Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

REVERSE OSMOSIS OR DI VESSEL?

Don't make the mistake of thinking only about the financial side of this. First, you want 2 x 11 Ltr Di vessels in sequence on the van & to purify on-demand- this will give you the maximum economy realistically possible. Also this means you can fill your tank at full mains pressure with just tap water having zero effect on resin economy- and top it up from anywhere too.You might end up saving a few quid per week in the long run with a RO based on your input TDS but do you really want to have to remotely purify your water, then pump/decant this into your van tank? Bear in mind the extra time & hassle this will bring on a daily basis. Add to that the storage space you will require & the nightmare that a harsh winter could bring to this set up. Plus if you run out that's it, day over. I would have to be saving a small fortune to be tempted into a RO set up personally. My work preparations consist of this- pull up, plug hose into tank & let it fill until the float valve cuts it off, unplug hose & close van door, that's it!! My time is worth much more to be than the few quid I might eventually save by using a RO system./emoticons/wink.png

Only you can decide which is worth more to you & the level of hassle you are prepared to incur to achieve it.
Helpful post :thumbsup:

With the x2 11L vessel set up within the van - how does the pump deal with bringing the water through the vessels? E.g do you have to have it at a higher setting compared to if it was just pumping pure from the tank?

Cheers fella.

Helpful post :thumbsup:
With the x2 11L vessel set up within the van - how does the pump deal with bringing the water through the vessels? E.g do you have to have it at a higher setting compared to if it was just pumping pure from the tank?

Cheers fella.
The DI vessels present virtually none, if any at all, resistance of water flow for the pump. Di vessels are free flowing, you can very easily flow water through a DI with your mouth. The best sequence is Tank > pump > vessels > hose reel. The pump should push water through the vessels & not pull it for various reasons.

Here are my two 11Ltr DI's connected together and in the van. This method works well for me. My TDs at tap is about 65. I change the resin in one DI every six weeks or there about.

The pump has never had a problem pumping through both.

I wouldn't go for RO unless your tds is higher than 100.

image hosting 20mb

I really envy you lads with low tap water ppm as would make my job so much easier just using twin ro's on demand when I wanted it. That would be so much more flexible and time saving than using a static RO/DI system or van mount and no waste water is created in the process too.

For example for large jobs I could just turn up on site and connect the water feed to the twin DI's and not have to worry if I'm going to run out of purified water or not.

Here are my two 11Ltr DI's connected together and in the van. This method works well for me. My TDs at tap is about 65. I change the resin in one DI every six weeks or there about.The pump has never had a problem pumping through both.

I wouldn't go for RO unless your tds is higher than 100.

image hosting 20mb
Nice one SPC /emoticons/smile.png Do you do the same sequence as detailed above?

'The best sequence is Tank > pump > vessels > hose reel. The pump should push water through the vessels & not pull it for various reasons'

Nice one SPC /emoticons/smile.png Do you do the same sequence as detailed above?
'The best sequence is Tank > pump > vessels > hose reel. The pump should push water through the vessels & not pull it for various reasons'
Yes the same sequence. Never had a problem. Means I can top up my tank at customers address if needed.

Thank you @Smurf I think people loose their way sometimes and throw money at a project without doing the research. If you break it down to the basics and only buy what you really need, to enable you to clean to a high standard, than it can save you a lot of money. I set my van mount up for less than £700. (I have tweaked things since) To me it makes sense.

I like the military way of thinking. K.I.S.S

Here's a couple of pics of mine, although I have to say I like SP's way of connecting the two vessels together also- allows for a bit more movement.
View attachment 6780

View attachment 6781

I found that the vibration caused the vessels to move slightly and therefore I had a leak or two. By wrapping the hose around there is like you say, some slack. I have had no leaks since.

It is always good to see how others set up their vans.

I found that the vibration caused the vessels to move slightly and therefore I had a leak or two. By wrapping the hose around there is like you say, some slack. I have had no leaks since.
It is always good to see how others set up their vans.
Yes, I've had that before although when I changed vans last year I've not had it since. However, I might just change to your way anyway, I like it!!:thumbsup:

Latest Posts

Back