Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Getting laughed at when i tell people my plan

harunh

I told my missus and her family about my window cleaning business idea/plan and they laugh at me thinking its the worst idea ever.... but really i know its a great idea...

My missus's mother told me that its only good for 2 months when its sunny i go no its good all year round people want a year round service ect

It puts me down but at the same time i think its the best idea ive ever thought off..

Also they say to me get a 9-5 job ect... but they really think theirs not much money to be made doing this... they think am going to buy a van.... and equipment and waste all my money i have saved up etc.... but im really confident it will work.... i will be canvassing by my self.... i will be dropping business cards a lot aswell.... basically i really am business minded which really helps alot /emoticons/biggrin.png

When you talk to someone and say am a window cleaner people will think omg lol... but really you are probably earning more then what they earn in reality !

Has any one else on here been in my position ? Lol

Going into any kind of new business venture will worry the people around you, if they think window cleaning is a risk; ask them to think of a different business with less risk.

Good luck with your business

Richard

Yeah, plenty, but most actually go out and clean windows, instead of just talking about it.

All my family and main friends are behind me but i have had a few people say well what u going to do if this or this happens ect saying i should stick to a 8 till 4 job

well i'm 7 weeks in and already proving them wrong and i aint even got started yet

i recently quite my afternoon paye job which i was pritty close to some of the employees there and thay where really happy for me that i'm doing something on my own.1 or 2 did say u sure this is a good idea and i earn more in a day than i earn there in a week lol

just prove them wrong mate and u really need to get out there with a ladder and a flyer and start getting customers

badbusdriver.... i need my driving license then i can start my business... and no i wont go and buy ladders and start.... i dont wnat ot use ladders for my own safety..... once i get my van... i will go canvassing like mad and be dropping leaflets a lot mate..... i read a story the other day of a person falling of a ladder and going to hospital.... i dont want to use ladders.... i will just stick to wfp.... so im afraid am going to have to continue talking about it.... for the time being lol

Yeah, i hear you, i wouldnt be happy going up ladders, but you dont have to. I have said on other threads about an old windy who lives round the corner from me and uses a bike. He used to be trad only, but he has a basic wfp system as well as his ladder for upstairs. Its perfectly feasable to carry 100kg+ on a cargo bike or a trailer. Again, as has been mentioned before, what if you fail your licence again?. If you really want to be a window cleaner, you should have a backup plan, and you could be out there getting experience right now.

Am going to phone some local window cleaners so i can get hands on experience /emoticons/smile.png I dont want to get a bike or nothing lol ! i think the best bet for me is... to ask a window cleaner if i can come with them and get some experience ect..... bus badbusdriver the downfall is they may be scared cos another window cleaner is starting around his area.... so they might say no ? lol... but some people may be really happy am phoning them /emoticons/smile.png

9 out of every 10 new businesses fail.

But to show concern by laughing at someone isn't the way to do it, businesses are made when people are supported and motivated.

I couldn't thank my wife enough for all the encouragement she has given me, and all the positive word.

She doesn't know how much I love her for sticking by me, and she probably never will, but the last 6 years successes have been down to her pushing me out the door and making sure I get up when my alarm goes off, and encouraging me to keep calling businesses back.

I'm sure your family mean no harm, but obviously they've had an effect on you, so work hard and explain your plan more.

Am going to phone some local window cleaners so i can get hands on experience /emoticons/smile.png I dont want to get a bike or nothing lol ! i think the best bet for me is... to ask a window cleaner if i can come with them and get some experience ect..... bus badbusdriver the downfall is they may be scared cos another window cleaner is starting around his area.... so they might say no ? lol... but some people may be really happy am phoning them /emoticons/smile.png
I wouldnt think they would be scared of you wanting to get experience before starting up yourself, unless they are a rubbish window cleaner!.

the problem you have is no one likes people doing better in life than themselves, as a lot of people are conditioned to work in a job and earn 2-300 a week, and if they lucky get some over time, go out earn a 1k a week, which is possible and tell them where to stick it

is a good idea i was with a guy last year and loved it well hated beging treated like i neeed to be told how to do it after 6 months tho lol

at first tho i was like a sponge soaking up all the information asking questions ect ect :]

I had this trouble pal, it will pass my misses didn't like the idea but she is well behind me now and even cones up with ideas to make business better, let it go over your head mate I did.

Why not go and buy an a frame ladder or extension pole and go look for first level shops? Or bungalows? And go trad? At least until you get your van and wfp setup. Prove them wrong, go out with a book and pen and just walk around and fill the book up!

I just phoned a local window cleaner.... he said to me i got a van full... ect... he goes you can come down and look at the system i use.... and use it on his home windows.... he said i can have a go off it.. etc... he goes... its good to know what your buying... he goes hes got a pure freedom trolley and gardiners pole ( izactly what i want ) he said he went to see another lcoal window cleaners equipment before he bought his... he said come down next week and that will be fine /emoticons/smile.png he seemed really decent

Started cleaning windows 1996. Talking with my dad only this tuesday and was telling him that me and my wife's ambition for our sons (x3) was to be window cleaners and pioneer (some will know what I mean). His response was that they should perhaps get a 'proper job' (and pioneer later).

After 16 years he still doesn't see it as a proper job.

Oh well

I know what you mean mate. My mum said yesterday it is a stupid idea. I think they fear everything going wrong, but they don't realise it can be vital to have support. You need to be extra strong minded person if you don't have support from family and friends. Don't lose the vision.

People are pretty negative about people starting out cause of the so called recession. They think custys will stop having windows done to save money - it ain't the case - women always want them cleaned lol

People are more likely to stop newspapers or sky tv if they are struggling financially /emoticons/biggrin.png

If someone laughs at you, just tell em to go do one!

Window cleaning is a very safe industry. Despite the amount of people doing it, there are a growing proportion of people that need it done. No one's going to climb up a ladder and clean their own windows for £10. Get the pros to do it, easier and safer! As for commercial window cleaning, can you imagine a man in a suit climbing out of his window to do it himself?lol

badbusdriver.... i need my driving license then i can start my business... and no i wont go and buy ladders and start.... i dont wnat ot use ladders for my own safety..... once i get my van... i will go canvassing like mad and be dropping leaflets a lot mate..... i read a story the other day of a person falling of a ladder and going to hospital.... i dont want to use ladders.... i will just stick to wfp.... so im afraid am going to have to continue talking about it.... for the time being lol
your right people do fall off ladders but people also have car accidents people will be laughing at you because you keep talking about doing it but havent started yet how do you know its for you? you could spend all that money on equipment and not like it, also your gona need a few customers behind you to cover running costs seriously go out get a ladder and a squeegee and get cracking ladders are safe as long as you use them properly you can even get a standoff and a ladder stopper to make them even safer. start small and work your way up

also harunh you wont be able to use wfp if youre in an area thats got a hosepipe ban inforce you can only use it if you started up before the 15th of march

HAVE YOU CHECKED OUT THE PRICE OF INSURING YOUR VAN AS A NEW DRIVER WITH BUSINESS INSURANCE INCLUDED :huh:

--------------------------------------------

COUNT THE COST :cool:

Back