Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

5x the monthly clean?

DMD

is this the asking price now of window cleaning rounds?

We were offered work and the price they have said is 5x the monthly run. Is that a little on the high side? I've always thought 3x the run was the norm or am I way out of practice?

Cheers.

is this the asking price now of window cleaning rounds?
We were offered work and the price they have said is 5x the monthly run. Is that a little on the high side? I've always thought 3x the run was the norm or am I way out of practice?

Cheers.
Sounds like they're trying their luck to me.

Yep definitely trying their luck. 2-3 is the norm. I would only pay three if it was well established, but 2times if it was reasonably new or freshly canvassed. But that said, like anything it all depends what the next person is willing to pay for it. Numbnuts is probably hoping you'll offer to pay 4Xso he can act like hes doing you a favour. Tell him to jog on.

I don't think that x4 is too much, if u work out what you earn in the long run. You have to remember that this one of few if not the only job with very little over heads and never starts in the negative unlike other companies that end up making a loss in their first couple of years before they start making profit.

At the end of the day the work is only worth what someone will pay for it.

At the end of the day the work is only worth what someone will pay for it.
Exactly. I just hope 4-5X becomes the norm when I go to sell my round. Some of the lads on here would be minted. I'd have enough to buy a comic and a Wham bar if I'm lucky.

I don't think that x4 is too much, if u work out what you earn in the long run. You have to remember that this one of few if not the only job with very little over heads and never starts in the negative unlike other companies that end up making a loss in their first couple of years before they start making profit.At the end of the day the work is only worth what someone will pay for it.
Your quite right, if you are in it for the long run, then it is an investment in your future.

Cheers guys.

I still think 3x turnover is reasonable. Not many trades able to charge that. Also as a few people on here know I have staff to pay so the initial outlay can take around 6 months to get back etc

I wouldn't buy work as smurf said it is only good faith and no guarantee of keeping the work

But you have to be honest daveyboy, there is a lot to factor in. For example if you live in a small village and your buying a round that pretty much has the village sewn up that would have to add to it as you are pretty much looking at exclusive territory.

A good set of books, if the seller can prove a well established history and payments from clients that has to add to it.

A good set of payers, the less collection work involved has to add to it also and so on and so on.

I started out on a small island where there were three main Windies including myself, population of 85'000 people so no shortage of houses to divvy up. When I left I sold my round for 12 cleans. By that stage everyone knew us, we had made it to the number two spot on the island and new work was coming in at the rate of 4-6 new customers a day just from phone calls.

Where I am now in Nottingham I have a very well established round and have decided to part with some of it (perhaps) Here I am not afforded the same sort of exclusivity as there are loads of Windies here and a quick look on Gumtree at least 4 (small) rounds for sale. Most seem to be 3-5 months value on asking price, I have mine up at 9 times.

To me it is not worth it to sell it for less, the work that has gone in to making it as sweet a round as it is was hard and took a lot of time, if someone want's to walk right in to a prefab business they're going to have to pay for it otherwise I'll take on another lad part time to clean that round.

I guess my point is it's all a matter of relevance. Nothing is ever worth more than someone is willing to pay for it, that is just a simple fact of life. If you do buy rounds and decide to buy cheap well you need to give some serious consideration as to why it is so cheap. Sometimes in life you have to bite the bullet and pay for quality.

I will also state that I have never bought a round in my life, I have built mine from scratch and I personally would never consider purchasing a round either. That's just me.

I will also state that all of the previous comment is just my own opinion. (for what that's worth)

I agree value is what someone is prepared to pay

I just personally wouldn't buy one

Rounds in north west go for up to 10x monthly value, why would you sell a business for 2-3 times monthly value or 20% of annual turnover?

obviously depends how established a round is and what the potential earnings are to the new buyer

End of the day whatever you buy it for you should be able to sell for again so you are really making an investment if you build the round up you can sell it for more than you paid

imo anything less than x4 your giving your business away and good work should be more

A friend of mine paid x12 for some high end work on a gated estate makes 2k in three days with two men, if he works this for five years puts the prices up maybe adds more jobs he can sell for more than he bought it for plus hes had five years earnings out of it winner winner

yep I used to give my work away at 2.5 x but suppose cheapie is as cheapie does..../emoticons/biggrin.png I would have to pay someone to take my current round...

I have bought 3 rounds two were 3x's and the other 2.5x(couple of streets). One round I bought I put all the prices up on average by 30%, as they were on same prices 10 years ago. I didnt have the luxury of building up a round,leaving a job and needed to provide for the family. Two of the rounds are mostly good quality work. I sold the work I bought for 2.5xs and sold it for 3x's, as was cheapie prices, liked the people though, so felt guilty selling it, but some annoying access issues and only £5 a normal council house.( I had stuck them up 50p:eek:)

I have seen rounds up for 5 times the price and thought what a rip off, but its not really if you have worked hard and established a good round and wanting to retire, its a bit of a good bye present getting a bit more for your round, I wouldnt pay 5xs for a round,( i dont think so:oops:)

to be fair...I and I suppose others...always sell off the bottom end of their work...

just spied a round on fleabay...hendon way. london..33 shops...£500 wants £2000 so 4x sounds good to me for shops.../emoticons/biggrin.png so there are still good buys out there...

not saying its a safe buy though...as who can tell...

Back