Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Matthew 7: 7-8

BenjiRixon

Went out canvassing yesterday and still on a high buzzing from it. Picked up £107 regular monthly cleans in 3 hours....... all in streets that have window cleaners!!!

I don't know a single window cleaner round my way that have canvassed their round.... Plenty of Facebook plugin and website bashing and leaflet dropping and sitting back and waiting.......

I'm not a religious man but do like this quote

7 “Ask and it will be given to you;seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.

8 For everyone who asks receives; the one who seeks finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened.

Go for it!

I love it to be honest. I just rocked up with my branded t shirt on and my shorts and trainers on, clip board held loosely at my side, couple of business cards for the yes's and paper ones for 'I'll have a think about it' 's

No hard selling, just open and honest .......

I haven't any sign written clothes but clip board is a good tip. All my work to date is from recommendations/contacts but that's dried up. My target is 80 custies with my 5k Flyers and door knock the obviously in :)

great post

BenjiRixon I have never knocked a door as I am a coward but that does inspire great confidence..

I am not religious but..

I always say please lord let them be safe just this one night...every night when the kids are out..

and when I slipped on the gutter last week as my legs stiffened and I was sliding along on my big ladders ..

please lord please..

and you have to say on reading such words as above they are really clever...very clever..

one thing I and most dont like is somebody who would force religion on another...

but as a scientific person I will say this...

religion can look stupid if you think about it but so can science...I mean come on...black holes what...anti protons..what..quarks..

overall...I say..LIFE IS SUSPICIOUS..

GOOD LUCK ANYWAY

BenjiRixon and of course...good luck to you too jimroot...

most of all...forum moto....

KEEP US INFORMED..gav loves the post traffic stats...he goes to sleep with them every night.../emoticons/biggrin.png

Life is a bit suspicious.

religion is a good way to deal with the fear of uncertainty. Science skates over it and creates a new problem to explore. IMO. Both seem to end up in the same place. But I just want money to buy a family holiday :)

its all right for you jimroot I have to go to church three times soon to hear the daughters banns read out for her wedding...so off my lazy chair early on a sunday..

one thing I will add is...the strangeness of going in a church...it makes you feel so good ...and you come out into the daylight with that special feeling...probably all in the mind but...I can still sing them hymns:D...

now dont tell anyone cause I want to get there first but I am having one of them three man tents from aldi on thursday...even if I have little money I will still get away...probs off mr taytay country...bakewell and moneyash ...

Flyers aren't to bad if you drop them then follow up next day with a knock. But it's still a bit pushy in my eyes. I like people not to feel pressured into something. And don't need branded clothing just wear what you'd wear on the job.

When I knock a door I knock it like I'm calling on someone I know. I don't stand too close to the step so not invading personal space and I never stand head on, I just slightly turn body more towards next doors front door. Clip board is always down by my side never infront of my chest. My posture is always relaxed never stood up straight. Your going into conversation ...... Not a battle.

When customer opens door, they're greeted with a totally passive relaxed vibe which puts them at ease.

Then I just say

hello, I'm only a window cleaner (again confirms I'm not a salesman)

I do a few of the houses in the street (even if I don't but sounds like I'm already established) and just having a knock around to see if anyone else would like theirs done .......

That's how I do it anyway, varies slightly (but not much) if I'm doing a posh area

/emoticons/smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I like your style...nice.../emoticons/biggrin.png

yes dont think you need to be too pushy to succeed and also..hopefully you will have to get on with the people in the future as your custys..

I had a custy move onto a new estate recently she was bombarded by cold calls and leaflets from some one saying he had sixty jobs on the estate..she still chose me../emoticons/biggrin.png

Shy bens get nowt . Good for you :thumbsup: I'm like cnc. I don't door knock .......I let them find me ......ive tried it once, found too many messers , there's a reason there haven't a window cleaner . But if it works for you ...

I just knock and say alright..do you need a window cleaner

That's it

My charm and personality gets me the work lol

once you get in with the right custy ...you do a good job they like you and your off..

donkeys ago back in the good old days of my youth...a lady pulled over on a busy road and asked me to call and clean her bungalow..

she was to be my number one customer and of course it was :h:

she got me my favorite area where she rented the bungalow...and when she moved nearby she got me all the neighbours there too..

and as for them hot pants....:specs

I was quite happy with the forty odd customers I started with 18ish months ago...did about forty home printed flyers in a close that gave me one lead that led to 3 regulars...had a ad up in the newsagents for 50p a week that's given me a few more...free listing went into Yellow pages last week, got one off that already...sometimes knock on the neighbours of new stuff if they look bad, that's given me a few more...most come from people approaching when I'm cleaning and I have about double what I started with.

ive canvassed a total of about 8 hours i think for about 8 -10 custies, i got most of my work from a canvasser last november,some more of facebook, few from website. canvassing is by far the best way it just by far the worst, i hate it but i must admit the thought of doing it is far worse than actually doing it, i can count on one hand negative reactions and even then nothing more than not interested door slammed types

As door 'selling' goes, it's one if the least offensive things, we aren't selling religion, expensive things, nothing devious or spurious or harmful.

just a very localised service that's take or leave /emoticons/smile.png I'm much happier with trying to sell this, especially gutter clearing which I believe is an essential anyway long term, than nearly everything else I could think of.

Now if it would only stop raining...

I find canvassing the best route to market. When I first started I used to knock and on every house and had a whole speech,

"Hi there, sorry to bother you my names Alex, I work locally in your area and run a small Business. I offer a monthly service for x amount to clean your pvc frames and glass. I've been working in your area for 5 years now, and just wondered if you would be interested in trying out my service."

It used to do well because people used to think it was something more than just window cleaning, but it takes too long to say.

Now I just knock and say sorry to bother you, would you like a window cleaner.

Works just as well and saves a lot of time.

I also only knock on houses that clearly don't have a window cleaner. If the windows are mint, you know they will just tell you they have one, and I'm not interested in taking other people work. Sometimes you might only knock on 15/20 houses on a road, but it saves you hours.

I leaflet the ones that are out, and I usually get a phone call from about 30/40 leaflets dropped in dirty houses. It's a good idea to go back to dirty houses you leafleted, because a lot of people don't read them, and also puts a face to the name.

Nice one. I would take others work as its a free market, but wouldn't do hostile take over, more offering a range of choice. If they want good trad, I'm not the man (yet), if they want gutter vac rather than ladder and tile walk, I am equipped... For instance

i haven canvassed in a while as no need but

its simples hi im going to be out....... cleaning ur nebours windows would you like a free quote for ur own

works well

and a reason for wearing ur logo on shirt and coat and looking gd is

when people see stranger knock door they dont open sometimes as

might be the tv license man lol

Back