Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

A lot of questions from a beginner!

WCF

Help Support WCF:

jamiesmack

Hi all,

great forum you have here. I have been reading through most threads with real interest, Ive learnt so much already!!

I have recently been put on short time by my current employer, and am looking for a bit of a change in direction. I worked for about 6 months as a window cleaner approx 10 years ago (jesus, doesnt 10 years go fast) and would like to give it a go as a job full time myself. If things go well I would like to eventually add pressure washing etc, but lets not run before we can walk lol.

I am going to go down the wfp route mainly, and will need to set myself up with the necessary equipment. Problem is there is so much to get my head around, I keep forgetting things!

Is there anywhere you can point me to thats lists everything I need for a wfp set up? I am going to be buying a van myself shortly, and any advice on that would be appreciated. I am thinking something like a Transit connect would be about right as I start up.

Anything else you can think of, such as best places to buy gear, what to get new / second hand would be great. I know its a lot to ask, and you're all busy people, but anything you can help with would be great.

Cheers in advance lads.

I can't help with wfp but any trad advice you need just shout

And welcome to the madhouse fella

Thanks both. I will be getting some basic trad gear together as well. have to see if I can remember the old magic lol :laugh:

As far as trad gear goes, would a basic unger do the job?

Unger egotec channel, handle and applicators would do for basic gear

Or a new liquidator and handle

Welcome @jamiesmack :thumbsup:. First of all, do you know your tap water TDS? If not, buy a TDS meter. The higher the reading the higher the chance you will need an RO set up. Anything under 100PPM and you should be fine with a DI only set up.

Then go from there.

Buy some trad gear as it always comes in handy, also some ladders. There are some WFP'ers that don't use ladders at all, you will need them for access at least sometimes.

Keep firing the questions as there are some knowledgable people here.

Hi Jamie,

Once you know your water tds we can help you with what you'll need to make the pure water,

As for what else you need, the bare basics are:

A van

Baffled tank

Pump

Battery

Controller

Poles

Hose reel

All these can be bought cheaply on eBay to get you started!

Hi SPCleaning based in Mid Wales. The bus is the other ongoing project i need to get to grips with!
Just wanted to make sure you weren't in the next town before I offered too many wfp tips :rofl:

hi jamie

you tube will show you how to clean the windows WFP,also gd tips on problem windows

gear wise

22ft pole full carbon is my favourite pole gardiners and brushes, these are your main gear worth spending extra

cash, if you buy cheap you will regret it. So much easier having gd poles, brushes,

22ft pole 80% of my work

25ft pole 20% of work

hoselock fitting prefer these to the metal rectus fittings

While I'm waiting for my TDS meter, I have discussing the whole window cleaning idea with the Mrs. She is very much of the opinion that you cant make any money cleaning windows etc. Now I know this is a bit of a dull question, as the answer is really "it depends" but how much do you think you can realistically earn as a windie? Providing you work hard and have a high standard of work of course.

It would be useful to give her some opinions from some of you experienced guys on here. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
While I'm waiting for my TDS meter, I have discussing the whole window cleaning idea with the Mrs. She is very much of the opinion that you cant make any money cleaning windows etc. Now I know this is a bit of a dull question, as the answer is really "it depends" but how much do you think you can realistically earn as a windie? Providing you work hard and have a high standard of work of course.It would be useful to give her some opinions from some of you experienced guys on here. Thanks.
Most think window cleaning is not a real job and is some sort of stop gap before finding a so say proper job. Many also don't like the idea of the uncertainty of their partner not having a regular wage come in, including the perks like holiday pay, sick pay etc that you get when employed i full time work.

Dealing with the financial pressures and stress of trying to get a small business off the ground can be hard enough to do. Even more so if you don't have the backing and support of your partner.

Regarding how much do window cleaners earn I think should not be disclosed on open forums as some can earn quite a bit for very little hours and others can graft all hours for very little reward depending on how they price jobs up, the type of work they take on and the cleaning methods used.

What you should be asking yourself is the following questions

1. how much do I need to earn to pay the bills and keep a roof over my head and can I focus on achieving my goals - Reason for doing so is as everyone’s financial & domestic situation is different.

2. How long will it take me to get a regular wage coming in window cleaning?

3. Will I survive financially whilst building my round especially in winter months?

4. Am I really cut out for this type of manual labour as is a high risk job especially using ladders and working at height as even using wfp ladders are often required too?

5. How long will it take to learn the methods and skills required to be good at my job - not all are suited to this kind of work.

6. Do I have the drive and determination to make a success of being self employed - many will fail in the first year.

7. Can I sell myself - If you can't get enough work in then you will fail especially selling on price alone.

You can only answer those basic questions as self employment it's not for everyone.

Just my thoughts and my intention is not to put people off but to think seriously of starting up on your own as this game can be tough going but can be very rewarding if you make a go at it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi jamiesmack.

For a WFP system you would need an RO unit to purify your water. I find a 2 stage filter is sufficient for domestic work. It consists of a resin tank and a long tube filter that's basically rolled up paper with millions of tiny holes in that catches impurities as water is forced through it.

The resin needs replacing every now and then ( I'd always change it if the TDS meter reads more than 8 but some go to 15 ) but the RO unit will last years if flushed for 10 mins everyday before you fill.

The main question is do you want it van mounted ( so you can purify on site ) or a static one at home and fill a tank in your van with enough water for the day.

A van mounted one saves transferring water from tank to tank every night after work. Just hook it up to a hosepipe and its full by the time you've had your tea.

Another thing to consider is the holding tank. It must be a split ( baffled ) tank so as not to create a wave and tip your van over. What size will you need? Flat or upright?

Then you need pumps. One for filling is a must or it will take all night to fill but how many poles will you run?

I'd always put an extra for emergencies. There is nothing worse than a pump dying on you half way through a job. Just use the spare and fix it later.

Brings us to the pump controller. One per pump to regulate the flow. The best I could find for ease and reliability is one made by Pure Freedom in Grimsby

You will need a leasure battery wired to your van's alternator as you don't want to over strain the van's battery.

Hosepipes? One per man. The reels can be expensive but from experience don't go for the cheapest option. The wheels fall off, the handle snaps and it just generally creates hard work. A good steel framed one is sufficient.

Poles really are a personal preference. Don't buy online. Go to a shop where you can play with a few and get what feels right.

As far as the van goes I wouldn't recommend a transit connect. The steering is rubbish and the suspension is weak. Recipe for disaster when your carrying all that weight. A vivaro has the speed, strength and room for all your gear and a little extra so your not having to empty everything out to get to the tool you need.

Always keep a bag of spare hose connectors and fittings in the van for quick repairs.

That's pretty much the basics I think. Unless someone can think of anything I missed.

Thanks very much for your detailed replies lads. Really is appreciated. I see your point Smurf regarding pay, shouldn't have asked really i suppose. I'l be back soon with more questions, no doubt!

Let's just say you can earn 150 quid a day without breaking your back

But the sky is the limit if you are prepared to graft

Or smurf your prices lol

Latest Posts

Back