Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Gutter/soffit/fascia cleaning help

adamangler

Wakefield Window Warrior
Done a couple of gutter, fascia, soffit cleans now and feel there must be a better way, im using an slx 22 with a extreme dual medium mixed brush seem to be towing a bit, water takes ages to rinse off underside of gutter and soffits, i put a microfibre on brush in the end and wiped clean but it got wet clean from brush.

firstly what brush should i be using? is there a brush that glides along rather than this that seems to stick

secondly is there an attatchment you can buy to stick a microfibre on end of pole as wiping clean seems to be the best way

thirdly i use APC or TFR seems fine but is there owt better?

fourthly is it quicker to get up ladders?

Done a couple of gutter, fascia, soffit cleans now and feel there must be a better way, im using an slx 22 with a extreme dual medium mixed brush seem to be towing a bit, water takes ages to rinse off underside of gutter and soffits, i put a microfibre on brush in the end and wiped clean but it got wet clean from brush.
firstly what brush should i be using? is there a brush that glides along rather than this that seems to stick

Sill brush with fan jets.

secondly is there an attatchment you can buy to stick a microfibre on end of pole as wiping clean seems to be the best way

Rinse more and go over dirty water left with the water turned off.

thirdly i use APC or TFR seems fine but is there owt better?

Try Virosol.

fourthly is it quicker to get up ladders?

No.

I usually wash with a cheap wfp from a portable tank with weak ubik solution, then get up a ladder and wipe it all down with a microfibre cloth. Takes time but the results are usually pretty good. If I can't get up a ladder (over conservatory etc) I attach a cloth to the wfp with clamps and wipe down although you have to wring out the cloth regularly or you can leave smears.

I tend to do the same. Wfp wash the heavy **** off first the detail by hand if need be as wfp even with chems sometimes don’t get it clean enough for me especially bad staining like tiger stripes etc.

Get an old Superlite or sillbrush and put an extra set of fan jets, hose with T connector in the spare holes. Then you have a brush that you can swap between jets if required. Fan jets are great for gutters.

I find there's not much timewise between cleaning with pole or ladder. Just a bit more manual work with ladders.

If I use ladders I use 2 large buckets of warm soapy water. One to keep rinsing the dirt off sponges with, and the other to freshen up the sponge with clean water. I will usually sponge, mop up with microfibre, then buff with dry microfibre. Harder work than just using pole and brush.

There's all different ways, as long as you leave them clean it's all good :thumbsup:

Hi,

I only do gutters fascias by hand, although a 6 or 10 inch applicator on the end of a long pole works too. I charge £1 a metre for emptying gutter, same again for cleaning the gutter and same again for cleaning fascia. So for the full works 3 a metre. Average size 3 bed semi £60-70 and I find most happy to have it done annually. Fairly easy to knock off 4 or 5 a day-so quite good money really!

That seems cheap to me as my gutter clearing prices start from 65 not including cleaning the outside of the gutters, fascias or soffits which I charge roughly about the same for again if they want them doing.

On a three bed semi, I charge £60 to clear out. About £140 to clear out and clean.

On Monday I have a clear out and clean £190. I am not doing these jobs for nothing.

kudos to you guys-I'm happy with 250-300 a day, but if you can do more then you'll be retiring earlier than me I guess! Like I said, it depends on the house. I did a house that had 190 meters of gutter that they wanted emptying not cleaning, I charged 190, took me 2 hours so not bad. Another 4 bed detached was 240, took me 5 hours so the £3 a metre doesn't work out too bad. I suppose I tend to charge a little less than I could so that I have a volume of work that I can do regardless of the weather. Can't remember the last time I had a day off because of the weather as I usually have 4 or 5 gutter jobs lined up at any one time. Those three bed semis I quoted above are for those with a single straight gutter front and back. Takes me under 1.5 hrs so didn't think was too bad, Ill have to put up my prices!

daniel mc could you please tell me how you get all these gutter jobs could do with a few cheers fella

I prefer just to clear guttering out to be honest than fart about cleaning plastics. Reason being on larger buildings you can earn really good money as @Neil found out on the last gutter clearing job he did.

daniel mc could you please tell me how you get all these gutter jobs could do with a few cheers fella
Hi mate, exactly as daveyboy said, you've got the customers already. While you are up the ladder take a look, keep an eye out for green marks down walls, damp patches that could indicate they have a problem with the gutters. I normally just say, noticed the gutters/fascias looking a bit grubby, would you like me to clean them for you? I tell them straight away that it's best for me to do them on a wet day as the green stuff is softer and wipes off easier. I offer it as an annual service, most times they take up the offer.

sore subject this post after I did that one on friday good thing with me is I soon forget and move on..

I am trying to establish a price per metre as it makes it so much easier I find..re ze german post...

but as for the quickest and easiest way to do em....I will get there eventually..

funny thing was next door to ze german he had me doing his a long time back and I was cleaning them off ladders and in the end I said to him I only do one hour at a time as I found it too hard and boring...

so hes not asked me for ages but I think he must have seen me next door...now hers were quite clean his are now very dirty so...I think he may get a shock if he asks me to clean em now .

thank god they dont come along too often...its bloomin hard work../emoticons/biggrin.png

I charged £50 for a 4 bed detached, fascia, soffits and external cleaning of gutters and downpipes yesterday, took 1 hr 1/2 so about right, i did my first one for £20 so im getting better at this quoting lark.

Just quoted a small conny at £100 inside and out and got the job, wheras id been doing them at nearer 50 quid.

One i day i will smurf my prices properly until then im happy to learn as i go

Back