Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Redundancy looming - thinking about starting a Window Cleaning business

WCF

Help Support WCF:

adyEmGee

Hi all, brand new forum member here looking for some advice.

After 22 years working for the same company I am looking at redundancy in January, with a very nice payout. I am considering lots of options but as I struggle to get a regular window cleaner around my area, and friends and relatives are in the same boat, I am looking into starting up.

Has anyone else here been in my position and started from scratch in the last few years?

From all the research I've been doing it appears that you can make an honest living from it - I would like to make a similar amount to my current job, that is contribute £350 per week to cover all household bills.

I live on the border of Lincs/Cambs/Norfolk and there is one "business" around here who has 3 vans, but he is the guy I can't get back regularly presumably because he's too busy?

Has anyone else got local competition and is there plenty of work for you both?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice one my friend. I just like to say there are 5 window cleaners in my village and plenty to go around! If you think of it windows are everywhere you look! Personally, I like to work in different areas surrounding my village so I'm not stuck to one area every day - day in day out. I get bored easily. Plus I like to come home to an area I don't work so I can switch off from work. As regards to money - my neighbour is a window cleaner too, and he earns half the money I do. The difference is he hates his job and I like mine. He's too afraid to charge decent money while I'm not. My self worth in what I do is worth more than his if that makes sense.

This is a good time to start thinking about a window cleaning business as it gives you ample time to start planning with spring looming in the near/distant future.

It feels right for you try to build a passion for it, and go for it!!

hii,i would google window cleaners local to you to find out how many there are near you,it gives a clearer idea of who's about,where i am theres only three other cleaners i know,we all get on well/chat to each other and more importantly charge the same hourly rates,we do not steal work from each other but pass on details of dodgy customers so none of us get caught out.

but in the last couple of months i've seen a few set up but i'll wait to see if they can manage the coming cold months

i think with determination you can in time meet £350 a week but you have to look at the long term and view it as a business rather than window cleaning this way you'll reach that target income quicker

hope this helps

Loads of good advice, mine would be... dont go and spend all your redundancy money on the latest and greatest set up, get out there and knock on doors first!, Just take a look at ebay, its like a graveyard for failed window cleaning businesses. Dont make the mistake others do Good luck with it mate.

Hi all, brand new forum member here looking for some advice. After 22 years working for the same company I am looking at redundancy in January, with a very nice payout. I am considering lots of options but as I struggle to get a regular window cleaner around my area, and friends and relatives are in the same boat, I am looking into starting up.

Has anyone else here been in my position and started from scratch in the last few years?

From all the research I've been doing it appears that you can make an honest living from it - I would like to make a similar amount to my current job, that is contribute £350 per week to cover all household bills.

I live on the border of Lincs/Cambs/Norfolk and there is one "business" around here who has 3 vans, but he is the guy I can't get back regularly presumably because he's too busy?

Has anyone else got local competition and is there plenty of work for you both?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

been going 16 months now, not same situation as you, but was sick of my job and hours...couldn't get a window cleaner everyone I asked was too busy to fit me in or wouldn't show up..so a lot of you tube watching videos and practicing on my own house and friends bought van wfp system etc. I have 4 kids and missus to support was in a steady job I had been in for 6+ years earning £33k+bonus a year.but hated my job and every year I was leaving but never did. so I took a massive gamble...and at current stage of bussiness I'd say I'm earning well over that all ready, and started from scratch advertising on Facebook selling sites and door knocking...work life family balance couldn't be better as well..go for it I'd say..

Nice one my friend. I just like to say there are 5 window cleaners in my village and plenty to go around! If you think of it windows are everywhere you look! Personally, I like to work in different areas surrounding my village so I'm not stuck to one area every day - day in day out. I get bored easily. Plus I like to come home to an area I don't work so I can switch off from work. As regards to money - my neighbour is a window cleaner too, and he earns half the money I do. The difference is he hates his job and I like mine. He's too afraid to charge decent money while I'm not. My self worth in what I do is worth more than his if that makes sense.
This is a good time to start thinking about a window cleaning business as it gives you ample time to start planning with spring looming in the near/distant future.

It feels right for you try to build a passion for it, and go for it!!

think that says it all...you enjoy your job and so do I...thinking back over the years where been employed can't think back really any jobs that can say I enjoyed getting up in the mornings for..

I've pretty much done this all my life either employed, subbing or for myself

Tried other things when i got layed off but never found anything i enjoy and also being told what to do doesn't agree with me

If you enjoy it it can be the best decision you will make as it never feels like work to me as i enjoy the job and am happy while at work

I do a job in Ely, somewhere near to you! It pays £90 and takes me 70 minutes to do, this doesn't include travelling time. If this is typical of the area then I would be in a rush to set up a business in the area, if I didn't live 200+ miles away. You can get a factory fitted system and decent van for £10k. Whilst others on here might think this is a waste of money if you haven't got any relevant technical knowledge it's a very easy and quick way to get up and running. Good luck in your endeavours and anyone that takes the leap from the comfort of paid employment to self employed gets my full respect.

As for making £350 a week, what are you going to do on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday? What I would say is make sure you leave enough redundancy to live on for the next 6 months, minimum. This will take the pressure of you having to get up and earning immediately.

Thanks all for the replies so far, thought I might get one or two but I've been blown away so far!

My budget for setting up would be about £5k to be honest, and I've seen a few van+kit adverts around for about that.

Definitely want to go down the ladder free route.

Part timers comment about what I'd do on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday made me chuckle. Is it really that lucrative if you get it right?

I've been in a sales environment the last 10 years so customer satisfaction is built into my ethos. I'd rather have lower customers but do it right!

He charged £25 for the first clean then £15 ongoing. That's for 5 windows plus conservatory (6 windows/doors/glass roof). Was there less than 45 mins. And I was happy with the job.

So, £15 x 15 = £225, then x5 = £1125. That sounds unreal. But happy if it is!

Is 15 a day realistic, time wise?

There is loads of work out there if you look. As for being ladder free you will need a set, and also learn to trad. Also don't blow 5k in one go, you get get set up with £500+ either an estate car or a van. You'll need a TDS meter to see if you need an ro or not, costs £20. If your TDs is under 100 then you'll get away with a di only set up. I started trad, then bought a pole, backpack, di and containers for 450 new. Then at least you haven't wasted 5k if it goes wrong. Once you hit your target +20% for Mr tax man THEN get a van system. It'll be a struggle to get started and have loads of messers at the beginning but you'll weed them out. Every spare minute knock doors like a man possessed, that way you'll make money quicker. With pricing add £2 to what you think its worth so you don't underprice and charge double on 1st cleans as they can be a nightmare. You won't get rich overnight so save as much of you money as possible. Whilst your growing it will take over your life, but once you have enough work then it'll be easy to get the balance right. Also look at offering gutter cleans and Conny roof cleans as they are good earners whilst your growing, which will help in the early days. Look at around £20 a side to start with on gutters and 5-8 a panel on connys and tweak it from there. Learn everything you can off here by searching, or if you can't find it asking, and watching vids on YouTube. Also get started NOW on your days off, that way your more prepared and have a small customer base ready. Think that's everything, and good luck

He charged £25 for the first clean then £15 ongoing. That's for 5 windows plus conservatory (6 windows/doors/glass roof). Was there less than 45 mins. And I was happy with the job.So, £15 x 15 = £225, then x5 = £1125. That sounds unreal. But happy if it is!

Take your house for example, he charged £25 for less than 45 minutes. This roughly equates to £35 an hour, you lose days with weather and breakdowns but £1000+ a week is achievable when you've generated enough work. After 3 months you probably won't be anywhere near that figure but I'm sure there are people on this site earning it, not that many will admit.

He charged £25 for the first clean then £15 ongoing. That's for 5 windows plus conservatory (6 windows/doors/glass roof). Was there less than 45 mins. And I was happy with the job.So, £15 x 15 = £225, then x5 = £1125. That sounds unreal. But happy if it is!

Yes with wfp you can do between 15-25 a say depending in size. I earn on average 150 a day, and I'm only running at about 70% capacity, and that's after 18months. I stopped looking for work a few months back due to me potentially gaining 250 custys soon off a windy who's retiring

There is stacks of work so don't be put off by the thought that there's not enough to go round - every road I work in has at least one other cleaner in, often 2, & one of them is my brother!!!!/emoticons/biggrin.png

Slow & steady is the way to build, don't undercut yourself when it comes to pricing as those particular jobs will come to haunt you!

My best mate was made redundant (over the phone) no payout as the company went bust, I showed him the ropes, helped him out on any difficult jobs & within 6-9 months he was up and running properly and never looked back.

Treated his canvassing like a proper job - 6 to 8 hours a day knocking Monday- Wednesday, do the jobs on Thursday/Friday.

Forget how people will view you (he cleans windows *scorn*) you can make decent money £250+ per day and you won't be busting your guts for that AND not someone else reaping the rewards for your hard graft.

Good luck Buddy & keep us posted.:thumbsup:

Some great advice but don't get too excited on the whole "is this how much you can earn? ethos"

If you're capable of building a business then i wouldn't say it easy money. Its not hard and its not easy. Middle of the road. You will be the sales man, debt collector, admin, cleaner etc.

I met a local chap a few weeks back and he was gutted he couldn't earn £50 an hour. He had read that on a forum!

To give you some idea of earnings I lost my old accountant as he questioned my turnover. I won't go into it but basically i didn't "deserve" to earn what i did that year. This year will be even better and will be my highest tax bill to date and it's something i am actually proud of.

Welcome to the forum mate.. I have been going only 9 months or so and have already proven that if you work your butt off advertising especially canvassing and do a good job then you can quickly build up a nice round and quite quickly start bringing in decent money. A couple of bits of advice for what it's worth are:

As soon as you decide you are going for it start canvassing and advertising. Even if you haven't left your job use the evening and weekends this way the day you start you already have a list of houses to clean.

Don't go and spend 5k for gods sake straight away. I decided to go WFP from start but got free 25 L barrels from the car wash, under £500 on a backpack and wfp. Trad gear less than 40 quid and a half decent ladder about £150 so I could do gutters. Just insurance and I was off using my Vauxhall Corsa! If I had hated it I could have sold it on eBay and put it down to experience.

Most important of all practice every money you get on anyone's windows who will let you people will start asking you for cleaning when they see you. And remember the only person who can limit how much money you make is you. If you put the hours and graft in there is lots to be made. All thebest

All the best @adyEmGee , it's certainly possible to make your target especially if you have funds to fall back on for the first 3-6 months.

Don't get carried away by the figures some mention - those figures are all realistic, with time and hard work.

Some good advice already given about starting up and I would add - check out the business management sections of the forum, read it all. Easy to get out and start cleaning windows but you need to treat it as a business. Use your customer service background to your advantage and make sure you spend time each day not cleaning windows but managing your business and building your customer base.

I was in a similar situation to you, without the benefit of 22 years redundancy money. I started in March and have managed to build up a reasonable business so far. I didn't have the luxury of a £5k budget but managed to get a reasonable van, wfp trolley, r/o system and some other bits and bobs. Now upgrading as and when I can afford it. To answer your question, as a lot of people have said before:

1. Yes you can make it work

2. Start with family and friends

3. Get them to suggest others or recommend you.

4. Make the most of free/low cost marketing

5. Don't get down on the bad days (there will be some!)

6. Use this forum -there's always some great/interesting advice

7. Enjoy it

I now love what I do, and get a huge amount of satisfaction in doing a job well. Even when it's blinking freezing like today it was still good to be in the sun (especially when I heard of miles of stationary traffic on the M25 near where my old head office was!)

Good luck - with hard work you can be successful!

Latest Posts

Back