Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Problems with brown wood effect uPVC

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Luke Elliott

I've got two customers reporting white spots in a line down their windows. Caused by water running off the frame which for some reason is contaminated and hence drying as spots. I've been to inspect both houses after the windows have dried. And I've tried spacing out three glass only rinses as much as you can to solve the problem. To no avail. Both windows are wood effect brown uPVC. It's a trend I have in fact noticed with brown woof effect uPVC windows many times in the past. I find it hit or miss whether they will work with WFP. When I take on a new customer with these windows I give it a try with the WFP and if it doesn't work I just trad it.

However, on these two I'm reluctant to trad it as both jobs involve walking on a steep roof, or using a trad pole. Neither of which I'm very keen on.

One of them is a monthly clean with no environmental effects like trees or roads making it dirty. So it's always very clean from one visit to the next. For this reason I am going to try the dragon fly on it. Even though the dragonfly isn't designed for outdoors I figure it should work since they are so clean.

The other, is every three months. So it gets a lot dirtier. I could use the dragonfly but it would probably take some hard work, based on my experience with it so far, and would be quicker to do it by hand.

So two questions really;

Anyone got any better ideas? And anyone know what it is about woof effect uPVC that causes this phenomenon?

hi luke

just had customer on phone today old brown plastic windows

two letter box windows with large pain underneath had problem with this type of windows before

tench has commented on this in the past, saying to when finished the rinsing to use scrim along top of frame

old plastic frames pain.

if you give your rinsing time to settle then srim top frame

ok its time but it could solve the problem

Only problem I can see with scrimming the top of the frame after you've rinsed is that contaminated water would likely have already run down the window already. You could then go back and rinse again glass only. But my bet is that no matter how careful you are and how close you hold the jet to avoid spray, some spray will hit the head again and drip when you walk away. I think this is what's happening with my three rinse technique.

You get to the point of thinking do you just dry all the windows with a trad pole and scrim wrapped over a squeegee or something!

Back