Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

It couldn't get worse...

Masons

So, at the moment I'm finding work hard.

I'm earning just about what I need to keep the business and my family going for the moment. But need to find some more work so as to keep the business a long term one, a sustainable one, as you cannot run on 'just enough'.

Now, this week has seen awful weather, so I got some things done that usually get left, and booking the van in for a service was one of them.

So I left the van with him, ready to canvass and whatnot.

Got a call half way through the afternoon; a lot needs replacing on the car including 2 tyres and a lot of the steering parts.

should be £400 minimum.

Kick. In. Teeth.

I haven't worked all week, and was debating about a new van, now this van has caused enough problems and will be sold.

Because of the issues I've had I'm going to spend more money on the next van, and take on extra debt to try and ease the situation, as I want one with a fitted system and my current one doesn't which costs time as I use 7 jerry cans and a trolley, which take constant filling, moving etc.

I've got a hopeful 5 new customers today, so things looking up in that regard.

But I didn't plan on this, so I ask you all...

"Any spare money you don't want you could throw my way?"

lol

Summer is coming long days will arrive you will be getting people ringing now as the weather improves head up the next 6 months are about to arrive save your money build your own system like i did a few 0000`s saved already .

Yeah, but it seems ages away, and I'm down a weeks wages, and the bills of this week, and the money for the van, then theres costs and stress of selling and buying.

Also the wifes car has to go in for warranty work.

In over my head /emoticons/biggrin.png

you have spent good earned money on your van keep it for a bit longer you have just serviced it by mechinics who would have a good look at it .If your not in a rush to find a van the right one will turn up ,which will give you a little more time to get yourself sorted

Been a week for weather, had to splash out a bit this . Had a cancellation today (£7) but summer is on the way

Masons,

If money is tight and constant vehicle repairs are costing you time and time again, why dont you consider buy a new one with a warranty and paying it up. I always though of this as a bad move, but to be honest, most of the time I buy cheaper vans, mainly because they are cheap, and also because they are going to get knocked about abit as a work van. But over the last couple of years, I could have paid the re-payments on a brand spanking new van for the money I spend on an old one which I have now got rid of. Worth looking into.

On the business side of things, gutter cleaning is a good way to get some extra business at this time of year for window cleaners. We have only started canvassing the other ***ht. The last few years we have been out jan/feb, but this year I decided to hold off, and do canvassing only, no leaflets. We are fully booked, at the moment, but I want to continue to built up work in the areas we already work, and get rid of a few time wasters, so we are still doing a bit of canvassing.

Get a pal to do out with you mate, give them the first clean as commission + min wage. Cheaper than buying a round. We were out the other ***ht and picked up 12 new customers, an extra £80 an month in less than 2 hours.

you have spent good earned money on your van keep it for a bit longer you have just serviced it by mechinics who would have a good look at it .If your not in a rush to find a van the right one will turn up ,which will give you a little more time to get yourself sorted
It cost me £70 for a fault in December and £133 in January at it's MOT.

I realise I have spent good money, but I don't want to lose more, it's now 9 years old.

I have a lot to think about.

I also have my van insurance to renew on Sunday, so if I decide to change it might be better off doing this week.

Sumtimes its a false ecconomy to keep an older van. Iv moved up to a bigger van n newer and im well happy with it. Cheaper than plumeting it into a van not worth wat the repair bills are

neil_09 this is something I may be going to look at next year, what have you gone for and if you are paying of leasing it, how much is it costing you if you don't mind me asking.

I would love to go down to the showroom and pick out 1 of the new Citroen dispatch/peugeot expert, with 3 seats in front, they look real tidy wee van.

My van is ex postie and red, it's a great wee van but don't like it red lol.

Any how masons, I think we all go threw times like you. With cars/vans they always money boxes with no ****, you never really get your money back, but go out knock like you've never knocked before and everything will be worth it..

Iv had my combo nearly 2 years, gone 110k, have only replaced the alternator, and a cv boot..

Hope ur luck changes for ya soon pal

go knocking, £50 a day is £250 a week, £1000 over the month do this and you have given your self a £12000 a year pay rise

do this for 3 months and your earning could go up my £36000 a year

Bit harsh Super Mck.

Hope you, and masons get your vans back soon.

These days it's not just outlay, but loss of earnings too - we can all do without that

Back