Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Employees

They can't be self employed if they only work for you, use your equipment, they have to do the work when you say or they don't have to fix stuff in their own time or costs

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Best bet is hourly rate, plus attendance bonus and target bonus, ie 9 ph 5 per day bonus paid at end of month if they don't have unauthorised absence plus 5 per day target bonus, so if they do their job and come in they could earn a extra 200 a month on top of wages, but a lot will depends on what they have to work 10 per day is usually one job

In relation to this , who factors in wages into price of cleaning the Windows? 

I believe you should definitely do this because wages is another expense but it raises the cost of cleaning a person's Windows significantly. I would definitely be an expensive window cleaner according to my calculation s from doing this. 

So is it best to factor in wages into price you quote before employing or just when you start employing? To avoid constant raises I think if you did factor them in you would have to base it on a months wages as though there was enough work already to have employee full time.

why should you increase prices, if taking someone on and you need to raise prices then you shouldnt be taking someone on,  they should be able to work and make money from day 1,  ie they do a extra 30/40 ph worth of work to cover their wages,

You're right I worked things out wrong hahaha.

If the price is right their will still be profit after paying out wages and extra maintenance costs. 

I pay an hourly rate for a fixed 32 hour contract. But I also have a target system where if my staff hit there target for the week, they can go home early. This has worked well for me.

On a side note I would mention I only contract 4 days because I can't guarantee much more than that with the weather.

Allot in my area just pay a commission. Some as low as 40% on a self employed baises.

I know it's not strictly right, but they get away with it.

An employee has to make 30k a year on a full time basis on average just to break even

Holidays, sick, wages, equipment, insurance etc etc

You could have someone out every day but won't make a great deal

When you start earning is when you get to the stage the guy i used to sub off to cover sick and holiday etc

I had work every day as he had 9 people working for him

This was about 9 years ago and then they used to do £20 ph of work for £10 wages ph

He was making £90 ph and then working himself also

A bit (well a lot ) dodgy though as they were all "self employed" although all working for him every day for years

Back