Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Downsize To Cut Costs

bigchris

Hi I'm new to the site but been cleaning windows for yonks. Looking at trying to save some money an go down to one car an ditch my old heap of a van. This will save me a fortune but I'm a bit worried about going from van mount to diy trolley. What on a practical day to day level are the pros an cons ??? got no choice anyway . Just worried about the transission

Car will have to be put on business insurance to make sure it's covered,

Carry less water, so more trips with it.

Car could get wrecked if not careful

Trad bottoms !!!

I carry 120 litres each day and I can get a full day out of this average around 15 houses so it can be done

Just get a backpack and a few barrels .

i reckon i will save myself close to 200 quid a month by getting rid of my van an just using the family car.I have all my RO and DI gear at home so i dont carry all that anyway , i just fill up from my water butts in the garden. As all my work is local i will just be popping home to fill up smaller 25litre containers more often . Trad bottoms anyway to save water. Its just a case of changing my work routine . Thanks for replys chaps

Would a trailer be an option??? Your car will get wet and a bit ruined.

I used to carry 4x25l barrels and do wfp tops only, got 25 houses from this easy. Lasted me all day. Use a tap to save water.

It is a faff getting gear in and out of a car compared with van, but with the right car like an estate this would help.

i reckon i will save myself close to 200 quid a month by getting rid of my van an just using the family car.I have all my RO and DI gear at home so i dont carry all that anyway , i just fill up from my water butts in the garden. As all my work is local i will just be popping home to fill up smaller 25litre containers more often . Trad bottoms anyway to save water. Its just a case of changing my work routine . Thanks for replys chaps
Cant you try cut some costs and put prices up at the same time?

Hi all, the family is an old toyota carina had it ten 10 years its been brilliant so if it gets wrecked in its final years its ok . The problem is going to be the hatchback opening with ladders on the roof thats gonna be a ball ache . I 'll just have to guggle the work between trolley days an ladder days as not all custies like me using wfp . Been looking at 25lit water containers on amazon only 5 quid !!! are they any good ???? And as regards putting up prices thats another story ,stuck in a time warp on that one as i'm sure lots of us are on this site .

Do you have children?

I assume so as your keeping car and not van.

Jut an idea, a smallish transit minibus or similar might be more beneficial for you /emoticons/smile.png

My lads are all older now an one has his own car, so its very rare we are all in the car together any more ,thats why i dont mind wreckin my old car . But when i up grade i will be looking at the bigger cars as you say because you can get the multi use out of them. For camping trips an the like.

Hi all, the family is an old toyota carina had it ten 10 years its been brilliant so if it gets wrecked in its final years its ok . The problem is going to be the hatchback opening with ladders on the roof thats gonna be a ball ache . I 'll just have to guggle the work between trolley days an ladder days as not all custies like me using wfp . Been looking at 25lit water containers on amazon only 5 quid !!! are they any good ???? And as regards putting up prices thats another story ,stuck in a time warp on that one as i'm sure lots of us are on this site .
Im not so sure about that, Yeah there will be a few that will complain there mostly always is, unless you only have a few customers its very unlikely that your going to make a loss.

Back