Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

No idea what I'm doing on insides!

PureCleanYorkshire

Hey! I'm a long time stalker first time poster. I have a well established residential wfp round but this morning i was asked to quote to clean a pub. Now when i got there he said they'll also need the insides cleaning and in a split second decision that i WANTED this job i said no problem. I've more than quoted according and got the job so now i have dilemma of how to clean the insides. He wants them cleaning Friday so i don't have much time to prepare..I have no trad cleaning experience at all.. so do i get some trad gear and practice at home or do i get a karcher window vac and blast them like that? I think the karcher vac is the easiest way but it worries me about how 'professional' it's going to look using a bit of kit that any Joe blogs can get from Argos.. thoughts please!

Don't get a window vac they are rubbish and look unprofessional get your self some traditional gear they do a 7 piece set in Screwfix with a 10" and 14" squeegee, applicator, bucket and cloths all for £21 well your there pick up some unger window cleaning solution and your sorted for the basics it's not the best kit but will help you out. As for technique do straight pulls if your learning you can't go wrong just take loads of scrims or micro fibres for detailing

Get a solution in a spray bottle and spray the windows and squeegee it of with a rag on the window seal to catch water, then run around the corners and over any smears with a clothe used for cleaning glasses people wear it's a silky type of cloth. If they want tracks done then any old cloth will do just wet it with the solution and scrub the tracks clean removing any build up..

For tec

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Get a solution in a spray bottle and spray the windows and squeegee it of with a rag on the window seal to catch water, then run around the corners and over any smears with a clothe used for cleaning glasses people wear it's a silky type of cloth. If they want tracks done then any old cloth will do just wet it with the solution and scrub the tracks clean removing any build up..
For tec

No need to scrub??

Just do it like this

Get microfibre from wilkos to detail with

3 quid called glass cleaning cloth

[media]

[/media]

Best way is learn from YouTube and practice on your own windows. Take plenty of cloths to stop the solution dripping on the inside window sills. I usually use an old shower curtain if I'm cleaning the inside of patio doors or full length windows.

If you can get the customer to move any ornaments off the window sills that will save you a lot of time & hassle.

Cheers guys! So I'm taking your advice and going with trad kit.. but I've only got tonight to practice! :eek:

For internals only will i need a bucket or would i be okay just spraying either direct into the mop or spray window and then mop it?

And i think one last question, the place recently had a small fire so some windows are sooty.. would you prefer was these with a rag or would a 'normal' clean bring it straight up?

A spray is good but for dirty sooty windows you will want a bucket to keep rinsing the applicator

If you can't get your head round fanning the windows then just do straight pulls if you have to and wipe up any water left round the edges with microfibre

Awesome. Thanks buddy. They're not horrifically sooty anyway /emoticons/smile.png I've watched a fair few videos and it doesn't look that hard.. famous last words?? Any idea if the screwfix set is of decent quality? Or would you pay the extra for the unger stuff?

A spray is good but for dirty sooty windows you will want a bucket to keep rinsing the applicatorIf you can't get your head round fanning the windows then just do straight pulls if you have to and wipe up any water left round the edges with microfibre

Either tool station pro clean range or screwfix window cleaning range are good if in a pinch, but a bit overpriced. £1 Bucket from b&q, lots of microfibres from wilkos and 1/2 an old tea towel for sills. Practice like mad today, just do straight pulls, you won't master fanning in a day go for a 10/12 inch as they're easier to get used to. After this job practice tradding as much as you can, its an invaluable skill. Also don't rush, however tempting, that where mistakes happen. As for soap, washing up liquid works very well so as it's a one off just use that

Either tool station pro clean range or screwfix window cleaning range are good if in a pinch, but a bit overpriced. £1 Bucket from b&q, lots of microfibres from wilkos and 1/2 an old tea towel for sills. Practice like mad today, just do straight pulls, you won't master fanning in a day go for a 10/12 inch as they're easier to get used to. After this job practice tradding as much as you can, its an invaluable skill. Also don't rush, however tempting, that where mistakes happen. As for soap, washing up liquid works very well so as it's a one off just use that

Thanks again, what are the best cloths to use to wipe edges up. I keep seeing the word scrim but is that something i can get at a normal shop today? Is it just a 100% cotton cloth?

Sorry about my post I forgot to say you need a applicator aswell so spray the window and scrub with applicator then squeegee it off and detail with the glasses cloths they work the best
a82f61b07fd5cb61c39891279e89fcc5.jpg

Thanks again, what are the best cloths to use to wipe edges up. I keep seeing the word scrim but is that something i can get at a normal shop today? Is it just a 100% cotton cloth?
You can use scrim or microfibre. I use scrim personally but they essentially to the same job. It'll be a challenge to find any at short notice, su just use a microfibre.

B&M and similar budget home stores and most supermarkets often stock microfibre glass cleaning cloths. They aren't as good as professional microfibre scrims you can buy online but they will do fine for a one off job and you can pick them up today without any problem.

Trad is simple when you know how

Every windie should know how to do it as if i have to do insides no problem

I like to trad bottoms anyway as i enjoy it

If my van mount breaks i will still work all day trad with no ladders and earn while waiting for parts

Thanks for all the help everybody! Really appreciate it! I've end up going for that screwfix 7 piece kit, some replacement unger rubbers because i read the ones that come with it are ****, some unger concentrate and some glass cloths from wilkos for detailing. Wish me luck! I'll update tomorrow with how it's gone!

I've got this to a Tea. I Binned the Blade and Applicator and haven't used one since going wfp here's how I do insides with great results. 1. Get yourself a bag of Microwipe Glass Cloths, one damp as if just come out of a washing machine and one dry. 2. Spray Demon Clean on Glass applying with damp cloth and buff with dry one when cloths get dirty put them in a bag for dirty cloths and get 2 more out the glass will be gleaming and leave a strong Lemon smell so customer will think its done a good job (good psycholgy), and no soapy water flying about, I did a complete one off clean inside out and did all insides with this method, when windows aren't minging just use the damp Microfibres do the job perfectly.demon clean.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
You can't beat tradding for insides

Perfect job and looks more professional than ragging windows

Back