Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Transferring from trad to water fed last week !

jordan

So have transferred over to waterfed!

I thought this job was easier it seems to ache the hell out of my arms /emoticons/biggrin.png

have got to say has just been it stressful Sh** week one day i earn't nothing at all as all my customers had streaks after i had left there house i'm reading 000ppm but i think its the soap in the frames as i was doing them traditionally with fairy for 2 years.

IF I KEEP RINSING OVER THESE FRAMES WILL THIS SOAP HOPEFULLY GO AWAY ?

what happens if one day i need to clean a few trad because my water tank is empty and then i have to start again?

whats the BEST way to clean the sills i have a normal pheonix brush is there a technique seems to be so much dirt in the sill under the frame and just keeps dripping out.

From the floor i can never tell what the sills are like after i leave.

Thanks for any help guys!

A good scrub should take the soap out of the rubbers

Excessive rinsing won't solve it..just scrub well

I trad a lot of bottoms and occasionally tops but 1 or 2 cleans trad will make no difference

There won't be a build up of soap. .just a good scrub will do it

When i switched i had no problems or complaints

Just scrubbed well and rinsed

as above mate , thats the best point ever, on 1st cleans its not endless rinsing, its a damn good scrub then a good rinse, i bet most of us earn't a fair bit less on change overs but that soon changes, i find fan jets are best for getting dirt out of the cill gaps

You are doing first cleans, but at least you have chosen the warmer weather to start the change over as the windows dry quicker.

We bought a trad round from glass only cleaners. We immediately changed that to wfp and we were new to wfp as well.

We scrubbed filthy frames and windows and rinsed well. We then moved onto the next 2 houses as the work was very compact. We returned to the first house and recleaned glass only. Did the same with the next two. Rechecked again and had a couple of windows to do again.

Then we started all over again with the next 3.

We earnt something each day although it wasn't much. Changing over to wfp takes time and costs financially. But you are investing in your future.

Once you have got the windows clean and streak free this clean the next clean when you return will be a doddle. We didn't have one issue 2nd time around.

If you are short of water, wfp tops and trad bottoms. For me it wasn't an option as I'm short so needed steps to clean the bottoms anyway. WFPed the lot from day one. If you have to trad a couple of windows be prepared for customers to complain. They could either want you to go back to trad or complain that the traditionally cleaned windows aren't as clean. My advise is to stick with wfp.

You will use a lot a water on the first clean, but you will use less with the following cleans. Its easy to get down and a little despondent now, but you will get through it.

We all ached when we started wfp. Use you legs as well as your arms, stepping back and forward to reduce the size of stroke and effort of your arms. Stand back a bit from the window you are cleaning to reduce neck strain.

Upper window sills can't be seen for the ground. But you can see any bits running off the edges in the water. We have a house that is rather bad with this. Now we just switch the water flow off and run the brush across the sill. In the beginning I lowered the brush and put a towel over the brush head and used that to wipe the sill.

Flushing that gap between the frame and the sill is one of my must do's. However, as I mentioned yesterday, doing this can take longer than washing and rinsing the window. You don't do it trad so why do it wfp. Go around the bottom sills and wipe them with your cloth in the same way you did before. You can't afford to waste water doing it.

-

But if you do trad bottoms - brush them first then squeege straight pulls - don't soap up

I found converting a big round very stressful but

YOU WILL NOT REGRET IT

But if you do trad bottoms - brush them first then squeege straight pulls - don't soap upI found converting a big round very stressful but

YOU WILL NOT REGRET IT
Good idea not using soap @Taxlossloz.

Start as you mean to go on is the saying I was trying to recall earlier.

The trouble is that once he sets a precedence his customer will expect the windows to be bladed each time. They won't see this as his way of doing more work a day to begin with.

-

I keep a cut down squeegee (12cm) in a pocket and just run that along the bottom sills. I may also follow that with a cloth if need be. But it seldom does. Beauty of the squeegee is that at the right angle the blade goes under that little gap and gets a fair bit of the muck out.

I keep a cut down squeegee (12cm) in a pocket and just run that along the bottom sills. I may also follow that with a cloth if need be. But it seldom does. Beauty of the squeegee is that at the right angle the blade goes under that little gap and gets a fair bit of the muck out.
We got a tip from a trad cleaner years ago to cut a squeegee down to the size of your smallest Georgian window. That meant that we didn't use a cloth to have to do them.

Still use that squeegee to wipe down sill, especially in winter when the cloths don't dry.

Good tip.

I have 2 small ones

1 the width of the handle with liquidator clips on the ends so about 2" wider than the handle

1 the exact width ot the handle

The first 1 fits most georgians, top openers and is a perfect fit for the long panes in front doors

The 2nd is for anything even smaller

Both get used for wiping sills when wfp

Gets the muck out easily

Although i never blast them out they are still spotless to the eye and eventually clean themselves out over a couple of cleans

I have 2 small ones1 the width of the handle with liquidator clips on the ends so about 2" wider than the handle

1 the exact width ot the handle

The first 1 fits most georgians, top openers and is a perfect fit for the long panes in front doors

The 2nd is for anything even smaller

Both get used for wiping sills when wfp

Gets the muck out easily

Although i never blast them out they are still spotless to the eye and eventually clean themselves out over a couple of cleans
Most of the problem with these bits are when the sill doesn't slope away properly and drain water from the gap. Water accumulates and algae grows. In those cases I find the problem with every clean.

The question is; how far do we need to go to meet our customer's expectations? Not all our customers will have the same expectations. I believe its good to have higher standards than your customer as this keeps a customer 'loyal'. But sometimes that gap between their expectations and what our service standards are can be reduced over time.

When a cleaner starts wfp cleaning they are inclined to over do it. Its because of inexperience with the cleaning method and being uncomfortable with the equipment. A new customer will always pay closer attention to the quality of the first few cleans. Once they realise that the job is good they will not bother to check unless something is obvious.

I think the gap between what we would call a perfect clean and the customers perception of a perfect clean is bigger than you think

Things that we pick up on they wouldn't even notice

As long as the sill is either squeegee'd or wiped if a problem sill they won't even notice if there is stuff in the gap

Of course its stressfull , youre doing only firstcleans , using muscsles differently , learning the skills , upon that you probably wondering how your custys are gonna take it , new method .

But the biggest stresser in the beginning is (IMO) trusting the polework ... And building enough self confidence .:rolleyes:

...the biggest stresser in the beginning is (IMO) trusting the polework ... And building enough self confidence.
This is so true. Especially when one day early on this young mum walked past me taking her young son to school. The lad says loudly, "Mum, what's that man doing?" Mum says, "Cleaning windows dear." And the little boy replied just as loudly, "Well that's the stupidest thing I ever saw."

Made me literally lol.

Back