Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Purefreedom 450gpd RO

Oh yes did see the fibredyne on there. Will wait till the membranes are fooked, then replace everything. Have gardiners poles, looking to get a 22ft to save using the 4ft and 30ft I already have

I've installed a few systems with the Fyberdyne filters and were not lasting to spec. We then installed a sediment filter prior to this and this seem to be going well. This is because there is a lot of sediment in the water so this is clogging the outer wall of the Fyberdyne filter.

Not everyone needs to do this but if you have a lot of sediment in the water worth doing this.

I've installed a few systems with the Fyberdyne filters and were not lasting to spec. We then installed a sediment filter prior to this and this seem to be going well. This is because there is a lot of sediment in the water so this is clogging the outer wall of the Fyberdyne filter.
Not everyone needs to do this but if you have a lot of sediment in the water worth doing this.

Hi Doug,

how can you tell if a c/b filter is working to spec or not?

We used to have a chlorine tester overseas to check the chlorine levels in our swimming pool. However, it was a very crude system and won't measure the tiny amounts of chlorine in our tap water.

http://waterpurification.pentair.com/Files/KnowledgeBase/ItemDownload/en/310114-pentek-cfb-plus-rev-d-my15.pdf

Here is a copy of the spec which it is rated at 37,800 litres but people make the mistake thinking it is treated water when it is not. It also gives an indication of the flow rate so if higher it will not catch all the chlorine in the water.

How much chlorine in the water is another factor, for example in Eastbourne water quality records a level of 50ppm which is way to high. Chlorine evaporates further down the line so ppm will become less.

It's these factors which people cannot state a membrane should last x years when certain water quality reports show high levels of chlorine.

The only way to check is the test strips as there is no meter available. Whoever makes one will make a killing in the market.

When you start looking into the structure of water high doses of Chlorine create another element called Tribromomethane. This is high in the water in Eastbourne.

A case study on long term effects this element causes kidney cancer.

Puts you off drinking tap water for life

When you start looking into the structure of water high doses of Chlorine create another element called Tribromomethane. This is high in the water in Eastbourne.
A case study on long term effects this element causes kidney cancer.

Puts you off drinking tap water for life
Its kind of worrying as we are led to believe our drinking water from the tap is totally safe to drink. Still, I guess we have a better quality of water than what some of those poor picanins are forced/have no choice but to drink in the rural areas of Africa. Mind you, without clean drinking water most won't live long enough to get kidney cancer.

Sometimes when we open our tap in the morning the water actually stinks of chlorine - and here's me thinking that the water board has done a high dosage to ensure our health. Even so, when we get this high concentration of chlorine, I switch the r/o off so it doesn't have to take the chlorine overload.

I often used to over chlorinate the swimming pool on a Friday evening so it was ready for the kids to enjoy themselves safely over the weekend. My saving grace was that it was open air so chlorine dissipated into the atmosphere very quickly when the sun rose.

With reference to the efficiency of Fiberdyne filters, its always been a concern of mine that the 10" ones aren't suitable for the flow rates a 4040 needs to work effectively. This is one of the reasons why I went the 20" route. But that was my opinion.

Oh yes did see the fibredyne on there. Will wait till the membranes are fooked, then replace everything. Have gardiners poles, looking to get a 22ft to save using the 4ft and 30ft I already have
The worse your membranes get, the more resin you will use the polish off the remaining tds. You can very quickly use up a bag of resin costing £80.

Personally, I would replace them all now.

Whilst each person is different I was once advised by a wfp supplier that once a membrane efficiency dropped to 94% its time to change it. At a tap water tds of 240 and a pure of 25 from your membranes your r/o is at 90%.

Back