Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

So What Got You Into Window Cleaning?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Gmeister

We have had questions on this forum like how long been window cleaning or what you did before window cleaning.

But what got you into window cleaning?

It got me thinking

I read this article someone posted on this forum a little while ago, how this guy (cut a long story short) mentioned how when your at school/collage/uni that no one wants to be a window cleaner, F that, window cleaning is low in life, and not even a career etc. etc.

Yet here we are in life, window cleaning!

For me it was cause I could never get a job, my mate suggested window cleaning, I was like no chance!

He was like why not try it so we did, window cleaning on Saturdays(this was when I was living in my own flat) me and him window cleaning(he had a job in week)

Broke my cartilage on my knee so stopped for 9 months and sold round,(then I was living with parents) This time last year decided to go alone.

Okay struggling to get more customers, but I can see the potential and possible money made!

Also weirdly can be calm and relaxing (on the windows)

So what got you into window cleaning?

I got into window cleaning while i was in security work after leaving the army (soul destroying job)... My mate is an Irata level 3 working on rigs and inland, he said if i got my level 1 he`d get me some work on the ropes.

the problem was i wasn`t an electrician, roofer etc so window cleaning was the easiest option to get me working.

Did my Irata and passed so then went to BWCA to get some knowledge of window cleaning and the guy down there opened my eyes to working for myself instead of £10-15 quid an hour working for some one else.

Here I am 4 years later my own man looking after my own little business.

i became a window cleaner, as couldnt get a job around child care, could only get child care 3 days a week, so need a job on them days, plus spent 5 years on sick with a spine, neck pelvis problem, so couldnt even get interviews, and was sick of plumbing

Really good question Gmeister, I think from talking to some of the lads I work for - that have been going a while, it wasnt so competitive. So a few years ago, it would have been an easy industry to move into. But now I think its quite a tough industry. Especially with the movement of modern equipment etc.... think it opens up a whole new ball game. Especially on the commercial side.

Some of my clients are over 50, so they must have seen it all.

I have worked in field sales, tv licensing, upholstery, pc repairs, water ballast treatment, groundwork. It's all about earning money for someone else, I worked for my friend who has thousands of houses traditional and modern cleaning, saw how much fun we all had, saw how much money my friend was making. He lives in the dark ages and struggles with technology and I don't, so here I am, self employed sole trader earning money for my self. I could not go back to working indoors with people I don't like, why be fake every day, times are sometimes harder working for yourself but all the reward is yours. The ability to be me all day long. How relaxing is that. No knives being stuck between the shoulder blades. Honest days graft for decent amount of money.

Happy days Hotwash window cleaners Plymouth.

Been wanting to get out of DJ'ing for a few years and couldn't think what to get into, thought about an online record shop selling used vinyl and mp3 so taught myself how to build a website using oscommerce etc but didn't like those, tried mambo but ended up building it with joomla and virtuemart after joomla split from mambo. Anyway I digress but you did ask G, I decided I just didn't have the time to do this so gave up on the idea and about a year and a half ago I was thinking one day that I hadn't seen a window cleaner around our way since chap that did ours passed away and me being scared of heights just decided on the spur of the moment that I was gonna do it. Yep and the second I started about 6 months later it was like a swarm of window cleaners around our way, typical.

aaaand breath

I have worked in field sales, tv licensing, upholstery, pc repairs, water ballast treatment, groundwork. It's all about earning money for someone else, I worked for my friend who has thousands of houses traditional and modern cleaning, saw how much fun we all had, saw how much money my friend was making. He lives in the dark ages and struggles with technology and I don't, so here I am, self employed sole trader earning money for my self. I could not go back to working indoors with people I don't like, why be fake every day, times are sometimes harder working for yourself but all the reward is yours. The ability to be me all day long. How relaxing is that. No knives being stuck between the shoulder blades. Honest days graft for decent amount of money.
Happy days Hotwash window cleaners Plymouth.
/emoticons/smile.png/emoticons/smile.png/emoticons/smile.png

I was bullied through school, so didn't get to concentrate on what I enjoyed and just trying to cope. Left school with just above average grades and bought into a round with some money my parents had saved for me.

10 years later. Here I am. I enjoy cleaning windows, can earn what I want and work when i want. I've got a round that is perfect for me, just gotta get surgery out the way and then the only way is up.

I started while I was at college learning to be a car mechanic struggled to find a apprenticeship around me and a window cleaner offered me day a week then I left college and joined him full time while starting to build up my round then left 3 years later after a nice trip to Vegas to go on my own and 18 months later here I am just converting to wfp with big plans to make some decent money, some days I wish i did get a apprenticeship when the weathers rubbish but I wouldn't work for anyone else again hope not anyway lol

For me my roofing job work dryed up, with just enough to set up after i started soon got maryed few month later baby came along, im my my own boss, work when i want and have time for the familey and days free to do a bit more for my faith all help me to keep going :)

Started window cleaning in the early nineties as like a lot of you I wanted to work for myself and this was, at the time, one of the cheaper trades to get into, I joined the fire service but kept cleaning windows on my days off. I honestly enjoyed my days work window cleaning more than the fire service! I left the service after nine years and carried on window cleaning. I did try another career, self employed, for a while but soon came back. Sadly my cousin died and left me a few thousand pounds, this allowed me to invest in wfp. I now do both poles and trad and enjoy a days work on my own as sad as it sounds. The job allows me to manage my time and spend more time with my children. My son plays for a professional football academy and this does take up a tremendous amount of time that window cleaning allows! Need more work at the moment to be able to afford to take my wife away on a holiday though!!! This is a good topic.

I went to college first and was wasting my time really... i had 2 jobs:

working in a shop and in a cell centre i left my shop job and i was only left with the call centre so i wanted my own little business and done my search on window cleaning... i used to spend a few hours a day on windowcleaningcoach.com and i toke down all the things i needed with research and then i started myself... and im doing well for my first year in window cleaning /emoticons/smile.png i have some big hopes for my next year /emoticons/smile.png cos i can see myself expanding and expanding and i know within 9 months time ill be very busy

Had a tough child hood so spent a lot of time round nans so decided to clean the bungalows on the estate to help her out when about 13-14.went to college but had to leave and nan died so basically couldn't go home coz violent family problems.

Luckily landed on feet with window cleaning firm and you had to work to high standard or you were out door.

Spent 9 years and loved it and love window cleaning.they got taken over which was sad as it became my own family and left coz it got run into ground.

Head hunted by National firm and well and truly got stiched up and left.

Luckily had own work and built it up and lots of people family included thought I'd never make it,how wrong they were.

so excuse me if been funny with people but done this all my life and when started up just around the crash no window cleaners,now millions and I've well and truly done my apprenticeship at loads of horrible massive buildings,phew love it.

Left school, done a bit of labouring 8-5 for £30 a day.. Didn't last long

Got a job in a bakery, again, only lasted a couple of months before i got the sack..

Few weeks later I broke my neck and back, so was then on disability for a year.. Was offered a good apprenticeship building planes so I signed myself off Dla.. I didn't last the first year..

Sounds like I can't work for anyone else, being told do this do that be here yes sir no sir 3 bags full, stick your apprenticeship up your bum

I enjoyed my weekends getting off my face, even during the week if my dole would stretch..

Then a mate begged me to go halfers on a small round £80 worth of work.. Was a wee top up for our beer money /emoticons/smile.png

Met the misses, got her pregnant, stopped all the messing about, got the head down..

Now got 2 kids, earning more than any job I could get, getting married next year, nice van, work as I want to, no boss to answer to..

If I didn't have kids I'd probably still be a bum.. So this is what I am doing for them /emoticons/wink.png

I left school with no qualifications. 15 years in first job, warehouse/van driver. Had a great boss and mates. Firm got taken over, new boss only thought about money not customers. Most of us left. Firm went bump. Second job 20 years crane driver at a steel stock holders. Again good boss and mates. Recession came along, Took redundancy so I could care for elderly mother.

She passed away 2 years ago and I had too much spare time. Started cleaning windows for friends and rellies. This sounds daft but I like working for someone. I can't get used to being my own boss. I keep thinking am I doing this right /emoticons/smile.png Customers are happy when they see the difference, so that keeps me going.

Left school with few qualifications and went full time working at a zoo that i had been working at during the school hols. Money was very poor, this was before min wage but did have really good time as all people were my age and we had great laughs. Met my girlfriend and needed to earn more money so went to work for my dad who had a double glazing business he'd set up about 15 years ago. Was learning the ropes in the office and would have taken over as he was close to retiring. Then came big shock as mum and dad went on holiday and my dad suddenly died while away. My dads business partner kept me on but he didn't know the office side and slowly ran the business into ground. I didn't really know what to do and didn't cope too well with losing my dad, spent most of my time in pub or getting wrecked. Went to work as plasterers labourer and was ok but i knew i didn't want to be plasterer for rest life. Anyway after having a couple of jobs which i left of my own accord i was suddenly sacked on christmas eve a couple of years ago. Was my first time signing on and hated it, looked for jobs but there was nothing around our way until a friend of my brothers asked if wanted to work with him as window cleaner as he was getting too busy for one man. I loved this job, being outside, having laugh again at work with my boss and working easier hours than a normal job. Then next shock as my grandad died last year and then told that i was no longer required to work for my so called friend as window cleaner. So i decided to use the money i had been left to set up on my own and try and make a go of it. So here i am a very happy window cleaner working for myself. Best decision i made and love it. Only just started but things are slowly building up and got some good contacts so have high hopes for the future.

Latest Posts

Back