Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Van mount poll..

WCF

Help Support WCF:

How is your hose reel set up?

• I have a roller guide fitted into the side of the van

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
M

MrBump

In my quest to speed up I am thinking of cutting a hole in the floor at the back of my van for a roller guide so I can leave the hose reel in my van and still be able to lock it. I currently take the hose reel out and connect it to my pump hose I've fixed between the door and the bumper outside. How do you work every day with your van mount and what do you guys do with your hose reel?

I have mine weldered to the ceiling, it's the perfect height.

Mr Bump, can you lock the cab part, with the back door open?

That sounds pretty cool. I'm guessing that means it stays in the van then and you leave the doors open? Its not the cab I'm worried about, it's the back I want to keep locked /emoticons/wink.png

Yes that's right, I've never had anything nicked as most of my work is in driveways, and when I am parked on a road, it's usually always in eyeline.

I have a VW Caddy and one door is very small, have you got a similar setup? That would be more secure, as it's too narrow to get anything out /emoticons/smile.png

I have a transporter. Like the look of caddys too, my next choice if ever I need another van or want to downsize. I have other tools aside from my wfp stuff that I want to keep locked away and nothing will fit through a hose roller guide lol. I'm sure it will all be fine in most cases but I would just rather keep it locked. Ideally just take out pole and plug it in the back, lock it and get to work. Just seeing what everyone else does and how they work and if necessary gets around keeping their van locked.

I'll post up some pics of my van, just waiting for my new phone and I'll snap a few and post them.

Caddy is a good size, but I'm looking up to a Transporter, one of the latest shapes. Is there plenty of space in one of those Mr B? Sorry to hijack the thread!

Yeah I have one of the new shapes, it has a fair amounf of space, have swb version and think its 5.2m3 iirc and its just big enough for me, but the sides are curved alot, unlike trafics and such where the sides are more vertical and flatter, so it took me a while to make some racking to fit it. Got told a lwb has a much bigger turning circle and also a swb is easier to find parking. Went for a t28 as got a good deal on it, but I wish I'd held out for a t30 now. Test drove a 180 and it just rinsed fuel, 140 is a good balance. Getting my van signwritten this week so will have some pics up by the end of the week. Theres far more space than a caddy though by the looks of it so you can't go wrong /emoticons/wink.png

Ok so come on peeps, fill in the poll... What do you do with your hose reel on a day to day?

That's a cool looking set up. I didn't realise there were a few off you who had their reel on the ceiling! So by the looks of it you have two roller guides fitted? Does it get stuck otherwise if you just had one?

Haha, I don't work in poverished areas, I was at a big house on a private estate today with over 2 storey high windows and I left all of my doors open just for the sake of it /emoticons/wink.png But I have some big houses on a high street and some others in busy areas so I would just prefer to keep my tools safe on those :thumbsup:

having the doors shut just gives a bit of peace of mind when you have a few hundred quids worth of gear in the back

No one messes with my van ever -- They all know it is insured by Boarcity, Davyboy and associates!

Good news is due to their lack of references in bank payments I haven't had to pay my premium for 3 months but still get full coverage! /emoticons/tongue.png/emoticons/biggrin.png:p:D:p

Shhh, your going get a letter from them now asking for back payments plus interest /emoticons/biggrin.png

Lukidelux, you voted for 'other...', what might that entail?

My reel is bolted to the floor in the back of my van and I leave the door open I know there is really very little chance of my van being messed with.

I would not cut a hole in the floor of my van but do intend in the near future to fit one behind the rear number plate and have the plate hinge mounted.

Thats a cool idea :thumbsup: I think it would be easier to cover a small hole on the floor than the door if ever I wanted to sell it, although there might not be much in it. Issue would be on mine is that the number plate is on the door I open most often so would get in the way, also the reel would be unloading at a slighy angle, whereas I could put the hole in the floor directly infront of the reel.

Getting a colour matched door would be more effort for me, but I'm sure both could be hidden with some ply lining anyway /emoticons/biggrin.png The door that the hole would be in is off to the side of the reel so it wouldn't unwind smoothly, plus thats the door I open to get to anything I need, different brushes, microfibres etc all stored by that door. It is a very cool idea though :thumbsup:

New van water tank arrives tomorrow, which means I will be moving the reel from the side door to the back. The spare wheel is below it, so should be safe to make a hole there for some rollers... Famous last words :whistle: If that fails, making a hole in the door may actually be easier as you can see both sides etc but there are still the issues said above. I will have a look tomorrow and see whats what. One way or another I'll have something....

Infact its just occured to me of something I totally forgot about that I thought about a while ago (but I got scared about cutting a hole in my new van!), now your hinged number plate idea has got me thinking maybe I could do it somehow... Cheers... Watch this space :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Back