Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

How To Canvass?

buzzing

I have a polo shirt with my newly made up name on it and my ladder and gear and leaflets. Should I always knock on door and not just leave a leaflet through letter box? I just have a car with magnetci signs and a ladder on roof.

What should I say when they answer the door?

And was told to get houses near each other so as not to be driving all over the place, how do I make sure this happens?

What if others are doing cleaning at the houses I ask at?

For me, you knock on the door, explain you are asking in the area if people would like their windows doing. If somone already does it, say thank you and walk away from it. If not give them a price.

If they're not in id leave a card saying we called but you were not in. If interested we will clean your house for £......

As for the area. You just make sure you only canvass in the areas you want to work. I know lots of guys that turn work down as it is not in their area. Dont be afraid to turn work down if it does not fit in where you work. You will spend more time getting there than doing it.

Ive learnt the hard way and on some days ended up driving all over the place and then thinking..... what have I actually earned.....

I knock on a door and say hi their would u like a window cleaner ? /emoticons/smile.png

They say no i say okay thanks cya

They say ermmm no.... ( they seem a bit unsure ) Just leave them a card /emoticons/smile.png thats all

They say yeah... just say okay is your back gate open soi i can pop around ? Then give them a price /emoticons/smile.png simple mate thyey agree ... ? Take the details and tell them when your around next and tell them from then its every month or whatever /emoticons/smile.png

Also if their not in... leave ac rd through the door.. i dont put a price on my cards... some people do but i dont /emoticons/smile.png

Also every day i work... my work is all within 1 mile from eachother /emoticons/smile.png

so its not to bad...

Its no good having 10 jobs in 1 day... and 1 job is at 1 place.. and the rest of your jobs are like 14 miles away ! /emoticons/tongue.png

But dont worry about how close your jobs are mate... just take anything on as your starting out

Once you get 200/300 customers... you can then organise your customers on which days u like /emoticons/wink.png

Hope this helps mate : p

I cover all areas in my city... and thats like 40 miles apart /emoticons/tongue.png but when i clean the area i make sure all the jobs are compact as possible... i have 1 or 2 days were my jobs are a bit out of place : ) But its still worth it : ) Cos i know am goign to sort this out when i get more customers ; )

Knock on door "hello there, I was wondering if I could interest you in a window cleaning quote today?" The most typical response is "I already have a window cleaner" which doesn't actually answer my question /emoticons/wacko.png, but if they seemed a bit unsure I'l say Are you sure I can't interest you in a quote? My quotes do include your windows, frames, sills & front/ back door etc, if they say yes I ask them if they have a conservatory or not (Alot of people seem sceptical if you just ask to look around the back right away) and then say is it alright if I have a look around the back to give you a more accurate quote. Once I'v given the quote I'l write it on the back of my leaflet and say I generally do this estate on (insert day here) so I can pencil you in for next (whichever day) or I can leave you the leaflet with the quote on and you can call me up any time to arrange the window cleaning. If they say they don't want a quote I'l say "thanks very much for your time anyway" or something along those line

If they aren't in I'l generally just pop a leaflet through the door. But 95% of my work comes through giving quotes door to door, 4% people seeing me cleaning and asking for a quote and 1% from leaflets.

Ask if they want a free quote, not if they want them cleaning.

Offering a quote leaves them with no immediate obligation to buy and they see another chance to turn you away.

Once you give the quote if it's better than the one they already have or if you offer a better service they'll most likely take you on.

If someone knocked on my door and said can I give you a quote for a product I don't see why I'd ever say no, as I said, it means you get the option of a better deal without saying yes straight away.

I dont see the point in saying offer u a quote... i jsut ask them hi would u like a window cleaner /emoticons/smile.png

Keep it basic and simple /emoticons/tongue.png

lol

But some people prefer different phrases /emoticons/tongue.png

I like to keep it simple all the time /emoticons/biggrin.png

I guess it's important to speak to the person face to face? If so what time of day/ or day of week is it best to knock on doors?

Also how do you give a quote? Is a case of charging £30/hr (live in Bournemouth) then calculating the time and possibly halving this ?

The best time to catch everyone in is after tea time, 6-8:30 would be good..

Although there are many people at home during the day, so if your not doing anything I'd get out whenever! Also commercial you can canvass during the day.

Pricing, well that's something that differs alot between different cleaners, it's not really got much to do with an area as some think.. It's really what your happy to clean them for. You want to make it worth while and also sound affordable for the customer.. £30 ph is a good wage!

I earn about £15.00 per hour avarage....

Today i worked 6 hours and earnt £120.00 though

but average is £15.00 per hour /emoticons/smile.png but i can only improve and improve /emoticons/smile.png

Back