Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Metal framed windows

WCF

Help Support WCF:

antondex

Hi everyone. I did a job a month ago of a big block of offices with metal framed windows using the WFP system. This was the first time id used the pure water system on the these windows. The finish was really bad once id gone inside to clean the windows so I went over the outsides again with the pole system .

I went back today to do my monthly clean and used the pole system again. I was inside an saw the water had dried on the windows really badly, almost stained patches all over the windows. I apologised to the manager an had to use the ladders an go over all of them again with my blade. It took me ages.

Can anyone share some light on why these types of windows do not suit the pole system at all after 3 cleans with the WFP system? Thanks

I do all kinds of frames as we , opposite you UK guys rarely see a pvc window . Sometimes its the sealing that Can absorb a lot of dirt . Plastic - windowseals are smooth ,the metal ones are probably not . most of the Windows in my area are woodenframes , aluminum , and a combo of the 2 . Wash a couple then go back and rinse , but stay away from the top inches . Once in a while i get a UK style window and i cant believe how easy they are to wash and rinse ... Wish i Got your Windows ! o_O

Hi Davey. Over here it is very rare to find PVC. Most from the past 30-40 years are aluminium. Over time the powder coating (or bare alu) oxidises and seals dry, crack and get gunge build up in them. WFP Nightmare, especially if they're only done 1-2 times yearly. We also have the older style iron frames on some of our early houses and heritage buildings which also can leach if the paint is breaking down. Sometimes you just have to grit your teeth and break out the trad gear.

I believe most Windows in my area are fit for wfp . The problem is the time , it Can take SO long to get all that dirt Out of a spunge-seal or a cracky woodenframe . But when cleaned regularly , its ok ! UK style Windows rule ! :thumbsup:

Pvc also oxidises on some houses where the windows are always in the sun

Once they have had a good scrub with a bit of ubik (yes i mentioned it again) they tend to sort themselves out

It is 1 bonus of having monthly and 2 monthly customers as they don't get chance to get bad again

Pvc also oxidises on some houses where the windows are always in the sunOnce they have had a good scrub with a bit of ubik (yes i mentioned it again) they tend to sort themselves out

It is 1 bonus of having monthly and 2 monthly customers as they don't get chance to get bad again
What!! You use ubik! Wished you had mentioned it before /emoticons/wink.png

Not sure if they are aluminium frames Il have to check that one but I'm just not taking the risk again with them, went over them twice last month an once again this week an still the same. I can't afford to loose a big commercial job like that so traditional it is. They are really OTT with the health an safety there too so I have to pay someone to hold the ladder also. Not ideal but better than losing the job completely

How about using an ankalad ladder stabiliser and not having someone with you as it is an hse approved safety device of which there aren't many

I think the ankalad is the only one..maybe the microlite standoff also i am not sure

Back