Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

First Day out (How Old)(Average age ?)

WCF

Help Support WCF:

L

lenny

Hello All

First post here, just to introduce myself and general rambling of my first day out.

I'm a born again Window cleaner, just doing Saturdays only. I'm working a combo of trad for lower level and wfp (not pure water) for upper, so Customers require a tap to connect to pole. to get round not having pure water, I have fitted a soap dispenser into the hose, i fill the dispenser with neat screen wash -10 degrees. Touch would this appears to be working for me after multiple goes on my own property. It seem that the Meth-alcohol is doing its job at vaporizing the water from the glass, hopefully with a combination of good technique.

Downstairs I'm traditional, I've been boiling and filtering my own water /emoticons/smile.png dont laugh, crude method, but I'm happy with the results. So I carry a Gallon of the water plus 3 spray bottles with concoction fairy and rinse aid in 2 bottles and the 3rd Bottle filtered water with Screen wash.

Anyway, the 2 Houses I done yesterday was 2 large houses, the 1st took me 1.5 hrs and was mostly flat glass end of terrace so easy to get round. The 2nd house large detached took 3 hours, but was all leaded. The customer want happy with the previous Cleaner who stopped, due to too many water marks, the cleaner was using, p-wfp.

So I pretty much hand cleaned the house by hand, trad, squeegee, scrim, micro-cloth to finish.

Customer Happy, tipped me and told me I got the Job monthly plus to go and do another family member to boot.

Good day but knackered, I'm 52, just wondering what the average age of window cleaners are, am I to old and it a young mans game.

Im 35 and i can either feel great after a days work or falling asleep it all depends on how hard you graft.

As for your methods they seem a bit bizzare, and 1.5hrs to clean an end terraced, 3 hours for a detached? i hope you get a bit quicker!

I wouldn't let the age thing even factor into it....

Can't really comment on your upstairs cleaning methods as I don't do WFP cleaning although that will be changing before the year is out.

Can't understand your traditional methods. There's no need to purify or boil the water if you're squeegeeing.

Anyway, good for starting and hope you pick up work left right and centre

BTW, I'm 45, started in 1991 and still going strong

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a wimp n my body feels the strain at 43, I do a mix off wfp n trad, but really no ladder work. I do consider myself a hard worker at times, as my body let's me know it's struggling, hopefully last till im 65, as mortgage finishes then.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Been doing this since i was 15 part time and since 1991 (16) full time apart from 3 years in the forces

Sometimes i feel my age and others i feel like a youngster still

Beats any other job as it keeps my fitness up and is easy work

My dad swapped over to WFP at 59 years old, age is just a number really.

I turn 35 this year and i must admit after 7 years of WFP i am starting to get a few niggly RSI pains here and there. But i put in a 5 day week every week and then some. By the end of the year or within 12 months i should be down to 3 days a week.

My dad plans on going to 70 WFP then services until he cant anymore he enjoys it too much.

My dad swapped over to WFP at 59 years old, age is just a number really.
I turn 35 this year and i must admit after 7 years of WFP i am starting to get a few niggly RSI pains here and there. But i put in a 5 day week every week and then some. By the end of the year or within 12 months i should be down to 3 days a week.

My dad plans on going to 70 WFP then services until he cant anymore he enjoys it too much.
@Damo are you planning to be off the glass completely anytime soon or just looking to reduce your physical working week?

Hi, no not at all. I plan to work 1-3 days a week.

And the other vans out will make up for the income I lose /emoticons/smile.png

Will never come off the glass. My business model is different to most.

I'm 51. Been on the glass 35 years and a few years part time before that. I've never had a real job and I've only worked 3 days a week for years. I don't feel any different to what I did when I was 16. And it's trad all the way for me.

I'm 39, 40 in October. Started three years ago after 12.5 years in banking. Still play footy regularly on a Sunday but feel it much more on a Monday morning!! Looking at setting up another business so when time comes i can take it easier lol. As mentioned 40 this year and 20 of us going to Ibiza, think I'll feel my age then!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums

Hi Lenny, I've just started with a mix of wfp and trad, I'll be 60 this year and loving it, just got a signed contract from a friend who is a property developer with 33 properties in my area, good luck with your new venture mate

I'm 51. Been on the glass 35 years and a few years part time before that. I've never had a real job and I've only worked 3 days a week for years. I don't feel any different to what I did when I was 16. And it's trad all the way for me.
Got to love a trad windy [emoji1303]

Trad is still the best imo

Was trad from 1990/1991 until 3 years ago

Now i do wfp tops and trad or wfp bottoms depending on the job but just had enough of ladders

Wfp is a means to an end

Trad is an enjoyable art form to do well to a good standard with no detailing allowed as per my mate polzn bladz

First in ever heard of your wfp method? What made you even think to try that
Hi CHWS

What made me think to try that. Well, I'm only part time and just starting out. I don't have a ladder, hence wfp to re-place the ladder. I don't have a van, so I don't have the facility to carry pure water. So explored ways around the hard water problem and found that by fitting a soap dispenser into my Hose and filling the dispenser with minus -10 Windscreen Wash appears to do the job leaving no water marks :) Lower level Windows all Trad.

Latest Posts

Back