Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Ro system in garage or van

Greener

Hi all, this is my first post in the forum so thanks for looking /emoticons/smile.png. I am currently working for someone with a brodex van mounted RO system, but am looking to start my very own WFP cleaning business by the end off Jan next year. Currently I'm looking into all available options available regarding converting tap water to pure water. Now I know I can find lots of van mounted system, but a massive part of me would like to have some form of system located in my garage that converts the water and is then fed into the van, i just feel it would offer more security, less weight in the van, more protection for the system in the garage compared to the van etc ect. Presumably its as simple as making the water and directly transferring it to a tank/pump set up in the van?????? I would love to hear all your thoughts and recommendations please.

Cheers Greener :thumbsup:

Welcome @Greener. Here's what I do. My TDS is very low, I have tested the water and it's been 029PPM before now. I run twin DI vessels (it's coming out at 003PPM ATM). When the TDS gets to 005/007 I will change the resin in the vessel nearest the tap and swap them over. The oldest resin will still be doing a job by bringing my tap water TDS down a bit before it hits the new resin, this will preserve the new resin a bit longer. I fill the tank directly from the vessels which are in my garage. I judge how long it will take to fill the tank on a trickle and set a timer to remind me the water is on.

Welcome @Greener. Here's what I do. My TDS is very low, I have tested the water and it's been 029PPM before now. I run twin DI vessels (it's coming out at 003PPM ATM). When the TDS gets to 005/007 I will change the resin in the vessel nearest the tap and swap them over. The oldest resin will still be doing a job by bringing my tap water TDS down a bit before it hits the new resin, this will preserve the new resin a bit longer. I fill the tank directly from the vessels which are in my garage. I judge how long it will take to fill the tank on a trickle and set a timer to remind me the water is on.
Thanks for the info Tuffers sounds so simple. I presume the vessels/tank are simply connected to each other i.e Tap-vessel-vessel-tank? What size tank do you work with and how often do you change the resins in the vessels? Cheers bud.

Welcome matey.:thumbsup: You gotta love that Koppaberg. Had many a good summer camping trip on that stuff. But when the weather gets cold I'm on the rum.

Thanks for the info Tuffers sounds so simple. I presume the vessels/tank are simply connected to each other i.e Tap-vessel-vessel-tank? What size tank do you work with and how often do you change the resins in the vessels? Cheers bud.

Yeah, tap to first vessel, 4" of garden hose pipe connects to the 2nd vessel, connected with hozelock fittings and a long piece of garden hose then flops in the tank. It's a 500L tank and I change the resin every 6 weeks ish. This last batch of Tulsion MB-115 I bought has lasted really well. I bought it from an aquatics site, it's also the cheapest I've found :thumbsup:

Yes I thought that might be the case :gush:. I was thinking something like this FACELIFT ZERO ONE system?? But I'm not sure if this sort of thing is really any good? I've heard mermerings about people making water in the garage and just running with a tank set up in the vehicle, but not sure where to start?? Its not cost saving excersise I just really like the idea of the system being contained within the garage??? [delusional]

View attachment 3128

That looks handy enough to me as the 4021 seems to be getting a popular size ro membrane now. Being on a stand as well you also have the option have it secured in your van when required too. That could be a big plus when on large jobs so can make pure onsite just by connecting it to an outside tap filling the tank with pure as you use it.

Hi Smurf, thanks for you reply :thumbs: where did you get the info ref the 4021 RO membrane, I can't see it on description?

I was going to link Alex's EZ r/o system to this thread but he doesn't have them on his site - only the Merlin.

I'm confused????

Something like this mounted onto the side of an second hand IBC tank works fine.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-The-Little-Genie-Static-20-RO-DI-Pro-system-WINDOW-CLEANING-/181370624983?pt=UK_HomeGarden_CLV_Cleaning_CA&hash=item2a3a881bd7

or

http://www.purefreedom.co.uk/2400-gpd-high-volume-ro-system-cw-auto-shut-off-1000ltr-tank-p-666.html?page=all

You will need a submersible pump and hose to transfer the water to your van.

That's great thanks Spruce :thumbsup: decisions, decisions LOL. Can I ask if any of you guys use a static system to produce your water or are you van mounted?

That's great thanks Spruce :thumbsup: decisions, decisions LOL. Can I ask if any of you guys use a static system to produce your water or are you van mounted?
We have a static system in the garage feed by a 4040 r/o. We have this setup as there are 3 of us that use the water the system produces.

Initially we processed water directly onto a trailer setup, but it wasn't very successful. We upgraded the RoMan type r/o from a 225 GPD to a 450GPD and started to process water into an IBC tank in the garage about 8 years ago. This did the 2 of us 6 years, but when we got an additional cleaner, the system couldn't keep up.

The system in automatically switches on when water has been drawn and switches off when the IBC is full.

If someone takes water mid day the system will be full when I get home in the evening. Its nice not having to worry if we have enough water to go around anymore.

Back