Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Batteries with Guarantee

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Clearview Lee

How long is the battery supposed to last us roughly??

I've just bought one with a 2 year guarantee, but if that's the case I'll be returning it and getting a free one every time?? How does that work?...

The life of a battery depends on how you discharge and charge it. Not sure how you can prove you've looked after it?

Exactly my point. Surely if it comes with a guarantee it shouldn't matter how I use it within that time frame should it? 2 years is 2 years, but as we all know - they don't last us even half that! Someone must have taken one back on guarantee surely???....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hmmm I had one but...

when I looked into returning it I was liable for the return postage ...and...

would only get a replacement if they inspected it and found it to be a manufacturing fault...

so I bottled out ...most guarantees have small print in to wriggle out..

but you never know some suppliers are better than others.../emoticons/biggrin.png

How long is the battery supposed to last us roughly??
I've just bought one with a 2 year guarantee, but if that's the case I'll be returning it and getting a free one every time?? How does that work?...
Numax told me that wpf window cleaners abuse their batteries by the sheer nature of their work. They refuse to give a warranty on any battery used by a window cleaner as they estimate that our batteries only last about 6 months. Warranty will always exclude customer abuse or using a product for a job it wasn't designed to do. (If it went to court, how do you prove that their product they sold you wasn't fit for purpose? @SPC although it should really be their having to prove that you didn't look after it rather than you having to prove you did. (Where is the "old innocent until proved guilty" aspect gone?)

Last edited by a moderator:
Crikey - are u seriously saying your battery is 4 years old, Spruce?? I've only had my machine 3 years and I'm on my 4th battery - and I reckon I only do 20 hours a week!! Where am I going wrong??? [emoji17]

They want you to 'dip' into the amp hours rather than take them down to sixty percent, which is what we do.

Extreme temp will fuckem up also. My mates lead acid batteries froze up once. Not good

Crikey - are u seriously saying your battery is 4 years old, Spruce?? I've only had my machine 3 years and I'm on my 4th battery - and I reckon I only do 20 hours a week!! Where am I going wrong??? [emoji17]

I didn't do too well with leisure batteries when I had my trailer. I often wondered if it was because it was fixed to the draw bar and exposed to the elements. It was charged with a split charge relay from my Suzuki Van which was wired up through the 2nd tow bar electric socket.

When I went to a van mount the battery was no longer outside in the wet and cold. I also mounted it on a 1/2" block of rubber matting to insulate it from the freezing cold van floor. The only other thing I can think of is that my van is kept frost free in the winter (although the other 2 aren't) and that they are all kept dry.

I also fitted a Torberry connector to each of the vans so I could plug my Numax leisure battery in easily for charging. The battery is too heavy to lift in and out of the van and being very dyslexic I occasionally get the terminals mixed. Thankfully the previous car charger I used to use would blow an easily accessible fuse.

I replaced the Numax a couple of months ago as I found it wasn't holding a sufficient charge if I didn't charge it up every evening. I have now got an Oldham 110 amp leisure battery so we will see how that does. What I like about the Oldham is that it isn't maintenance free, so I can top up the water when I need to.

I am a little concerned though. I also have changed my Split charge relay from a 15 amp one to a 140 amp one with much thicker feed cables. The 15 amp one failed after having been in service for about 6 years. This new relay will charge at a much higher rate than the 'original' relay, so this means that I must keep an eye on the water levels. If we've had a heavy day I can usually see the battery being charged by the alternator up around 16 to 18 amps. I have never seen this before with the old relay and against the battery manufacturers advise that a leisure battery should only be charged at about 10% of the batteries amperage.

I usually charge my leisure battery every second evening overnight, but if the battery has had a hard day then I will charge it that same evening even if it isn't due.

Solar Power comes with a caution! 'Don't turn on ignition with cables connected' Christ almighty - how are u supposed to remember that every time u get in the motor?!! I done it twice already!!

@spruce i love your posts spruce, it's like reading a book,

Tell me about this rubber Matt for the battery? Can you tell me where you get it from?

@spruce i love your posts spruce, it's like reading a book,
Tell me about this rubber Matt for the battery? Can you tell me where you get it from?

I'm afraid I don't know where it came from. It was in the back of my van covering the ply lining floor when I bought it. I haven't been able to find anything like it on ebay.

PureFreedom locate their battery mount on the van mount about half way up the tank. This will also help to protect the battery from extreme cold.

Another suggestion is to cut up a thick piece of wood and use that as an insulator.

Or foam. My filters in my garage have not frozen since I crafted a polystyrene box for it.

Good idea,

Polystyrene might be a good one to use...

A slab of that under me battery might give it a few months more use!

396b68a5e7a49ac00f18d59f60b9ba78.jpg

My filters etc. the 2 pieces of white poly are just extra padding. The thick black on either side, above and bottom are also foam. I just tarted it up with paint. Shoved an old pillow in there for good measure as it cost me a small fortune 3 years ago when they burst in the freezing weather, but not since! [emoji106]

Latest Posts

Back