Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

DIY Heavy Duty Trolley Step by Step/Van mount, pics (PART 1)

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Lovely set up there #jimmyboots Where did you get the sack barrow from

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks very professional Jimmy. I bet you got a lot of satisfaction building that.
Haha, I did mate. I have made much cheaper ones but this is built to last.

I built this over a year ago and it runs faultless. The only thing I have changed is the hose a couple of weeks ago because of a puncture and changed a wheel at the weekend because one of the tyre treads wore down.

I haven't built one myself. I needed something really compact as I use a car, so I use a Freedom Trolley. But I do enjoy refining my equipment to get the best out of it and to reduce the stress on me. Best thing I've done recently is to fit pneumatic tyres (instead of solid ones), a backpack pump in place of the Sureflo (it bolted straight on with no need to drill more holes), and reduced the battery from a 26ah to a 7ah one. Getting it in and out of my car is a breeze now, it's so light.

It runs all day on residential work no problem. The battery is easily swapped out in case it needs changing. And I keep a spare tyre and battery in the car. The difference in weight is also noticeable when carrying a full barrel of water. All in all I'm well happy. I reckon the guys at Pure Freedom should sell a light version alongside their standard one.

I haven't built one myself. I needed something really compact as I use a car, so I use a Freedom Trolley. But I do enjoy refining my equipment to get the best out of it and to reduce the stress on me. Best thing I've done recently is to fit pneumatic tyres (instead of solid ones), a backpack pump in place of the Sureflo (it bolted straight on with no need to drill more holes), and reduced the battery from a 26ah to a 7ah one. Getting it in and out of my car is a breeze now, it's so light.It runs all day on residential work no problem. The battery is easily swapped out in case it needs changing. And I keep a spare tyre and battery in the car. The difference in weight is also noticeable when carrying a full barrel of water. All in all I'm well happy. I reckon the guys at Pure Freedom should sell a light version alongside their standard one.
Yes you cant beat pneumatic tyres. This was my first Trolley a few years ago, which I later swapped the tyres

Followed by This, which is a good light Trolley. I found that the pumps would only last around a year though and also had a battery fail on me over time as well.....Cheap though /emoticons/smile.png. I still use this Trolley for applying virosol etc to gutters or connie roofs.

A good tip is make sure your Trolley Tyres are always fully pumped, it makes a big difference when they arent

Thanks for your tips, especially re the expected life expectancy of the pump. I already plan on keeping a spare on board. It can be swapped out in 5 minutes.

Afternoon all,

I would really appreciate some support on wiring my trolley up. Looked at some of these pics but they are hard to figure out for a non sparky type person like me! An example of this... connected voltmeter to battery, that's fine. Tries adding the on/off switch to the circuit and oops, bit of smoke and sparks lol when I switch on. HELP!!

Hi steve if its just a on off switch WITHOUT LED just goes like this on the

+..battery...fuse, i use a red 10amp...in-switch...out switch...flow controller but mix the volt meter wire with the + on the flow controller.

-..battery...straight to the - flow controller with the - part of the volt meter mixed in... BUT if you have a LED splice into the negative and connect to the copper part of the switch.

hook up the pump as normal from the flow controller

i hope this helps matey

The on off switch can go anywhere as long as it is only on 1 side of the circuit

Pick a wire..i usually use the negative going back to the battery

Cut it and connect 1 wire of the switch to 1 of the ends you made by cutting and connect the other 1 from the switch to the other end you created

Essentially you are making the cut wire 1 piece again

Can't really go wrong with that

Hi steve if its just a on off switch WITHOUT LED just goes like this on the+..battery...fuse, i use a red 10amp...in-switch...out switch...flow controller but mix the volt meter wire with the + on the flow controller.

-..battery...straight to the - flow controller with the - part of the volt meter mixed in... BUT if you have a LED splice into the negative and connect to the copper part of the switch.

hook up the pump as normal from the flow controller

i hope this helps matey
Thanks for quick reply, appreciated! No LED on the switch. I have two switches, one for switching everything on(not attempted to connect this up yet) and the one that I tried to wire up today, this one was to enable me to switch the voltmeter off when using the trolley. Do I need another in line fuse on this switch? Im guessing I overloaded the switch by not having a fuse to it??

fuse is always best but its personal preference really mate. easy to use 2 spade connectors on a fat not micro car fuse.

ok if its JUST for the volt meter

+ goes to the fuse (if your using one)switch and out of switch to the volt meter

- goes straight to the volt meter

personally myself always use fuse's as its like protection....dont use it your screwed...then hey take your money and dont do anything but play games...yada yada yada....lol sorry got a bit carried away then....lol

fuse is always best but its personal preference really mate. easy to use 2 spade connectors on a fat not micro car fuse.ok if its JUST for the volt meter

+ goes to the fuse (if your using one)switch and out of switch to the volt meter

- goes straight to the volt meter
Cheers again. Like I say, electrics are like a foreign language to me! Will have another go tomorrow. Bought a second in line fuse from Maplin's. After today's sparks and smoke, I prefer the protection.

The on off switch can go anywhere as long as it is only on 1 side of the circuitPick a wire..i usually use the negative going back to the battery

Cut it and connect 1 wire of the switch to 1 of the ends you made by cutting and connect the other 1 from the switch to the other end you created

Essentially you are making the cut wire 1 piece again

Can't really go wrong with that
What do you mean by "one side" of the circuit? Are you saying use both switches on the "negative" side? It confuses me about the switch too. Is there a + and - side to them? Cannot see any marks etc.

What do you mean by "one side" of the circuit? Are you saying use both switches on the "negative" side? It confuses me about the switch too. Is there a + and - side to them? Cannot see any marks etc.
Ah, eureka! Realised what I did wrong on the switch.. no wonder there was smoke etc, yikes!

What did you do?

By the negative i mean the cable that goes back to the terminal on the battery that says -

You are essentially breaking the wire and putting the switch in the gap you have made

Then when you flip the switch it either completes or breaks the circuit

With led etc it is more complicated but essentially it is that simple

If you have any problems take a pic and pm it to me as i was taught by my dad who was an auto electrician and taught me how to read wiring diagrams etc

What did you do?By the negative i mean the cable that goes back to the terminal on the battery that says -

You are essentially breaking the wire and putting the switch in the gap you have made

Then when you flip the switch it either completes or breaks the circuit

With led etc it is more complicated but essentially it is that simple

If you have any problems take a pic and pm it to me as i was taught by my dad who was an auto electrician and taught me how to read wiring diagrams etc
Earlier today I put the + AND - direct from the battery to the switch and voltmeter. I have just wired the other "main" switch following instructions here and the flow meter is working perfectly without sparks lol. I will post pics when I get it all sorted......

Last edited by a moderator:
It's the same principal whatever you wire in if you want to be able to turn it on and off break 1 of the wires and put the switch in the gap

It doesn't usually matter what side of the circuit ie: + or - as long as it can break the circuit to that particular item you want to turn on or off

I agree with ccs though that it is best to put a fuse in the circuit

When it comes to diy trolleys etc I only use 1 fuse but that is between the + on the battery and everything else so it will blow if anything shorts

I usually use this kind of fuse

View attachment 8266

It just screws together but protects everything

Back