Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Van insurance refuse to insure me and return my money

Amazin

This probably never happened to any of you but my van insurance just refused to insure me and refuse to give back the money (£1867). I got it through A-plan and the insurance company was called ERS insurance. I paid for it on the 15th May and received the bad news yesterday.

The reason is because I didn't mention the fact someone made a claim against me last year. I honestly thought it didn't matter because even the inspector told me it was just some false claim. I wasn't fined and nothing happened after. It is in their booklet that anything don't get mentioned they can keep my money. I always thought that the broker would've have checked and let me know if anything was incorrect, that's what my last broker did. 

Is there anything I can do about it? I feel it's very unfair and robbed. I always thought that the broker would've have checked and let me know if anything was incorrect, that's what my last broker did. luckily I found another company that insured me. 

have a look on the policy they sent you when initially took it out for the cancellation terms as some are up to thirty days. If that fails then straight to their complaints department. if they still refuse then they should issue a letter of deadlock which will then allow you to go to ombudsman (ombudsman won't look at complaint prior to attempting to resolve with company). either way I think you have a strong case, you wouldn't order a meal at a pub pay for it for them to tell you they haven't got it and won't refund you.!!

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

That's a hell of a lot of money for insurance. 

Whenever Ive cancelled insurance I have been refunded.

I'm pretty sure what they should have done is rang you and told you about the claim they have found and that as a result of it they would be increasing your premium to x amount. OR cancel your policy refunding any money except the period you've already been covered. So on your case you would pay for the period 15th may till now and get the rest returned.  

That's how it works.

It doesnt sound right at all, but if they have that written into the contract terms you mught have a problem. Having said that if the terms were not clearly explained to you or are somewhat dodgy for qant of a better word them u need to get the contract and  take some legal advise as even though something is in writing it is not necessarily enforceable if it goes against industry practices.  Legal advise and ombudsman I would have thought it doesn't seem like that is standard practice.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think a call to Citizens Advice is in order. I can't believe they can refuse to refund you, charge reasonable costs and return the rest would be acceptable. I tried A-Plan 3 weeks ago and I'm still waiting for them to get back to me. Never encountered such an unprofessional Insurance company. 

As said before financial ombudsman will only help you once you've gone through the appeal process with the insurance company so looks like you'll need to write to complain then possibly again to appeal their decision if it goes against you.

After that the ombudsman can take the case on. CAB is an option to assist you in your appeal.

It's a rotten situation, so I hope it gets resolved in your favour!

thanks for all the replies guys, I will explore all my options and do the best I can. 

have a look on the policy they sent you when initially took it out for the cancellation terms as some are up to thirty days.
guess what, I just searched all my emails and I didn't receive any! I told A-Plan that I want them via email. 

another thing, is it the broker's responsibility to carry out some checks before preceding? after all thats what my previous brokers did. They did that when I was on the phone to them.

I was simply unsure not because I tried to lie to them

Last edited by a moderator:
Back