Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Grrrr

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Dodger

While I'm on one lol, is it just me and am I wrong to be annoyed. Just tried canvassing 2 areas I flyered a couple days ago and the same is happening every time, I'm only targeting houses that need a cleaner and when I get canvassing the replies almost always sorry I have someone, a Polish lad!! I'm sure he's following me now lol..

I'm gonna have to stick to getting work by recomendations cos I at least know I do a damn sight better job, I'm trad like the Polish 'lads' but give my customers value for money like clean frames and doors too when I'm done unlike the ones that are beating me to it.

The ones that show interest just want it cheaper than the Polish lads but seriously I'm not going down that road.

Rant over grrrr..

I'm only just starting out and find it hard canvassing anyway but it's dis-heartening. To contredict myself by the way, these guys I'd only pay a fiver an hour (kidding).

the polish work hard well the 1s iv seen working anyway lol not on windows yet but on site and stuff

don't worry so much fella go to diffrant areas if u can or keep going it is disharting but rocky never give up so why should you :]

The polish work very hard indeed but as above, they probably don't have insurance or using the right equipment.

Not giving up mate, I'm just having a bad day (week). I know Poles and others work hard I've seen it myself, I also know some brits could learn a thing or two from em.

Cant tar them all with the same brush so to speak, i know a couple of polish lads that are all insured up, and a few english lads that go cheaper than him, and arent insured!

Im trying to canvas a new area, well, my missus is /emoticons/ohmy.png/emoticons/smile.png but certain areas seem to be pretty well sewn up. What is it with people being all smarmy about it too! this new close we tried today (we have 2 fairly recent customers in it), got some interest as the window cleaner hasnt been since christmas and is quite irregular, but then some people take great pleasure in telling you that that same window cleaner is great and cleans all the houses in the estate and your wasting your time!

Trying to get my wife to see just got to let it roll off your back like water off a ducks back.....but its her first time canvassing, when i set up 8 years ago i did it with my brother..

Just stick at it and dont let it get to you mate.........he who dares rodney, and all that!

I have found that yo umay get nothing in some streets then round the corner its like every other house is wanting a window cleaner . usualy after a few houses you get a feel if there are regular cleaners in that street is what you may have heard but you still get people who have just moved in and you can nab them before they get to speak to the neighbours ;P

i try to find new housing estates and dont leave the 2 ups n downs i had one area where i had around 10 houses in a culdesac all 2 bed but was making more then my old manager per hour down that street

Yeah I would second AS Window Cleaning's sentiment there, its not just Polish people that can low ball, and run around with a bucket, scrim and rag asking for water. There seems to be a common assumption, that they are coming over here and stealing all our jobs. But the fact is that there is no advantage to employing a polish working over a British worker.

They say that there is 2.6 millions unemployed in this country, but the fact is that, there will be a large percentage of them that are just unemployable. I had one guy apply for a job, despite the advert saying apply sending a CV. This guy just emailed me and spelt heights, highets.

I had another guy believe it or not, turn down an interview because he was helping is mate with a flitting. Now I can appreciate that there are plenty of reasonable reasons for needed another date and time for an interview, but that is not one of them.

Back on topic

I wouldn't target just people who need a window cleaner, many people may be cleaning there own windows. Just go to a street, and knock every door, and see how it goes, you will get plenty or 'No's' but just keeping knocking. Persistence prevails.

Thanks for the encouragement chaps, not getting at anyone in particular even though it might sound like it after all I'd bet theres as many brits in spain as there are poles in uk. Just seems like this guys stalking me lol.

Just hate the knocking but loving the rest of the job so gotta keep on keeping on especially after such a bad day.

Back