Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

VAT Threshold

WCF

Help Support WCF:

The only people who want to retire early are those that hate their jobs or are too ill/injured to work.....

Work is good for overall general health esp if you can cut hours down to suit as you age....
Look at you giving a sweeping statement for the whole human race. That comment is utter ?.
I’ll retire early as there’s more to life than work.
Some of us have plans for life. There’s so much to see and do on planet earth. If all people have in life is work, then that says more about them

Look at you giving a sweeping statement for the whole human race. That comment is utter ?.
I’ll retire early as there’s more to life than work.
Some of us have plans for life. There’s so much to see and do on planet earth. If all people have in life is work, then that says more about them

Personally i think everyone under retirement age should be doing some sort of part time work if their physically able and of sound mind...

If you didn't drink as much maybe you could retire earlier???

I will never retire fully until I'm forced to due to illness or injury because I enjoy working ?

Sod that. If I had the money I would retire now. I could think of plenty of things to keep me occupied if I had the funds to back it up. Unfortunately I’m no where near that yet. That said loads of my retired customers say they are bored sh1tless after the first few weeks but maybe they where forced into retirement rather than choosing it and if your finances are limited there’s only so much that you can do.

That's because secretly you hate your job...I never want to retire fully and won't until I'm forced too due to ill health or injury.??

Whether anyone chooses to retire completely at an early age or work part-time it's a personal choice, the actor Ian McKellen as a wild example is worth £50 million and is 84 years of age he doesn't have to work but does so as do many others worth more than him or a dam site less, people shouldn't be judged on their personal choices it's their life and no elses'

Whether anyone chooses to retire completely at an early age or work part-time it's a personal choice, the actor Ian McKellen as a wild example is worth £50 million and is 84 years of age he doesn't have to work but does so as do many others worth more than him or a dam site less, people shouldn't be judged on their personal choices it's their life and no elses'
I always said I'd retire at 55, then off the tools by 60. Here I am still on the tools at 60 but I'm not doing 40 hours a week 4 weeks a month. I was away Sunday working and got home midday Thursday. I am off all of next week, might go and help my son on Thursday if bored. I'm away week Sunday and get back Thursday afternoon. I'm then off till 1st week April where I have 3 days 1st week and 5 days 3rd week. I have it where I always have a week off at least every other week
I am quite happy working like this until old age finally catches up to me.

My dad worked right up until he died of lung cancer at 74.he worked part time in my brothers warehouse.he loved it!most of his friends and my uncle(in his early 80s!) also worked part time doing various odd jobs and gardening.they all loved it....

I'm no different.i come from a long line of lifetime workers and will window clean until I physically can't do the job anymore...

Ironically enough when I'm not cleaning I relax by working hard in the gym lifting weights!?????

I always said I'd retire at 55, then off the tools by 60. Here I am still on the tools at 60 but I'm not doing 40 hours a week 4 weeks a month. I was away Sunday working and got home midday Thursday. I am off all of next week, might go and help my son on Thursday if bored. I'm away week Sunday and get back Thursday afternoon. I'm then off till 1st week April where I have 3 days 1st week and 5 days 3rd week. I have it where I always have a week off at least every other week
I am quite happy working like this until old age finally catches up to me.
If you are happy and having a good life mate then fair play to you.

I honestly think I'd be bored ****-less if I came off the tools and retired, I see lots of retired doing sweet FA apart from sitting at home and having the odd holiday, my life isn't someone else's my life is my own, I know what will benefit me and my family and that's all that matters to me as I'm sure it does to others with them and their families.

Personally i think everyone under retirement age should be doing some sort of part time work if their physically able and of sound mind...

If you didn't drink as much maybe you could retire earlier???

I will never retire fully until I'm forced to due to illness or injury because I enjoy working ?
I’m financially secure and there’s absolutely nothing to stop me retiring now if I want to.
I don’t hate or dislike my job, just want to see the world and do all the things in life that make it worth while.
As for ‘drink as much’, it’s the social aspect of it that makes it worth it.
I’ll let you get back to your knitting, I’m off to the pub to enjoy myself ?

I’m financially secure and there’s absolutely nothing to stop me retiring now if I want to.
I don’t hate or dislike my job, just want to see the world and do all the things in life that make it worth while.
As for ‘drink as much’, it’s the social aspect of it that makes it worth it.
I’ll let you get back to your knitting, I’m off to the pub to enjoy myself ?
What can't you do now your still working that you ll be able to do when you retire?

Why can't you see the world now?no guarantee you ll be in good health in your later years...

Enjoy your pub time mate...?

I'll be staying in with the missus with a large mug of tea!?

What can't you do now your still working that you ll be able to do when you retire?

Why can't you see the world now?no guarantee you ll be in good health in your later years...

That's very true that. I'm reading a book at the minute called 'Life Leverage', basically it's all about not doing what society expects you to do and to take your life and time seriously and spend your time alive wisely.

It says that everyone strives to work towards a pension with the idea that it's some sort of perfect goal. They spend the best years of their lives slaving away in the hope of living their dream life later on. The book say this way of thinking is completely wrong on so many levels and one of the main ones being that you don't actually make it to retirement.

It says you should be living a retired lifestyle all the time. It says to enjoy making money and make money without working hard, do this for the rest of your life, allow plenty of time for family and for doing the things you really 'want' to do.

It's an interesting read and I do agree with most of it.

That's very true that. I'm reading a book at the minute called 'Life Leverage', basically it's all about not doing what society expects you to do and to take your life and time seriously and spend your time alive wisely.

It says that everyone strives to work towards a pension with the idea that it's some sort of perfect goal. They spend the best years of their lives slaving away in the hope of living their dream life later on. The book say this way of thinking is completely wrong on so many levels and one of the main ones being that you don't actually make it to retirement.

It says you should be living a retired lifestyle all the time. It says to enjoy making money and make money without working hard, do this for the rest of your life, allow plenty of time for family and for doing the things you really 'want' to do.

It's an interesting read and I do agree with most of it.
All well and good saying how you should live, no good if they don't tell you how to achieve making money without working hard.

I’m uneasy about just stopping work one day, and never doing anymore at 67 or whatever.

I’m planning to start cutting down much earlier while I’m still fairly young. It’ll mean I’m still doing a bit in my 70s, but window cleaning is the perfect job for that.

Even a couple of easy mornings could get you £250-300 a week, which is a nice little pension top up.

All well and good saying how you should live, no good if they don't tell you how to achieve making money without working hard.
It doesn't give you a blueprint on how to get money, it gives you the push to reorganise your priorities. It goes on about how much tax we pay, working hard to pay income tax, then trying to keep up with this so called 'necessary' expenditure what society is conditioned to believe they need.... all while paying more tax in VAT.

Take window cleaning for example. How much money do you really need? Once you know how much you need then how much work do you need to do? Now you know how much work you need to do, is there a way of doing that work faster, easier to get more time to yourself? Can you charge more so you don't have to work as long to get your money that you need? Can you earn more money working less... maybe sub contracting out the work?

Then once you have the money, is it wise to spend it or can you make the money work for you via other investments?

It's simple stuff but it is right. I'm not planning on doing window cleaning up to retirement, I'll be reinvesting the money and I'll be doing something that tests my business brain more, that's what I enjoy. I'll make the money work for me via multiple income streams with minimal effort.

I'd say be a window cleaner because based on what I've learned in recent weeks there are far more skilled people than me working for less than I do, it's also possible to beat savings account rates and the performance of a pension on a year-on-year basis.

I'd say be a window cleaner because based on what I've learned in recent weeks there are far more skilled people than me working for less than I do, it's also possible to beat savings account rates and the performance of a pension on a year-on-year basis.

Was asked something a bit similar, someone asked if I could go back would I get into a trade instead.

Told them that being proper self employed will have its sleepless nights at times as the works not coming in, although not the most glamorous job in the world I probably earn the same as the other trades being self employed and I don't have the hassle of constantly having to fill up slots with work.

I know my schedule for 99% of my work in January for the full year ahead. There's not alot , if any tradesman has that benifit in what they do.

Was asked something a bit similar, someone asked if I could go back would I get into a trade instead.

Told them that being proper self employed will have its sleepless nights at times as the works not coming in, although not the most glamorous job in the world I probably earn the same as the other trades being self employed and I don't have the hassle of constantly having to fill up slots with work.

I know my schedule for 99% of my work in January for the full year ahead. There's not alot , if any tradesman has that benifit in what they do.

I agree.once your well established this is a very straightforward business to run day to day.even more so now with dedicated software like cleaner planner,aworka,squeegee,etc making keeping records virtually effortless and relatively stress free.

My window cleaning income doesn't fluctuate much from month to month.its stays pretty steady all year round.?

Other trades have major headaches I know a few lads and it ain't as plain sailing as window cleaning, the lads I know usually have a lead time on jobs of 8 weeks with some leeway on certain jobs which sometimes get moved around depending on what the jobs are kitchens and bathrooms etc a mate of mine is doing 6 day weeks at times he is 51 years old and about knackered with arthritis

Back