Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Days lost in winter

squeegeeman

Hi guys and galls, on average how many days do you lose per week because of weather during winter? I have a full six week round and im concerned about getting behind

I'm already behind, and its hard to catch up again.

I was a week behind due to bad weather and then lost two weeks due to one of the children being in hospital. So I'm at least three weeks behind. I lost 3 days this last week due to heavy rain and there is a weather warning for heavy rain on Tuesday. Guess more like four weeks behind. So I'm not very happy with the weather at the moment.

Hi guys and galls, on average how many days do you lose per week because of weather during winter? I have a full six week round and im concerned about getting behind
With a full 6 week round have you thought of taking anyone on to work with you? Might turn it into a 3 week round and the bit you skim off the top will pay for the bad days. Just a thought.

not keen on taking someone on, ive worked for a company before and 90% of the guys work was poor quality "been cleaning windows for 20 years no one faster than me" nothing wiped down drips everywhere. Ive got a great reputation don't want to ruin it.

Really wondering how many days people loose to weather im trad. Guys i worked for were wfp we worked in all weathers so no probs, had to give up Friday couldn't do a proper job because of rain

not keen on taking someone on, ive worked for a company before and 90% of the guys work was poor quality "been cleaning windows for 20 years no one faster than me" nothing wiped down drips everywhere. Ive got a great reputation don't want to ruin it.
Really wondering how many days people loose to weather im trad. Guys i worked for were wfp we worked in all weathers so no probs, had to give up Friday couldn't do a proper job because of rain
Sorry I can't help mate. When the weathers bad I'm doing indoor jobs. I struggle to keep up with the small round I have let alone a 6weeker.

I know what you mean squeegeeman

I wouldn't trust more than 2 people i know to do as good a job as me and that is 2 people i have worked with in the past and we have helped each other out

They own their own businesses so have the same attitude as me

Wouldn't leave employees alone to do the job as i would be constantly checking their work

I know what you mean squeegeemanI wouldn't trust more than 2 people i know to do as good a job as me and that is 2 people i have worked with in the past and we have helped each other out

They own their own businesses so have the same attitude as me

Wouldn't leave employees alone to do the job as i would be constantly checking their work
I wouldn't either mate. My plan in the future would be to work alongside them like Boar does, and I was thinking of doing all the ladder work to remove the liability factor. I can also inspect their work easily if its all on the ground floor.

I would personally take on a complete noob, and then train him up to work like I do. Whereas if I take on a 'veteran' he may bring a load of bad habits with him.

Out of interest how many guys work WFP in the rain. I used to, but seem to have got out of the habit. Think I need to give myself a good talking to and get on with it. /emoticons/biggrin.png

Out of interest how many guys work WFP in the rain. I used to, but seem to have got out of the habit. Think I need to give myself a good talking to and get on with it. /emoticons/biggrin.png
If I was WFP then I would mate. Its practically the same stuff.

you need to step up the pace in winter. dont dare go home early on the nice weather days, ramp it up ,bring work forward a few days pick which ones/ not the granny with it written on the calendar !

its surprising how much more you can do,for a short burst, than what you THOUGHT you could do

I wouldn't either mate. My plan in the future would be to work alongside them like Boar does, and I was thinking of doing all the ladder work to remove the liability factor. I can also inspect their work easily if its all on the ground floor.
im on the ladders all day but not for liability reasons,jus iv a girl helper , lightly built shes not capable of lugging a ladder . but you are spot on about keeping an eye on the quality of work done , its a must!

i lost a job last week cos they heard my workers swearing as they chatted going about their work, as youngsters do - something else for me to bring up tmoro, mind your fookin language !

My plan is to build up as a 1 man band for a couple of years then my son can help if he wants when he is 16 and wants money same as i was when i started

Then if he is not interested take on someone to train like tolish said

Best way i think is to teach someone from scratch

The whole employee thing scares me, reckon if I was to take someone on they would have to go self employed and I pay them cash each week.

The whole tax, NI, holiday pay, bank holidays, maternity leave yadda yadda yadda, all seems very tiresome and hard work.

As said pick the good ones. The ones that you think might moan with you being late. Leave the ones that don't worry to much. We've all got them. You will get behind. I never seem to be on time. People have to realise that your up against the weather. You cannot control it.

If you have a guy self employed for over a certain amount of months they are entitled to all the benefits of an employee such as holiday pay and sickness etc

Maybe worth just having a paye employee to start with

Back