Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Brodex nightmare machine

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Johnny

Hi people thanks for looking at my thread. I've got a brodex 650 litre wfp system with built in r.o filter and I'm having so much trouble getting it right please help. I can't get 0 readings.

I've put brand new resin in.

Brand new sediment filter

Brand new 40" r.o membrane

There's literally nothing else I can think of this machine is absolutely doing my nut in.

I'm getting readings of about 80ppm but I read the resin will bring it too 0 no matter what.

I tested the water straight from tap is 350 ppm. When it goes to the pre filter (sediment) and then through the r.o filter it comes out at 80 and then I tested when it goes through resin it brang it down to 60.

I'm trying to get my business going and this is becoming a major issue I can't start it and don't know what to do.

Any help or ideas would be much appreciated.

John

a fellow window cleaner.

First of all either add another prefilter housing for a carbon block, or remove the sediment filter and replace it with a carbon block. The carbon block removes chlorine - chlorine destroys membranes.

Leaving the carbon block filter out was a way of Brodex getting early replacement business for membranes IMHO.

If the membrane is brand new then you are doing something wrong. Is the membrane replaced correctly - the right way around? When running, what is your pure to waste ratio?

The suggestions by Doug Atkinson on this post should help you pinpoint any problems

Do I have a faulty 4040 RO membrane

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a drain port but nothing comes out of it. It's not letting out any waste water. I was aware it had to be put in certain way it looked the same both sides. I had a brand new carbon block in there then changed back to sediment as it came with machine. The r.o is bringing it down to 80 then resin brings it down another 20

The membrane isn't working properly. A new 40-40 should remove at least 95% of dissolved solids, leaving a TDS of about 18 from your input of 350. Is this a completely enclosed machine? The membrane housing will have 3 ports on it, 1 at one end and 2 at the other. The single port is raw water inlet, the 2 at the other end are pure and waste outlets. You should have a ratio of about 2:1 pure to waste coming out of them. You say you have a 'drain' port but is this the waste or just a way of draining down the system for maintenance? A photo of the machine would help.

It should have a gate valve on the waste outlet , it sounds to me like you may have this in the completely closed position ?

Sort this straight away as it will ruin your membrane quickly .

I have a drain port but nothing comes out of it. It's not letting out any waste water. I was aware it had to be put in certain way it looked the same both sides. I had a brand new carbon block in there then changed back to sediment as it came with machine. The r.o is bringing it down to 80 then resin brings it down another 20

You need to identify why.

The ro housing will have 3 ports. The end with the single port is the r/o inlet. This comes from your prefilters. On the other end will be two ports. The center one in the housing will be pure and the one on the side will be waste. The waste should have a tap on it that should be left partially open. So when you are running your system you should have about 2 liters of water to 1 liter of pure.

2400 GPD WALL MOUNT HIGH VOLUME REVERSE OSMOSIS SYSTEM 40" HF4 MEMBRANE | eBay

If you look at this r/o you will see the pipe going into the top housing is the inlet. At the bottom you will see a gate valve on the side - thats the waste and the other outlet (not visible) is the pure and that doesn't have a tap.

The r/o membrane has to be inserted in the housing correctly. Here's the instructions I've got.

"Insert the membrane into the housing with the black brine seal at the feed end (ie feed the membrane in with the brine seal end going in last). Push the membrane firmly to ensure it is fully inserted. Push in the end cap, again ensure it is fully inserted to

reveal the holding ring groove. Replace the holding ring."

The feed end is the end with only one port.

Last edited by a moderator:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Once u sort the waste water out. The tds will drop

The di vessel should be 3/4 filled. How much is in it also how old is the resin

I suggest u drive to a dealer like pure freedom or that and get it sitter if it's a van mount.

This might sound a bit silly, have you check that you have you resin vessel connections the right way round ?, on the resin lid that you unscrew to replace the resin it should say in and out, so the water that goes through the pre filters connects to the in side of the resin vessel and the water that goes from the vessel into your tank will say out, I once had it round the wrong way, and like you i had a new ro and new pre filters and new resin and the reading was still about 20 tds, when i connected it up the right way round, the reading was 0 tds. Just a thought.

This might sound a bit silly, have you check that you have you resin vessel connections the right way round ?, on the resin lid that you unscrew to replace the resin it should say in and out, so the water that goes through the pre filters connects to the in side of the resin vessel and the water that goes from the vessel into your tank will say out, I once had it round the wrong way, and like you i had a new ro and new pre filters and new resin and the reading was still about 20 tds, when i connected it up the right way round, the reading was 0 tds. Just a thought.

Thank you very much guys for all the replies. I have now sorted it it turns out there was no waste water coming out because there wasn't enough pressure we connected it to an ro booster pump and the water came out so milky looking colour. I took a reading and it dropped from 80 to 8! Still need to put carbon block in housing unit aswell.

Thank you everyone for taking time out of your day to try and help.

John

Hi people thanks for looking at my thread. I've got a brodex 650 litre wfp system with built in r.o filter and I'm having so much trouble getting it right please help. I can't get 0 readings.
I've put brand new resin in.

Brand new sediment filter

Brand new 40" r.o membrane

There's literally nothing else I can think of this machine is absolutely doing my nut in.

I'm getting readings of about 80ppm but I read the resin will bring it too 0 no matter what.

I tested the water straight from tap is 350 ppm. When it goes to the pre filter (sediment) and then through the r.o filter it comes out at 80 and then I tested when it goes through resin it brang it down to 60.

I'm trying to get my business going and this is becoming a major issue I can't start it and don't know what to do.

Any help or ideas would be much appreciated.

John

a fellow window cleaner.
Put charcoal first and pre wash it then add sediment filter . We do this with the sim 550
f6b1282363fb76fdc1280e5c8948135e.jpg

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Back