Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Minimal pump supply

WCF

Help Support WCF:

iow dave

Hi.

I've got an issue with my wfp system where the pump doesn't seem to be supplying water at all. I fully charge the battery and it supplies a spluttering amount of water, nowhere near the 5l/m it should do, for a while and then won't make any pressure, even on the maximum boost setting.

I've got a shurflo 100psi pump which is brand new as I have just replaced it think that was the issue last month and varistream controller. With 1/2" hose from the tank to pump and pump to 100m of 8mm hose reel.

All connections and hoses seem fine and kink free.

The only other thing I can really think of is the battery maybe?? Which is around 3yrs old.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

If you have a strainer check it's not blocked, check inside resin bottle that everything is as it should be. Possibly your calibration on the controller. Mine done this before and I turned the calibration up and it went back to normal

3 years old is a good life for a battery in window cleaning terms @iow dave. The best way to check it is to swap it with another battery or connect your controller directly up to the van battery. If the pump returns to normal performance, then the battery either needs to be replaced or recharged.

Controller calibration is also a consideration as @CHWS has posted.

You will never achieve a flow of 5 lpm using 100 meters of minibore hose and a brush with 2mm jets. With the water being colder it will be less as the viscosity of water changes with temperature. Water at zero degrees C is a solid.

no joy with changing any of the pressure settings on the controller unfortunately. it was set at c, changed it to d and then e and theres no improvement.

if I disconnect the 1/2" hose from the hosereel then I can just get the 'spluttering' supply. reconnect that to the hosereel and I get nothing out of the open end of the 8mm hose. the sound of the pump changes and becomes quieter but no water supply at all.

will have to get hold of another battery tomorrow to try and eliminate that.

no joy with changing any of the pressure settings on the controller unfortunately. it was set at c, changed it to d and then e and theres no improvement.if I disconnect the 1/2" hose from the hosereel then I can just get the 'spluttering' supply. reconnect that to the hosereel and I get nothing out of the open end of the 8mm hose. the sound of the pump changes and becomes quieter but no water supply at all.

will have to get hold of another battery tomorrow to try and eliminate that.
C is the default factory setting. Are you using any of those stop end Hozelok tap connectors? Also unreel the whole hose reel of hose right to the end and layer it back on again.

We had a hose kink on the inner layers which restricted flow.

When you connect the hose reel up, is there any battery warning flashing on the 'screen'?

If you have a branch of Halfords near you they can test your battery.

The standard c setting has worked since I set up my system nearly 3 years ago so I'm just assuming that will still be okay?

Have unwound the hose and put it all back on to make sure it's nice and tidy.

Have tried using stop end and standard connectors to eliminate that potential issue.

There is a Halfords nearby so a trip over there may be worth it.

Hi.I've got an issue with my wfp system where the pump doesn't seem to be supplying water at all. I fully charge the battery and it supplies a spluttering amount of water, nowhere near the 5l/m it should do, for a while and then won't make any pressure, even on the maximum boost setting.

I've got a shurflo 100psi pump which is brand new as I have just replaced it think that was the issue last month and varistream controller. With 1/2" hose from the tank to pump and pump to 100m of 8mm hose reel.

All connections and hoses seem fine and kink free.

The only other thing I can really think of is the battery maybe?? Which is around 3yrs old.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Silly question probably but have you reset it properly?! Put it to 30 first... then do the reset thing where u press the 2 outer buttons... then down arrow all the way until it says auto?! Then enter... (you can do it manually rarer than the auto but I never do)

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Silly question probably but have you reset it properly?! Put it to 30 first... then do the reset thing where u press the 2 outer buttons... then down arrow all the way until it says auto?! Then enter... (you can do it manually rarer than the auto but I never do)

Thanks but Sorry that doesn't relate to the controller that I've got. It's only got a single digit display on it.

Thanks but Sorry that doesn't relate to the controller that I've got. It's only got a single digit display on it.
Oh, never seen them (just googled so I think I know what u mean) but there still has to be a way to calibrate it surely.. that's it's whole job?! I might be wrong

Okay so I've now put a new battery on (on offer at Halford at the minute) along with the new pump from last week and I'm still not getting the pressure that I used to.

If it's something as simply as an airlock how long would you expect that to take to clear??

Can you disconnect your hose where it connects into your reel whilst the pump primes. When the pump has to push against the remaining water in your hose reel it makes it difficult for it to generate enough suck on the input side to clear an airlock. I've found with my system that a pump can struggle to prime if there is any back pressure from the rest of the hose. However, if I disconnect that hose it takes only seconds to prime. This will only work however if you are not using a waterstop type connection at your reel for obvious reasons. If you are, then you need to open it with another connector.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay so I've now put a new battery on (on offer at Halford at the minute) along with the new pump from last week and I'm still not getting the pressure that I used to.If it's something as simply as an airlock how long would you expect that to take to clear??

Are you talking about pressure (calibration) or flow (settings 0 - 9 & B)?

As your water gets colder the viscosity changes. The pump doesn't have to work as hard with water at 20 degrees C than it does at 5 degrees C.

I can't believe how much less my flow is now than it was a while back. We have Varistreams.

Oh, never seen them (just googled so I think I know what u mean) but there still has to be a way to calibrate it surely.. that's it's whole job?! I might be wrong

@luca. @iow dave has a Varistream controller which he has already adjusted the calibration on. On the controller he uses C is a calibration setting.

Spring make rebadged controllers for just about all the wfp suppliers in their own chosen colours and names. Spring controllers have both a manual and auto calibrate function which are 1 and 2 digits 0 to 99.

Varistream use a single digital display 0 to 9 and then A to F, 0 being the lowest and F being the highest. C is factory default setting which is great for Shurflo pumps.

Varistream Auto Compensating Pump Controller

Problem solved!!

Having spent the afternoon taking the whole system apart it seems that the in-line filter before the pump has a slight crack in it. Enough to allow air in and water out. Filter removed and it's all working perfectly again.

A rather frustrating and expensive way to find a fault with one of the cheapest parts of my whole system[emoji34][emoji34]

Thanks for all the help.

I can see you have the same controller I have. Quick question: Do you have to calibrate every time you disconnect battery?

I know there was a thread here with the answer to my question but cant find it with search.. First week with a van mount so I am still trying to work out the best settings.

I can see you have the same controller I have. Quick question: Do you have to calibrate every time you disconnect battery? I know there was a thread here with the answer to my question but cant find it with search.. First week with a van mount so I am still trying to work out the best settings.
Hey! So you only really need to calibrate when you feel it's not pumping what you think it should... (put on 30 before starting calibration) when properly calibrated and it's at 45/50 should be pumping out really strong... if you've just got a van mount I'd definitely get a split charger (fitted about £80/£90 parts and labour in London) and it charges rear battery off the front one... I haven't disconnected for nearly 2 years on the first van... a must I reckon. Good luck with it, any issues let me know I've gone through most on these blasted vans [emoji85] [emoji1303][emoji1303]

Back