Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Im Just Trying To Start Off And Looking For Advice And Tips!

WCF

Help Support WCF:

sam7512

Hey, well.. i am currently in full-time employment working 3 days a week (12.5 hour shifts) but I really fancy starting a window cleaning business on my days off work to facilitate some extra cash as my girlfriend is currently pregnant with our first child so I am hoping that this window cleaning on the side can replace my full-time job eventually! Really I'm just looking for tips to get started, I have been practicing regularly with basic stuff and I think I'm starting to pick it up, Anyway.. just looking for tips really on what equipment I need? Do i need a ladder or can I just use a long expandable pole instead? also what other equipment do you recommend for starting out? personally I'm not into the water fed pole system thing (my girlfriends parents window cleaner uses one and it always looks terrible where the water dries)! any advice on what equipment will be much appreciated and also any other hints and tips! thanks, sam

Hi mate I've been cleaning windows for 4 years, and love it. I'm still learning the tricks of the trade so to speak.

Traditional gear is relatively inexpensive, but I wouldn't just settle for the basic stuff as a good workman is only as good as his tools. What stuff have you got already?

I'd recommend getting a ladder because it's always good to be up close to the glass to make sure it's cleaned to a high standard. But I know some people that mostly use poles.

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

thanks for the reply cmack001, currently I just have some stuff I bought off eBay, iv got a scrubber / squeegee, a blade for removing tough stuff, a rectangle bucked , a belt bucket and a skimmer / rubber what ever you call them?

Not sure what the skimmer/rubber is, but sounds like you've got the essentials sorted out. What I done when I started was watched hours upon hours of videos on YouTube in order to get a rough idea of technique, then started practicing on my own windows. I'd never move to the next window till I was 100% happy with the one I was on.

I currently do security so iv been sat in my office for 12 hours a day watching youtube videos on how to clean windows haha! just a bit confused about what pole to buy? any recommendations? also what makes a good scrubber like what do you look for when buying one?

I currently do security so iv been sat in my office for 12 hours a day watching youtube videos on how to clean windows haha! just a bit confused about what pole to buy? any recommendations? also what makes a good scrubber like what do you look for when buying one?
To be honest, with regards to a scrubber, I like the fleece ones as I think they hold the water better than Microfibre sleeves. But that's just personal preference.

The squeegee is the most important of the two, get one that you like to use and stick with it.

I started off on brass squeegees and have just recently changed to the moerman liquidators.

I love them but a lot of people don't or can't get used to them.

Check out polzn bladz on YouTube. He's got some good videos.

the recommended traditional kit at the top of the page is a pretty good start.

I like unger gear as a standard set up. I'd pick up a 10" squeegee and applicator, a 14" squeegee and applicator, a 6" squeegee, and a 0 degree swivel handle which you can use with any of your squeegee channels for awkward to reach windows. that should cover most residential stuff. I like the unger microfibre applicator sleeves they hold a good amount of water, not too drippy and a good scrubbing action, i use soft rubbers all year round.

For a traditional pole i like the unger Unitec 1m-2m, it fits the unger handles perfectly and I generally find the locking mechanism more reliable an angle adapter is useful too.

Along with 5 or 6 80x60 microfibre scrims, and 5 or 6 microfibre cloths that should be enough to get you started.

You will need a ladder, a 3.0m(10ft) or 3.5m(12ft) double will be sufficient for most jobs. the lyte elt range are a pretty solid choice. I personally use an ELT330, which is a 3 section ladder, I use the top 2 sections as my regular window cleaning ladder, but i can use the 3rd section when required it saves having loads of ladders. get a set of ladder mitts which go on the top of the ladder and prevent it marking cills/upvc if you need to rest on them. a good quality stand off can be useful too.

a belt with a bucket on a belt and a pouch is invaluable, and a good quality glass scraper used with care!

You will want to go Water Fed Pole eventually, it is far more efficient and profitable, it sounds like you inlaws just have a **** window cleaner. but it is important to learn traditional techniques, it allows you to get started with a minimal investment, and to see if running a window cleaning business is for you, the actual cleaning of windows should be the easy bit!

Pick up some cheap Unger bits and spend your money on a good ladder and scrim,then get down to the Co Op theirs normal fairy Platinum on special /emoticons/biggrin.png

Definitely agree with all the top replies, but would like to add this. I've worked both full time and part time (with a job on shifts). Full time is OK if you have the work, but difficult with a young family, because you are reliant on the weather. Part time is a better option because you have that security of work, you don't have the same pressures, and you will be a lot better off financially. Remember though, that even though you might be part time and not earning much, you must get yourself registered with an accountant (even if you are not earning at the time), because if the tax people catch you, you will be in deep s**t. I was dobbed by someone, and they got me through my vehicle registration!!, and if they do drop on you, they will tell you how much THEY think you have earned, and you will have to prove that you didn't. Good luck.

Definitely agree with all the top replies, but would like to add this. I've worked both full time and part time (with a job on shifts). Full time is OK if you have the work, but difficult with a young family, because you are reliant on the weather. Part time is a better option because you have that security of work, you don't have the same pressures, and you will be a lot better off financially. Remember though, that even though you might be part time and not earning much, you must get yourself registered with an accountant (even if you are not earning at the time), because if the tax people catch you, you will be in deep s**t. I was dobbed by someone, and they got me through my vehicle registration!!, and if they do drop on you, they will tell you how much THEY think you have earned, and you will have to prove that you didn't. Good luck.
I don't agree with some of this. You don't have to register with an accountant atall bookkeeping if part time or at first is very easy. What you must do is register with HMRC within 90 days of statying.

Secondly I reackon its a good idea doing the security stuff while you learn and build up a few customers but you can earn so much more window cleaning that if you go for it whole heartedly and work your ass off you will be able o provide for family and more. Good luck with it and this forums a great place to learn

As said. Check polz n blades also @Trad\-Man on here has awesome vids..youtube.

Start off with a quality tool like the liquidator and it'll be easier to adapt from the off.

Your going to want pre washed and pre shrunk scrims...so they work right from the off.

Microfibre not scrim is my choice

You definitely have only seen a :turd: wfp job not a proper job and inevitably will end up wfp at some point if only for tops

Get decent ladders like the lyte elt range as pole work is effective but takes a lot of practice and experience to get right so you can practice while you are earning and not taking ages on a job

The moerman liquidator would be the squeegee i would go for and the moerman microfibre applicator can't be beat in my opinion

@daveyboy I know from before you don't rate the ettore porcupine sleeve/applicator but I like it for 1st cleans...if washed often it's ok

After that I'm microfibre flip pad on the liquidator too. Just ordered some fish scale microfibre actually they seem to be popular

Hey, well.. i am currently in full-time employment working 3 days a week (12.5 hour shifts) but I really fancy starting a window cleaning business on my days off work to facilitate some extra cash as my girlfriend is currently pregnant with our first child so I am hoping that this window cleaning on the side can replace my full-time job eventually! Really I'm just looking for tips to get started, I have been practicing regularly with basic stuff and I think I'm starting to pick it up, Anyway.. just looking for tips really on what equipment I need? Do i need a ladder or can I just use a long expandable pole instead? also what other equipment do you recommend for starting out? personally I'm not into the water fed pole system thing (my girlfriends parents window cleaner uses one and it always looks terrible where the water dries)! any advice on what equipment will be much appreciated and also any other hints and tips! thanks, sam

Start off traditional, but as soon as you get a little bit of spare money under I'd go wfp. NOT including the price of my van, I bought ALL my wfp gear INCLUDING a 600gpd RO system (that's what makes pure water) for £1400/£1500. That's s 500L tank&frame in van, 100metre hose reel, 22ft Gardiner pole (I strongly recommend these) and gardiner pump & controller. It's a investment which you'll be so glad you did. Within 12/18 months of doing the pole you'll be easily hitting £20/£25 an hour, without the risk of working on ladders all day long.

Anyway hope it goes well.

@daveyboy I know from before you don't rate the ettore porcupine sleeve/applicator but I like it for 1st cleans...if washed often it's ok
After that I'm microfibre flip pad on the liquidator too. Just ordered some fish scale microfibre actually they seem to be popular
I liked the porkypine but just found it dries out way too quick

No way could i do a house without re dipping a few times whereas the moerman one i can do a whole house with just wetting it before i start

Again I think all.good responses. The only thing that I would add is of you are not used to working on ladders then some articulated feet give you a bit more confidence. I had these put on when I first started for the little bit extra I personally think they are well worth it.

I don't agree with some of this. You don't have to register with an accountant atall bookkeeping if part time or at first is very easy. What you must do is register with HMRC within 90 days of statying.
Secondly I reackon its a good idea doing the security stuff while you learn and build up a few customers but you can earn so much more window cleaning that if you go for it whole heartedly and work your ass off you will be able o provide for family and more. Good luck with it and this forums a great place to learn
What happened to me was I was doing part time about 3-4 hrs a week, and I thought that I would not bother with an accountant this time (I have been in and out of window cleaning over the years), and would present my accounts at the end of the year, and the tax office would advise me. Oh no! I had a phone call, and then a letter telling me to attend, where I got a good grilling; they knew all about me, address, phone number where I worked, and told me that I would have to pay £2200. And this was because they did not have me on their records. So I went straight home and found an accountant, and I ended up paying £1300. So when I say register with an accountant, it is just to cover yourself. If I had have been registered with HMRC, they would not have come after me. But, not registered your on the fiddle. Once you have an accountant, you have no need to deal with HMRC directly, which is what you are paying him/her for.

As long as you register with hmrc within 3 months and have records for all of the work done in the meantime that is fine

I have done this for 26 years with no accountant and always been fine

I have got an accountant now who is a customer starting in April but you don't actually need one

Back