Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Help needed with price

H

Hunty

Did not think this would be my first thread but there you go.. Great site and has helped me massively with my start up so thanks to all!!

Now to the help needed I have been asked to quote for a block management company 8 block all round external, up 5 floor approx 100 ft my poles only go 35 but they will hire a cherry picker so that's not the issue, my main issue is where do I start with the quote there are over 500 windows easy and I have no idea where to start with price, at first I thought easy work out a day rate and then how long will take but there's my snag there I have no idea how long will take me and they will need to order cherry picker at rate of 150 per day so any help here would be appreciated on where I would begin.

Thanks for reading!!

yep daveyboy said it all....and then add some for any hassle you can see....

and good luck ...why the feck cant I get nice big jobs to quote...:whistle:

Id be tempted to say stick the cherry picker give me the money and I will buy a nice shiny bloomin neil type big pole....

if neil spots this post he will best advise as he has plenty of big uns...jobs that is...

Last edited by a moderator:
Instead of a cherry picker would it not be possible to charge cherry picker money and buy a bigger pole?

Then when they want you to do it again you do it for the same price and poicket the cherry picker money.

Thanks for the responses all, yes that is an option, I have just never used anything that big (add punn here) is it the same concept as going to a 2nd floor as going to a 5th? and although I am quoting for 8 blocks there are 40 in total and I have been told that if good job is done if price agreed I will have a shot at them all!! So really wanna get this right.

Thanks for reading

Were you hoping to use your pole from the cherry picker to reach? If so that will be a nightmare mate, trust me!

You'll want a longer pole for sure...

I would say £500 is a bit to cheap for that amount of windows and the height, you'll probably want around £650-700, then you can take a 2-3 days to do it...

Thanks for the responses all, yes that is an option, I have just never used anything that big (add punn here) is it the same concept as going to a 2nd floor as going to a 5th? and although I am quoting for 8 blocks there are 40 in total and I have been told that if good job is done if price agreed I will have a shot at them all!! So really wanna get this right.
Thanks for reading
Same principal, but it's hard hard work at those heights mate, honestly it's not fun! That's why I'm suggesting you charge a lot more than £500, also how often will they be wanting you to do it? As that will massively effect the price you give...

Think how long it would take off a cherry picker, moving it etc, also you would need two of you in case it shuts down due to not being level or the wind blowing the wrong direction or the moon being in the wrong phase.....

Price a pole into it.

Same principal, but it's hard hard work at those heights mate, honestly it's not fun! That's why I'm suggesting you charge a lot more than £500, also how often will they be wanting you to do it? As that will massively effect the price you give...
Thanks and that was what I was thinking, they want two quotes 6 and 12 months, thing is in my opinion and that is often wrong when quoting something like that they say 6 months and don't use you again, so I am tempted to say it's the same for these two periods as both would be "first clean" dirty in mind.

Looking about though it's gonna cost over £1k for a pole that big and anyone got a suggestion on what to buy?

Thanks for reading

If it was me, bearing in mind I do things a bit differently at times....

Get some kind of contract written up explaining you will need to buy extra equipment and to make it viable would need to do it a few times.

Work out how many days, plus the cherry picker at £150 a day for those days, work out a price you are happy with, then either stump up the remainder of the cash or if its enough cash buy the pole needed.

First job maybe a loss or break even? following jobs big bucks.

I really agree with what you are saying and really want to go the pole route, my only worry is that I am going to under quote I think it's going to take a minimum of a week for me to do on my own 5 floors all round I have a few very awkward access windows and I have never used this size pole, this is a real recipe for disaster or the start of something great.

So sounds loads of money but quoting 275 per day (won't quote that way but as a total value) is not out the way if cherry picker (with driver) is 150 per day.

Do you know the exact height of the highest windows @Hunty ? I'd of thought it'd be less than 100ft..
It is 5 floors up and my 35 ft pole goes just under half way, but there are a few access issues and Iay stand

Exactly, with a picket I reckon it would take a week, picker is slow as ****, week easy. That is £750 right there.

Oops didn't mean to post.... access issues and I may need to stand a fair bit back from building if that makes sense?

It does yeah, have a google and find big pole prices, I have no idea, I can do 3 stories, 5 can't be "that" much?

Back