Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Filter Housing

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Andrew Carr

Hello i am new to this forum and have been window cleaning for 18 month and use waterfed and traditional cleaning throughout my round.

i have just sold a small van that i had the K- System fitted. And have purchased a vivaro van due to needing a larger system fitted.

could anyone advise me on what the difference is between the filter housing size the ones that was fitted to my last system were 10" and i have seen 20" what differance would the larger one's make ?

Regards Andrew Carr...

Thank you rcproperty, i am going to buy a new system and will possibly fit the larger size now. just looking for information and any help that i might need when instaling the unit i have a couple of catalogues from companys dealing with the systems. any suggestions as to a reliable retailer would be greatly appriciated..

Cheers Andrew.

That's okay, as in what system to go for it can't help on that as I have a static system at home and then fill my van up from that.

I have always successfully used GAC carbon Filters on my 450GPD RoMan type r/o.

One of the suppliers listed a service life of 2500 gallons for this particular 10" filter. This means that if you have a r/o with a 3 : 1 waste/pure ratio, you will only get 2800 litres of pure before the filter service life is finished. If you are using 350 liters a day, then you will need to change you filters 3 times a month.

Unhappy with that, I have just put a 4040 system together and ordered 20" filters as I presumed that they would last longer. When I unpacked the box I see the service life of the 20" GAC filter is also 2500 gallons. Changing that 4 times a month was going to cost us around £70.00 just for carbon filters alone for the amount of water we use. (We are still using the same amount of water as we always did but the 4040 allows us to make it quicker. I used to change the 10" GAC filters every 3-4 months without issue as the last lot of membranes lasted us just on 7 years, If these filters had only lasted the service life they claim, then my R/o membranes won't have lasted as long as they did IMHO.)

So I emailed Osmotics who replied, " You should replace them every 6months or 2500gallons as per the sticker, the carbon stage is essential to strip chlorine from the water which will destroy the membrane if it came in contact.

As an alternative we would however a Chlorplus block as it has a much higher capacity.

http://www.osmotics.co.uk/products/Pentek-ChlorPlus-Carbon-Block-Filter-20%22.html

So I have just ordered one.

Spruce

You don't need a GAC filter as that is more for drinking water. A carbon filter is more suited for window cleaning systems and costs less. There are various grades of carbon filters, some will last longer than others.

The Chlorpus block will not remove the same as carbon so personally would not use it.

You don't need a GAC filter as that is more for drinking water. A carbon filter is more suited for window cleaning systems and costs less. There are various grades of carbon filters, some will last longer than others.

The Chlorpus block will not remove the same as carbon so personally would not use it.
Should have spoken to you before I ordered the inline tds meter on Friday and you could have advised me.

What carbon filter would you have suggested and how effective would it be?

I was advised many years ago that the GAC filter was better in our window cleaning industry than the carbon block - hence the reason why I use it. What I find amazing is how different experts can have total opposite opinions on this.

Thanks.

Hi Spruce,

It's all down to grade of carbon and specification of filters. The cheap filters that you can buy off Ebay will have a lower grade of carbon and therefore will not treat as much water.

Pentair are the highest spec you can buy but cost more.

The Chlorpus filter can absorb Chlorine better than you Carbon Block filter but will treat less water. If you don't have high Chlorine content in your water then there is no need for it and a Carbon Block will do the job.

As a guideline this is how many litres of water a 10" would produce before changing:-

Carbon Block - 11,400l

GAC - 18,900l

Chloroplus - 9,463l

Hi Spruce,

It's all down to grade of carbon and specification of filters. The cheap filters that you can buy off Ebay will have a lower grade of carbon and therefore will not treat as much water.

Pentair are the highest spec you can buy but cost more.

The Chlorpus filter can absorb Chlorine better than you Carbon Block filter but will treat less water. If you don't have high Chlorine content in your water then there is no need for it and a Carbon Block will do the job.

As a guideline this is how many litres of water a 10" would produce before changing:-

Carbon Block - 11,400l

GAC - 18,900l

Chloroplus - 9,463l
Hi Doug

I see on the Pentek website, their spec sheet for the Chlorplus 10 gives a chlorine reduction (not removal) of 189270 liters at 3.8 LPM.

I suppose the only way to test chlorine content is by buying a chlorine tester, but would expect chlorine levels in the water to fluctuate a fair bit as sometimes we can smell it in the water when opening the tap, and other times we can't.

Spruce

ps. Love the inline tds tester. Its a great bit of kit. Thanks

Back