Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

is advertising on local papers waste of time?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Amazin

I been told that its completely waste of time. Its appealing to me because I know most people reading it will be locals but is it good for us? I don't know, what do you think?

We advertised in a local 'community magazine' earlier this year, it cost me £180 and they claimed they would deliver the magazine to 10'000 homes in my area.

I worked in print advertising in the early 90's and the rules are simple 1-2% response from a print advert is what you should expect. So I expected 100-200 potential leads.

I got 6! That's it!

I will let you translate that how you like.

I see, yeah other people also told me similar stuff. Thanks. I sometimes do wonder where people go when they want to find a window cleaner

I think most people wait to see one on the street working. Try knocking around where you get one, or flyer if you can't face knocking hundreds of doors

Out of interest @Amazin have you ever seen an ad in a local paper and followed it up yourself? I suspect the answer is no...?

Interesting @Jimroot, do you think this is still the most common way for customers? Over perhaps googling 'window cleaner in xxxx'?

I guess it's dependent on area and the business approach, combined with the variying quality of the marketing material and opperators personality.

If I had to guess @Simply Business it would be 50/50 being seen working and having a good Google SEO site. Having done little online but a lot of flyering, flyering is my preferred model as I know it works for me. I've got good flyers, and a poor unfindable website (currently). So that's a guess ultimately

I've found walk up 'self referrals' are fairly common and much appreciated, and they and flyer derived customers stick over canvassed ones who change their minds and drop out.

I've had walk up custom from people I've flyered previously and they dump the flyers! They must want to see some one at it rather than make contact with an unknown.

we have spent over 50k on free paper over the last 20 years , we use to have four credit card size ads going out every week in four different papers at 35/42 pounds each aweek let alone the half page deals we got

it was great for the first 20 years then died right off in 2008 / 2009 went two just two adds and in 2010 binned them off alltogather

save your money not worth it

I see, yeah other people also told me similar stuff. Thanks. I sometimes do wonder where people go when they want to find a window cleaner
Seems to be round this way people looking for a windy post on local facebook community pages

Works well for me and @Adams0211 who works in the same town who has a good round built from that and recommendations

Maybe try that in your area and test the water

Seems to be round this way people looking for a windy post on local facebook community pagesWorks well for me and @Adams0211 who works in the same town who has a good round built from that and recommendations

Maybe try that in your area and test the water
Daveyboy it is right. Facebook is definitely the way forward. Create a business page and join all your local for sale groups on Facebook. Write a short post on each for sale group and include a link to your business page.

Make your posts on these groups at the correct time. There's no point doing it at 6am as hardly anyone will see it. Early evening is good as is mid afternoon before the school run.

Round my way these groups are full of women nattering and looking for bargains. Once you get customers from these groups they'll start recommending you when they see people asking for a window cleaner.

I pretty much built up my business using Facebook and word of mouth. The only other advertising I've done is posting a few business cards through doors every now and then.

As for local newspapers, I might be wrong but I don't think many people read them these days. Certainly not how they did years ago.

I write a post with my link and before sending copy it to clipboard as it doesn't let me copy it from a post on my phone

Then go on all the other 15 ish groups I'm in and paste and post

Very quick to do that way

I only do it every few days now but used to do it morning and evening at weekends and half terms and evenings on normal workdays

When i first started doing it i was getting a couple of jobs a day from ot for a few weeks

worth putting prices in facebook ads,such as "most houses are £10", this isnt giving anything away to competitors becos most doesnt commit you , but it more than doubles responses i find

I now have a second laptop on which i have about 40 local groups open in seperate tabs, i bump morning, tea time and evening. results are not great but usually 1 or 2 enquiries a week

The one thing i dislike about work I get through Facebook is the way that customers can contact you so easily through Facebook messenger. I had a message from someone at 2.30am this morning asking me if I could come on Thursday instead. Without Facebook the customer wouldn't be able to do that. I suppose she could have text me but I'm not sure anyone is daft enough to text the window cleaner at 2.30am.

I get their phone numbers off them and if they become a problem on facebook i block them so phone numbers only in future

Back