Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

newbee help!

seanryan

Hi guys

I have been offered a local window cleaning round off an old man that is retiring, I have no idea how to clean a window but he says he will show me the ropes.

Can I really make a decent living doing it? I hate my job but I have a family to support and have to make some good money.

The man offering me the round is using traditional equipment 'ladder/squidgy' could I up the game and start using more modern equipment?

help me out guys im in a dilemma and any help will be welcomed

You can make a very good living from it but need to make sure it is kosher first

Maybe go out with him for a day and see some customers and suss it out a bit

Welcome mate.

Simple answer is yes - and if it's a trad round then a great opportunity to learn the rubbers and then progress into buying some water fed poles, system etc

Didn't know @Smurf was retiring :whistle:

.....that round must be costing millions ££££££ :eek:ldy:

Sorry forgot my manners welcome to the party bud , check the round is ok , you'll love working for yourself, brilliant feeling , the future in your own hands . You'll have to weed out the horrible people that don't pay ,,, apart from that it's great

Thx for the comments gents I appreciate it /emoticons/smile.png

It's a good round and the guy is a nice old soul, I think I can get some extra business also cuz I'm quite good at door to door sales, I've noticed people selling second hand window cleaning cans filled with gear, shall I invest or use a traditional squidge/ladder?

I would get ladders some trad gear and a harris pole from b&q and an optiloc cone for the end of it

Will be enough to get you out earning

This is exactly what happened to me almost two years ago. A retiring window cleaner had one of his rounds in the next village up the road from me and let me have it. The prices were very low when I took over and some needed doubling. With a bit of local advertising and door knocking plus people approaching me when out cleaning the round grows without too much effort and if you try to do a perfect job you shouldn't lose many. Can be a good earner as well, I make double my hourly rate I get for my full time job. Good luck and go for it, best thing I ever done and you will find good advice and support on this site.

love this forum and thx guys for your advice, the area I am in has some good homes 'values of the homes are around £400k'. how much would I charge to new customers? I was thinking about £20 a house, but is that too high, I presume it depends on the amount of windows, I have absolutely no idea on what to charge...

Average 3 bed terrace round here is 12 quid for 2 up 1 down and door front and 2 up 1 down and patio doors back

Conservatories start whacking the price up

But a 3 bed takes 15 minutes on a regular clean

hi and welcome to the forum

seanryan.....good luck and keep us informed..

maybe if you started at nine or earlier like most on here instead of strolling in to work when you feel like it you can make some good money...

but I have to put all my makeup on first...
/emoticons/biggrin.png

love this forum and thx guys for your advice, the area I am in has some good homes 'values of the homes are around £400k'. how much would I charge to new customers? I was thinking about £20 a house, but is that too high, I presume it depends on the amount of windows, I have absolutely no idea on what to charge...
welcome seanryan go trad as you are taking over a trad round and if the guy has been doing them ages you taking over will be a big enough change i.m.o.

get practicing and go round the :rolleyes: round with the guy and get a taste of it c if its for u

good luck:thumbsup:

Hi seanryan, Welcome!! go for it fella!! wish id quit my old job years ago, I earn anywhere between £ 20-30 an hour now. Where u based?

Sent from my GT-S6810P using Window Cleaning Forums

Hi @seanryan, welcome to the forum! As the other guys have said, perhaps go out with the fella selling, get a feel for the round and see if you enjoy it? Plenty of great advice here if you do decide to take him up on the offer! :thumbsup:

Welcome seanryan Hahaha I don't start till 9 as I do school run first but been thinking how much more work I could do starting at 7 instead anybody else start early

I am going to be starting earlier as getting busier now so will have to get out the door before 9am in future

Back