Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

HF4-4040 What should my TDS be?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Daniel Mc

Hi all,

Last year I bought a used Brodex Portapower trolley-had a few probs with it so started to do the rainwater harvesting method whilst I converted over from trad to pole which has gone swimmingly. Anyway, got to a point where it wasn't raining enough (yes, I know...) so I've got my trolley up and running with a new HF4-4040. I've installed a water softener vessel, then the water goes through a 150psi booster, then through a 20in Fibredyne Carbon filter then into my RO then into my resin. My tap water is 360-370ppm-it's coming out the RO at 17-18. Was expecting slightly better results than that as the RO is meant to have 98-99% rejection rate. I've played around with getting the right waste ratio. Currently running at 60% waste 40% product. Just checking if I'd set it up ok?!? Any thoughts. Thanks in advance.

Must be something not quite right here

Should be coming out at zero for def

Is it a new filter? If so run it for while

And if it's passing through di as well before tank then def 000

Must be something contaminating the water

ejst are you checking the out coming water in?

95% rejection rate for a 4040 isn't good tbh.

As it was a used purchase, you unfortunately have no idea what's its first life was like. It could well be that the membrane needs replacing.

Brodex sell their units new without a carbon block prefilter saying that we don't have enough chlorine in the water to damage our membranes. If the previous owner only had a sediment filter as Brodex supply, then I would say the problem is your membrane has been previously damaged by chlorine. Membranes have zero tolerance for chlorine.

The other thing to check is the the riser tube in our di vessel has an o ring in its head. Brodex apparently used to remove it. Removing it reduces the efficiency of the resin.

-

Hi,

The water is 000 after the resin, its when I test the water straight out of the RO which is 17-18.

The membrane is new directly from Axeon, I flushed it for over an hour to get rid of the chemicals.

Maybe I'm just being picky as the resin will cope fine with 17-18. The rain water I have been using was usually around 40-50 off my roof and my last bag of resin lasted me a year! I'm only using about 600ltr of pure a week as only do upstairs at mo. Just wondered if there was anything glaringly wrong with my setup or if others have had similar results with their membranes especially in a hard water area.

Is my waste to pure ratio ok at 60waste/40 pure?

Could softening the water be having a negative effect?

It will be back pressure, Brodex insert a drilled washer which has probably rusted away. Change your waste outlet to a gate valve

Hi Doug, thanks for your reply. Currently the waste is controlled by a valve on the top with a plus/minus dial-I assumed this was a gate valve?

The gate valve can easily be changed. Have you flushed the membrane for a good couple of hours as you need to flush the chemicals off the membrane. How many litres per minute does your pump do as this could be the problem. Also your filter, try it minus the filter as it may be clogged.

Unscrew the valve and have a look inside when you turn it there should be a plate that closes and opens it as you turn it. You can get another gate valve from b&q.

Hi Daniel i dont know if this will help, but from what you say you have your booster pump before your carbon filter ? then the RO membrane, like you i have really high tds from outside tap, its about 340, the one thing i do know it that i need to have a sediment filter before the carbon filter, and i changed the sediment filter every month as the water is really bad the sediment filter after one month is shot, another thing is it is widely accepted that the booster pump should be after the pre filters, ie sediment filter then carbon filter then booster pump, then the membrane this might explain why you getting 17-18. my advice would be to add a sediment filter before the carbon filter. I also have water softener in a di bottle, but to be honest its only meant to be used for extending the life of di resin, and flushed with salt. i maybe totally wrong but give it go. The sediment filter is a deffo before carbon block filter.

Back