Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

triple DI vessels

Amazin

anyone using that the moment? would that lower the cost down because you're using more vessels? I live on the first floor flate was thinking getting a 50 litre trolley system with triple DI installed inside the van. I will fill up the barrels then transport it to my van and turn it into pure water. will need to install a larger water tank in the van as well

i thault of this a few years back but after a lot of umming and arrring i desided its to much hastle for the very small saving if any . i think double di is the best way ,i no a guy who has pre filters before di he sases it saves loads of resin !!

I've got triple di set up in the van which works great. The ppm is quite high where I am (285) so the 3rd vessel definitely helps to combat this & save on monthly resin spend.

I've never been keen on RO (just a personal preference)

This got brought up a few years back on another forum . And a few brain box types proved somehow that using more than 2 vessels saves you nothing . Also if using the double di route , letting your water go above 000 saves you nothing as well . Convinced me anyway .

I've got triple di set up in the van which works great. The ppm is quite high where I am (285) so the 3rd vessel definitely helps to combat this & save on monthly resin spend.

i thault of this a few years back but after a lot of umming and arrring i desided its to much hastle for the very small saving if any . i think double di is the best way ,i no a guy who has pre filters before di he sases it saves loads of resin !!
so it doesn't really work? seem to be getting mixed opinions here

I don't see how it would work because as soon as the second vessel starts rising above 0 the first one by that time will probably be totally shot and doing nothing at all.

The only way to know for sure would be a experiment. Buy tap water tds fluctuates so it would have to be a controlled experiment not guess work. If anyone has 3 di vessels a spare couple of sacks of resin and a fee days free they could conduct the experiment and let use know.

I have been wondering this myself as I use double di at the moment.

I find that when my ppm rises on the last di from 0. The 1st di still had life in it as it takes my tap water from 140 and still produces 80 ppm.

So theoretically if you put a third one in then your going to go from 140 - 80 - say 4 as example and then final di (the 3rd one) will Polish to 0.

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

I have been wondering this myself as I use double di at the moment.
I find that when my ppm rises on the last di from 0. The 1st di still had life in it as it takes my tap water from 140 and still produces 80 ppm.

So theoretically if you put a third one in then your going to go from 140 - 80 - say 4 as example and then final di (the 3rd one) will Polish to 0.

I can't see how you are ever going to prove this one way or the other in the back of a van. It would involve a rather complicated experiment under 'laboratory conditions'.

I believe you would have to have 2 systems running simultaneously. The 1st system would contain 2 di vessel and the 2nd 3 di vessels. The vessels would need to be identical and you would need to use the same resin from the same manufacturing batch. Both systems would need to draw water from the same source at the same time and the same amount (liters). The reason being that the tds of your tap water fluctuates as will the water's temperature over the course of the experiment.

This wouldn't be an experiment that wouldn't last a few weeks. It would have to last months, even perhaps a full year.

Is it worth the effort?

Its easy to prove on paper that a double di would be more efficient than a single di so for me that would be enough.

I can't see how you are ever going to prove this one way or the other in the back of a van. It would involve a rather complicated experiment under 'laboratory conditions'.
I believe you would have to have 2 systems running simultaneously. The 1st system would contain 2 di vessel and the 2nd 3 di vessels. The vessels would need to be identical and you would need to use the same resin from the same manufacturing batch. Both systems would need to draw water from the same source at the same time and the same amount (liters). The reason being that the tds of your tap water fluctuates as will the water's temperature over the course of the experiment.

This wouldn't be an experiment that wouldn't last a few weeks. It would have to last months, even perhaps a full year.

Is it worth the effort?

Its easy to prove on paper that a double di would be more efficient than a single di so for me that would be enough.

I think this is the reason why I have always wondered and never done it.

How many run two di and does it save resin? I have an ro then one di. Tap water is 360-400 ppm I have read it higher as well but stopped testing. Anyway comes out of the ro at 4-9 occasionally 14.

I change the resin soon as the water hits 1ppm. From what you say a second di would then only have 1ppm to Polish. At what ppm would you then change the first di.

How many run two di and does it save resin? I have an ro then one di. Tap water is 360-400 ppm I have read it higher as well but stopped testing. Anyway comes out of the ro at 4-9 occasionally 14.I change the resin soon as the water hits 1ppm. From what you say a second di would then only have 1ppm to Polish. At what ppm would you then change the first di.
Is the saving worth the equipment costs on a low tds?

In other words, when will the break even point be when the saving of the cost of resin equal the cost of the equipment? Or how long before the equipment has been paid for by the savings? In your case I would imagine this would be a rather long time period.

So for me I would tend to put the cash into something that will have a better return on investment. A couple of brushes? Something that has an immediate return on your investment.

Whilst its important to always be keeping an eye on expenditure, your business wouldn't exist if you didn't generate income. So to me, generating income is the most important.

i use twin di it saves me loads of resin thats good anouth for me . having ro would be a big saving in resin and even more so with twin di after but im on a water meter so im not propaired to chuck half of what i make pure down the drain to then get charged for it sod that, if i was not on a meater tho ide defo get a 1000l ibc tank and go ro even tho my tds is only 70 ish

I did double di for a bit. It takes the edge off the fresh one for a bit. It's just whether it's really worth the hassle. We are 300 ppm where I live. Spent a fortune on resin for years. Then finally took the plunge on a cheap £1k 40" RO and never looked back.

I am sure you have seen my video about twin Di and trust me it works treble really is no worth it and does not work give me a call or a pm if you need to know more had a beer tonight so cant type anymore xxx

Triple DI will work but it would only be worth it with a higher input TDS- I would estimate a minimum of 150ppm. The higher the input TDS the more effective the Third vessel becomes as it can run for longer before it reaches the input TDS and becomes spent- ideally the first (oldest resin) vessel doesn't want to reach the source TDS before the newest vessel begins to rise in ppm. Anyone using an RO where the water output is down to just a handful of ppm will not realistically benefit from a double DI. I have been using twin DI's for around 13 years with an input TDS of anything between 70-100ppm and doing so has saved me a lot of resin expense.

Not sure if you’ll get this as your post was 4 years ago! I’m thinking if the same set up because I can’t process water and store it and my van isn’t parked near the house for a hose all night. Triple DI seems a good idea and I can fill up fast with van parked on the road for 10 minutes. I’ve not tried this method yet but wondered if you’re still using it?

Not sure if you’ll get this as your post was 4 years ago! I’m thinking if the same set up because I can’t process water and store it and my van isn’t parked near the house for a hose all night. Triple DI seems a good idea and I can fill up fast with van parked on the road for 10 minutes. I’ve not tried this method yet but wondered if you’re still using it?
He hasn't been around since the beginning of 2019

Back