Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Warning About Gleaming Liability Insurance

WCF

Help Support WCF:

We have been insured through Gleaming Insurance for a number of years mainly because of 1 job that we did that had large curved panels of single pane glass, the replacement cost of one being many thousands of pounds. Our policy runs out on Feb 25th and last week when working away got the notification and new renewal quote. So today I checked it and saw it had gone up by 16+%. Thought this was a bit much so emailed them saying so and asked them to have a look at it. The reply back wasn't exactly encouraging so I did a quick internet search and found one for £210, £5m public and £10m employers liability cover. I then thought for the extra £270 probably not worth my while paying for the extra cover, insured for the glass we are working on. Informed Gleaming of this and was told the Insurance Policy is continuous and that I have to give them 30 days notice so I'm probably going to be stung for a weeks premium.

They have since emailed, when I asked when and where they had informed me of this, that they will waive the notice period "as a gesture of goodwill"
Sorry to hear this. I challenged them a few years back on a price increase. I was less than impressed with the response so left them for several years as I found the same cover at a cheaper price accompanied with better customer service. I'm back with them now as they became competitive again. Obviously the customer service is still a bit lacking.

Sorry to hear this. I challenged them a few years back on a price increase. I was less than impressed with the response so left them for several years as I found the same cover at a cheaper price accompanied with better customer service. I'm back with them now as they became competitive again. Obviously the customer service is still a bit lacking.
Very strange service this year, when I asked them to look at the quote and comeback to me the reply was Hiscox Liability rates have gone up. What is even more strange is this last reply when I said the initial email asked me to login and "START COVER" so how can it be called continuous?

"Thanks for your email and we will keep the policy live for now as requested and this will run through to the date you have last paid up to (25.02.2023)

The system relates to the payment of the premium, rather than the policy itself. The continuous policy (and any policy) would always be cancelled if the premium is not paid.

You can choose to email us to confirm cancellation on 25.02.2023 or simply not make the payment and in either case the cover will cease on 25.02.2023 as you have requested"

I think I had insurance with them but there wasn't a number to call, alot of companies are taking that option away now and you have to email instead. Not being able to speak to them only benifits them.

We have been insured through Gleaming Insurance for a number of years mainly because of 1 job that we did that had large curved panels of single pane glass, the replacement cost of one being many thousands of pounds. Our policy runs out on Feb 25th and last week when working away got the notification and new renewal quote. So today I checked it and saw it had gone up by 16+%. Thought this was a bit much so emailed them saying so and asked them to have a look at it. The reply back wasn't exactly encouraging so I did a quick internet search and found one for £210, £5m public and £10m employers liability cover. I then thought for the extra £270 probably not worth my while paying for the extra cover, insured for the glass we are working on. Informed Gleaming of this and was told the Insurance Policy is continuous and that I have to give them 30 days notice so I'm probably going to be stung for a weeks premium.
I have my public liability , vans and employers liability all through Alexander swan , back in December I altered my insurance to cover the item worked on as we now have a lot of jobs with huge 5-8 meter doors and talking to one customer said the pain of glass alone was over 3:5 k we weren’t covered for this before the excess is £100 and the premium is cheaper than gleaming , I contacted gleaming but they don't have a phone line to ask questions the guy emailed me and said to email any questions it wasn’t that easy to put into
an email and explaine the situation I said can I phone and speak to someone answer was no , so took my business else ware , if they are that unhelpful when trying to sell you a policy what on earth would they be like if you tried to make a claim , Alexander swan you can pick up the phone and speak to someone straight away there premium was also a fair bit cheaper which I was surprised at as well .

I have my public liability , vans and employers liability all through Alexander swan , back in December I altered my insurance to cover the item worked on as we now have a lot of jobs with huge 5-8 meter doors and talking to one customer said the pain of glass alone was over 3:5 k we weren’t covered for this before the excess is £100 and the premium is cheaper than gleaming , I contacted gleaming but they don't have a phone line to ask questions the guy emailed me and said to email any questions it wasn’t that easy to put into
an email and explaine the situation I said can I phone and speak to someone answer was no , so took my business else ware , if they are that unhelpful when trying to sell you a policy what on earth would they be like if you tried to make a claim , Alexander swan you can pick up the phone and speak to someone straight away there premium was also a fair bit cheaper which I was surprised at as well .
Whenever I have asked for a quote from these, be it van or liability insurance, they are always significantly more expensive than Gleaming or A-Plan. We only really do bog standard windows nowadays so don't need the "working on" insurance.

Whenever I have asked for a quote from these, be it van or liability insurance, they are always significantly more expensive than Gleaming or A-Plan. We only really do bog standard windows nowadays so don't need the "working on" insurance.
Yes I know quite a few say they are expensive I have always found them ok on price and I do shop around to check as well

I don’t think they can say it’s continouous as they have to offer a cooling off period evan if you tick the auto renew box , providing it’s not gone past the renewal date .

Have just renewed my van insurance with Alexandra Swan pleasantly surprised it’s £50 cheaper then last year they had found a cheaper company still the same cover. House insurance with them as well covers the water tank in the garage if anything leaks

Good to know I was meant to switch and sack off Gleaming as my renewal has gone up by around £20 or so I have never had a claim in over 20 years, I've got around 20 days left on my current policy they'll be getting sacked off today

I know this thread is a couple of months old, but I also have Hiscox insurance for worked on glass cover. I'm in the same boat. We also don't have the 2 customers with large pains of glass any more that would cost thousands to replace, so I will also cancel this cover before it expires. Thanks for the 30 day notice to cancel advice.

Latest Posts

Back