extension pole with a u shape at the end to attach a cloth to wipe first floor sills more effectively . Have you found the brush wipe enough for your customers?

Invest in a sill brush, they make top sills a doddle.

Scrub top of frame quick, sides then glass, then bottom and sill, quick (and I do mean quick) rinse, on to the next.

You say it yourself, 'Just started WFP' and just like fast trad work, it takes time to do it well and get it right fast.

check the bottom ledges when finished, you will findledges are not always left clean especially if you check after you have done a couple more. houses, go back and look

usually i wipe ledges with dryish scrim. change to dryer one when too wet. they can see the lower sills more . they dont look at higher sills regular, but will notie the windows more up top./

i have a chap who thinks just wiping the sills with the brush is good enough. sometimes its not, all depending on width of sills

Remember they see what you see.

I carry a short squeegee for doing downstairs ledges. Usually run it over the ledge followed by a microfibre cloth. It's quick and leaves them nice.

I don't know what it is about me and sill brushes. I've not found one yet I can work with. Brilliant on the sills but I hate em on the glass. On upstairs work, after finishing the glass I usually raise my arms, and thus the pole to adjust the angle of the bristles and then run the brush along the ledge. If a customer wants more then I take the time to adjust the brush head till it points down and redo the ledges. However, I can count on one hand the number of customers who have ever required me to do this

I've recently changed from trad to wfp.im loving having minimised the chances of breaking my neck from falling off of a ladder. I've found the first wfp clean is taking just as long as trad, making sure I thoroughly clean all the frames. I'm hoping this will speed up in time. My question is do you do the frames first each time then work round the windows afterwards to avoid frame drip?
Like trad first cleans on wfp take longer to clean then regular clean so don't worry about the time for first cleans your also find your use more water on first cleans. Frames first then glass if you get drips then frames to dry while doing other frames then go back doing glass

Got to admit li like the sill brush for first cleans but now prefer the ultimate for maintenance cleans also they are slightly lighter and like Mark067 says I just raise my arm to angle the brush to clean the sill, I do use brush bumper as I do a lots of wooden clad houses to prevent scratching the sides.

After the first clean I tend to rub the brush over the top frame without water on, then do glass and side frames with water on and give the sills a good few swipes with the water off to stop the drips. The old ladies love it because it looks like you are giving the sills a good thorough clean.

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Unless it needs cleaning above the top frame i do the top frame and the rest of them.and the glass together and then rinse

If.the downstairs sills are bitty I will run my little squeegee over them

If you don't have a sill brush stand to the side of the window so you can use the width of the brush on the sill as it drags all the dirt to the edges then off the side of the sill

I leave the water on when i do the sills as it cleans them a lot better

Don't worry about drips as it is clean water dripping off and won't affect the window underneath at all

If you've got customers you've been using trad on for years then the first half a dozen times you use WFP you'll find the **** that has collected under the frame and trapped above the sill will rinse out and look awful. This will reduce over time as I have found on some of my customers, but the easiest way is to just use the same brush without water at the end and pull towards you side on to the sill. This is usually enough for me the first few times. If downstairs are as bad then just use a scrim to mop it up until less dirt runs on future cleans.

Good luck, I made the move in April and I love it. Earning more money than ever before without any risk!

Latest Posts

Back