Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Working in the rain

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Luke Elliott

I have my own policy so to speak on this one. I do work in the rain, to a point. I'm just curious to know what everyone else's view on it is.

If you do or not and the reasons?

As far as I see it if you are WFP then there are more reasons to continue than there are to stop. I won't list all the reasons but I actually see it as illogical to stop most of the time. I've slowly over the years trained my customers with this one and I make it a point to mention when I take on a new customer.

I'm sure it's been mentioned many times before but this is the first time I've joined a window cleaning forum so I'm just very curious.

Drizzle and very light rain, I'll work in. Or I'll duck and dive if I'm behind.

I have some fussy customers who still insist on trad, one in particular, I call the night before. Phoned last Wednesday night to let them know I'd be round in the morning, "ooh, it's raining" and this is 6pm the night before! They said they were going out, won't give me the gate code, so I said I'd do them on the Friday, meaning going out of my way. As it happened, it p!ssed down on Friday, so they have missed the boat. I nearly dumped them when the man said in a very pompous tone "not tomorrow, won't be here." I think he realised he was being a chunt and thanked me for my last clean of the conny roof. I have known them for 20 odd years, that's the problem. He was in tears and shaking when I turned up with my WFP gear the first time /emoticons/biggrin.png

Hahahaha I know exactly what you mean. I like to try to take an oppurtinst moment to explain to them up front why I can still clean in the rain. I also offer their next rainy clean at no charge if they aren't happy with it once it's dried off. Plus I'll come by and redo it again for free. So far it hasn't failed. But it's difficult when you've known customers for so long.

unless its a real downpour we keep working . non of my lot will wear coats either ,daft or wot , i wont either so im as bad as they are . manys the time weve driven home dripping wet

I just say look at your windows next time it rain. As long as it's not windy your windows will be dry unless I am cleaning them

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

I will clean them in drizzle or light rain but not if its lashing down. Some customers are really fussy about the rain whilst some dont give a monkeys testicle. I have one lady customer who tells me, if ever its raining and I cant get anyones windows done, then I can go and do hers. Mind you, if you are trad and its lashing it down, there is no way you can do as good a job.

I work outdoors in light rain no problem but draw the line in heavy rain, high winds, thunder & lightning storms, snow and below zero temps.

good post...Luke Elliott ..it is the most often mentioned thing about window cleaning....the number of custys who say....its bound to rain now you've been.....even if the forecast is great...i love a good forecast of rain so i can have a skive but if i start an area i tend to want to get it finished and so will carry on unless it is really bad....now of course at last i have full wet gear...not got my wellies in yet.../emoticons/smile.png

but please......dont mention weather forecasters.....:whistle:

Well i wouldnt trad in rain cause bottom line i dont wanna get wet lol. But WFP rule of thumb if the rain(which is not filtered) is hitting the window then its a no no. But fine rain or "a smir" we call it in Scotland is fine.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk

To be honest on exterior deep cleaning jobs even working in heavy rain doesn't bother me that much as I soon found out rain helps quicken the job up. /emoticons/biggrin.png

Doesn't matter that much me working in the rain on my pressure washing jobs either as long as the soakaway ground like garss etc is not too sodden to take the run-off water or can soon end up in one muddy mess. Pressure washing hard surfaces like block pavers when it's raining I've found can also help cut down any overspray drift too.

I don't work in the rain, been turned away to many times in the past. I just have the saying, what I cant do today I can do tomorrow.

most of my customers just dont like to hear these words together rain + window cleaning . Even if i explain them that i use rain water to clean their windows

Light drizzle we'll go out in. Doesnt get on the windows unless the wind decides to play "lets-spoil-your-day" also. I use the metoffice rainfall radar to plan the day before. Can always do gutter cleans if its ******* it down but you do leave part of your soul in the downpipe on days like them!

welcome Tizzo...that is a point it does get a bit depressing in the rain....mind you after today i will be busy whatever the weather...too many people mithering me means i get stuck in..../emoticons/smile.png

welcome Tizzo...that is a point it does get a bit depressing in the rain....mind you after today i will be busy whatever the weather...too many people mithering me means i get stuck in..../emoticons/smile.png
Excellent point. Customers moan about the rain but at the same time they moan f you're late. Can't have both....

I do clean in moderate rain - if it hammers it down and is likely to continue, I'll go home but if I'm behind I chose customers that aren't in/are okay with me cleaning /emoticons/smile.png

Latest Posts

Back