Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

pure20 ionics budget systems

russ1979

Has any one got a Pure 2o van mounted system for soft water, just wanted feed back on it as I have been looking at buying a 500l hot water system

What's there after care like

What's the system maintenance costs

any info would be a help

Can't help with the system but I will say what I always say, do it yourself, there are guides on this forum it's extremely easy and will cost a fraction of a ready made system plus you'll be able to fix it if anything goes wrong.

I have looked at diy but I not convinced its for me at this moment do agree what you are saying but maybe my next setup I will try when I have a bit more experience and know what I want to improve etc.

Its hard enough choosing a system and starting up not to add the worry of my inexperienced diy build

if your in near lancaster you can have a look at my van sometime if you want its not fully diy as i bought a pump box but i like it, i'm from milnthorpe by the way

not yet, just consecrating round Kendal minthorpe haha

no im just got a van and looking for a system at the moment then marketing marketing

all ways wanted to work for my self but it was nether the right time so I am just going for it. my wife is an estate agent so in the long run I will hopefully get work through her too. it will only be a part time thing at the moment.

so you got time to get a set up your happy with thats good if i get rained off this week ill let you know & you can get a look at my set up. your lass could get you end of tenancy cleans for rented properties they're in/out with hoovering etc not my cup of tea but very good cash i believe

What you save by going diy can buy a decent pole etc

It's not as daunting as it seems

A tank

Pump

Controller

Battery

Hose

Pole

Brush

That's it

If you can stick a couple of wires between a pump and battery and connect some hose you can do it

At least then if you get a breakdown you can fix it yourself quickly as you will know exactly what it is

There are even links to all the bits and pics how to fit it on here

so you got time to get a set up your happy with thats good if i get rained off this week ill let you know & you can get a look at my set up. your lass could get you end of tenancy cleans for rented properties they're in/out with hoovering etc not my cup of tea but very good cash i believe
the sky is the limit with her business but one step at a time a the moment I'm working in burton in Kendal at the moment so not to far away

What you save by going diy can buy a decent pole etcIt's not as daunting as it seems

A tank

Pump

Controller

Battery

Hose

Pole

Brush

That's it

If you can stick a couple of wires between a pump and battery and connect some hose you can do it

At least then if you get a breakdown you can fix it yourself quickly as you will know exactly what it is

There are even links to all the bits and pics how to fit it on here
I'm keeping my options open at the moment not saying no to anything

but having said that I am so confused with all the different systems that you can buy I don't know what I would be like trying to choose which system to diy build

You'll be less confused with diy mate, it's so simple,

And you'll save 1000's potentially,

The pure 2o systems are way over priced,

Defo look into diy, pure freedom do some great kits mate, they send you everything you need, all you do is put it together, it's really really really really really simple mate, trust me, if I can do it, anyone can...

Check them out

Www.purefreedom.co.uk

It's a water container with a water pump and a controller that's it. Oh and a leisure battery. It's incredibly easy.

Think all of the pre made systems are a complete rip off, I understand it's low volume sales so the price has to be high but it's still crazy.

My tuppenceworth for what it's worth;

I have a 400 Litre Pure2o RODI system (hard water) fitted by Ionics and in my opinion it is pretty close to perfect.

For me, DIY was just not what I wanted. Loads of people on forums say "go DIY!" but IMO it's a lot of hassle and I just wanted a nice, professionally built system that I knew would work perfectly from day 1.

I'm pleased to say, that is exactly what I got with Pure2o.

The super dooper Ionics systems were great looking, but beyond my budget. So when I saw their 'no-frills' range it suited me down to the ground. Solid quality system, and very professionally installed at a price I could afford.

I can't remember the exact price I paid, think it was around £2,700 including fitting, but one thing to note is they do offer a price promise, so if you get a cheaper quote from somewhere else, be sure to send it to them, they will most likely match or beat it. I can hardly believe someone on here saying that Pure2o systems are overpriced - they are great value in my opinion.

The aftercare from Ionics (not that I've needed much) has been just fine. Always found them helpful despite all the moaning you will read on forums. As for maintenence, all I really do is change the pre-filters every 3-4 months, which costs about £15 and renew the resin about once a year, at a cost of about £20. With soft-water you won't need prefilters as they are only there for the RO. All you'll need is resin, which is easy to do.

I also paid extra for the floor protection for the van (I think Ionics use something called LINE-X now, but it was speedliner when I got mine done.) You said on another thread that it seemed more expensive than that paint-on stuff. IMO this is one area you don't want to skimp. The reason it costs more is because it is far better. Mine looks good as new even though it is a few years old now.

Regarding the 'cutting a hole in the side of the van' issue - I was just the same. I didn't want a hole cut into the van for the ports. It was no problem, Ionics just put in a set of ports that sit just under the bumper. This is mine:

2qxp6za.jpg

Didn't cost any more and works just as well. They did say they are reluctant to put them here because the dirt sometimes kicks up and blocks the ports. But I have had mine in place for years and never ever had that problem. If you tell them you acknowledge their advice but really really want it this way they should do it for you.

They also put a little valve on the inside just to stop the water trickling out when not in use, like this:

vx0jr9.jpg

This is a great little feature because when out working, I set the controller to give the flow I want, then just use this valve to switch it on and off between houses. I don't ever need to fiddle with the controller again until the end of the day when it's time to switch the whole thing off. (the pump switches itself off if there is no flow out, and back on again when the valve is opened)

You can also see from that pic how good the speedliner is on that photo. I took it about 2 years ago and it looks just as good today. No peeling.

(Also - about the speedliner/ LINE-X - you can have that done at lots of places if you can find it cheaper, not just Ionics. I found somewhere that offered it for about £30 less, but to me it wasn't worth the hassle of arranging 2 different things, so I just got Ionics to do it. But you might be able to get it done more cheaply nearer to you.)

As for the heated water - I can't offer much advice except to say that the ionics "HOTBOX" as they call it comes with its own battery and is (from what I've seen) an excellent piece of kit, and I've often thought about upgrading my system with it when I have the money. They no longer do a 5kW version because, as they described it, it was "hot water in summer, luke warm in winter" so 9kw is what you really need if going for hot.

Some on forums will go on and on about gas water heaters like the infamous "L5" or whatever. Each to his own, but personally I wouldn't touch a gas heater with a barge pole, no matter how cheap. I am not even sure it's legal to carry around a connected gas cannister, despite what the fanboys say. But that is just my opinion.

Tank is properly baffled and I never have any motion in the van from the water surging around. I once worked with a mate who had a pressure washing business and just had an IBC tank in the back. Oh my god, I thought we were going to tip over sometimes. You don't realise how important it is to have good baffling, especially when about half full.

I paid a little bit extra on my system for a split-charge relay, which means the system's battery is charged as you are driving around. IMO this is well worth the extra money because I never have to charge my battery. No need to take it out/ have wires going up to it overnight etc. This was extra when I got my system, but by now it might well be a standard thing, but that's worth remembering if comparing other systems.

Anyway, that's all I can think of about my system. I've never had so much as a day's trouble with it, touch wood, and would have no hesitation at all in recommending Pure2o or Ionics in general.

Last edited by a moderator:
To me it is overpriced, £2,700 for what you could put together yourself for around £500 IS overpriced.

If you can't DIY then fair enough but you can't say that £500 worth of stuff and a days labour isn't overpriced at £2,700

To me it is overpriced, £2,700 for what you could put together yourself for around £500 IS overpriced.
If you can't DIY then fair enough but you can't say that £500 worth of stuff and a days labour isn't overpriced at £2,700
Agree, my whole setup

Was £700 (including my 25' facelift carbon pole) , and in my opinion it looks very professional and very smart compared to a 'professional' system...

Reliability wise, I've never had one single issue in 2 years, not even a minor issue... So diy is perfect...

Saw the pics of yours mate, looks every bit as good as a "professional" system.

These systems are incredibly simple, its a water tank, pump, controller and a battery, that is it, if you want your RO system in there as well also really simple, though I prefer a holding tank at home.

Saw the pics of yours mate, looks every bit as good as a "professional" system.
These systems are incredibly simple, its a water tank, pump, controller and a battery, that is it, if you want your RO system in there as well also really simple, though I prefer a holding tank at home.
Thanks mate, if I can do it anyone can, as I had no expierence of electrical and plumbing connections, but as you said, it's so simple.

It just seems really pointless to waste £1000's on something just because it has a brand name on it...

I wanted mkne to look good, but really, the only person that cares what it looks like is me, and other windies! Customers don't care, wife doesn't care, how blogs down the road doesn't care, all they want is clean windows...

Indeed, its just a pure water delivery system, like you say I don't think anyone gives a monkeys what it looks like as long as their windows are clean.

Back