Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Am i doing too much?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Damo J

Hi all,

New to forum, and window cleaning.

Trying to start my own round, just weekends at the min as im still working full time, although work is slowing down now.

Just wandering if when you do windows is it standard practice to clean the frames and sills aswell as windows. Or do you charge extra for that?

I did abit of window cleaning for my uncle last summer so my squeegee action aint so bad lol, but i did three houses all next to eachother today and it took me nearly 2 hours. Found cleaning the frames and sills were taking up most of the time. They were all first cleans so i guess next time wont take so long, but starting out on my own wanted to make a good impression.

Any advice would be appreciated.

hi damo,frames usually are charged for.cills i always wipe anyway as iv made the mess if iv used my squeegie.i use water poles so sometimes i will go over the frames with the water pole for little or no cost.this takes seconds with a pole.by hand its more time consuming.my mate does more frames than me.also he,s a totally trad cleaner.can charge up to double depending on time spent on the frames.mate iv been doing it for years and still got work that aint the best priced.balanced out with some work that is priced out very favourable rates in my favour.good luck for the future

Charge a decent price to start with and clean the frames and sills everytime as it is part of the window

Don't take long to wipe a wet cloth round the frames after scrubbing the glass before you squeegee it off

In this economic climate you can't afford to do half a job when there are so many cleaners competing for work

Also for me it is matter of pride in my work

You will get quicker the more you do it and there are ways to make it easy to do a first clean by using chemicals to help

This is a vid i did to show an example of a first clean using a chemical and an applicator then using another applicator to soap up and squeegee properly

It takes a few minutes per window but even so a whole house can be done in 20 minutes

Apologies to those who have already seen my fat **** on video

Also @Green Pro Clean Ltd did a you tube vid of a first clean which was good

[media]

[/media]

Definitely clean the frames and sills mate. We're window cleaners, not glass cleaners.

In the last couple of days I've got four new customers from one lady who contacted me because their current window cleaner doesn't do the frames and sills.

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

First cleans always take considerably longer. Once you have them nice, it takes less work and time for future maintenance cleans.

Paul

Thank you for the advice.

Great vids too. Ive got a soffit clean aswell as windows and some upvc cladding on the porch that want doing so might be a good idea to invest in some ubik.

Always frames and sills. i use the same technique as green, but i use one sill cloth for the whole house, and don't go as in depth anymore on the frames. i make the clean a much more gradual process, and tell the customer that they will see the odd smear etc on the first clean, but after the second they will be perfect. i find this is more proffitable and keeps first cleans very quick. it also means that if they pull a fast one then i havnt invested too much effort or time. the glass will always impress on the first clean though.

My way is pretty much the same but all the scrubbing is done with my old porcupine applicator instead of rags

Just needs a good scrub whichever way you do it

May I just add that as you are just starting out now is the time that you want to take the time to do each to perfection as once your round days fill up a first clean can throw you well out of sync for the day, also taking time now in the beginning will pay massive dividends as soon as next month for you just on overall time it will save.

I followed the advice for first cleans from daveyboy when I started up in October, now my cleans are a lot quicker , it pays to do it properly first time.

I'm also more confident now to add a bit extra to the first clean price.

All brill advice. Thanks lads.

I stuck an advert on local selling facebook page and a few of the custys ive done so far are recommending so the extra effort is deffo paying off.

But in future, for first cleans im going to add a little exrta as ive just been charging everyone pretty much the same filthy or not.

Just need to explain they are filthy and will take time to do which is time you are not getting paid for while missing out your regular customers you could be doing during that extra time

Whenever i quote any job conservatory / fascia job i explain my prices are worked out by time taken and charge accordingly like the 1 i have tomorrow morning

Told them it will be 3 hour job so I want £90 minimum in reality it will be about 2 and a bit as they are out at work

Then windows on top is £10 so a ton altogether

My windows only customers i really charge by time taken for a normal slow paced clean although i always smash them out on consequent cleans

Customer doesn't know how i work their prices out for just windows

Anyway I'm waffling..moral of the storey is don't sell yourself short as your time is money

I followed the advice for first cleans from daveyboy when I started up in October, now my cleans are a lot quicker , it pays to do it properly first time.I'm also more confident now to add a bit extra to the first clean price.

Consequent cleans are so much quicker aren't they?

Definitely charge more for a first clean. When I first started out I didn't charge any extra and very quickly learned the error of my ways.

I used to add an extra 50% on but now I take each one on an individual basis.

I did a small two bedroom house last month. I would charge £10 for it for a four weekly maintenance clean. The frames and sills hadn't been cleaned for years. I charged her £25 for the first clean and it took around 40 mins. I went back on Friday for the first maintenance clean, got my son to time me, and it took eight minutes.

8 minutes....your getting almost as quick as me:D

Me and damo did a 4 bed and 3 bed semi between us in 8 and a half lol

We'll have to have a race

You choose wfp or trad lol

8 minutes....your getting almost as quick as me:DMe and damo did a 4 bed and 3 bed semi between us in 8 and a half lol

We'll have to have a race

You choose wfp or trad lol
It was a tiny house [emoji23]

For a minute i thought you meant that I could choose whether I wanted to trad or wfp and wondered if you'd lost the plot [emoji23]

Back