Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Starting from scratch

baduck

Hi guys,

I'm sure this has been asked many times but can't see a thread so feel free to point me that way if there is one.

I currently work full time and am thinking of a change of career and after speaking to one of my customers today am considering window cleaning as a possibility given there doesn't seems to be anyone covering the area.

In terms of starting up, i wouldn't be able to just drop work and give it a go due to mortgage etc so how possible is it to start doing it just at the weekends to see how it goes and then build from there? Has anyone done this before and have an tips? Not looking to buy a round at this stage so really would be starting from scratch and really wondering at what point would you have enough customers to think im going to quit my job and do this full time in the week.

Also where is the best place to look @ equipment, technique etc in other words the basics.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Ross

Hi ross, I'm getting into this area of work too, best for info is this forum and you tube videos like wagga, Christopher dawber I think his real name is.

Need to decide trad or water fed pole. Pole is easier to do without a technique or ladder, but pole cost a lot to start up and is kit and equipment led. Trad is advised to begin as it costs less to start, but will require a ladder.

I was in exactly the same situation to you 3 years ago.

I started with 2000 flyers and got them all out in 1 weekend. I got 20 customers from it and started cleaning on the weekends. Its a hard way to start but the only way in our situation. after work I would come home, grab a quick bite and be out within 10 minutes to go delivering for 3 to 4 days a week for 2 hours a night. (Winter is the best time) I did that for 6 months and cleaned on the weekends.

After a year I went part time at work and cleaned Fridays and saterdays and kept up the card dropping for a few more months.

I also went waterfed pole after 6 months via a backpack and then a van system I build myself and when the backpack died I just chucked it and now only use the van mount.

Its been a hard slog and my marriage nearly died because I was working 7 days a week for 7 months but I was determined not to give up....

Now I am self employed and work from 9 to 3 or whatever I want...

Prepare yourself for a lot of hard work. A lot of walking & a lot of setbacks. But there is always light at the end of the tunnel & it is rewarding when you get there but don't happen overnight.

Trad is cheaper to get you going. I started trad & have kept to trad for my own reasons but use a backpack pure water for hard to get windows.

If you look through the forum there are many of your questions answered as we all had to start somewhere. Remember the weather plays a part. Great in the summer but can be a nightmare in the winter as it is now.

Sorry to maybe be glum but a lot of people ferget all this when they start & think its "only cleaning windows"

There's a lot more to it & a lot of hard work & hours to get it off the ground.

wise words posh,i started part time over eight years ago working saturdays and sundays-my then customers knew i was part time and understood that i had to work weekends-they were very supportive of me,over four years ago i was offered a round from a guy retiring,it was equal in value to my wage so i went for it,it was very hard work and still is and it won't come overnight,but the benifits outway this i'd never go back to a normal proper job again.

start trad first as its a valuble thing to learn and cheap to start so its not a big hit if its not for you,the window cleaning is basicly a service you offer learning customers,advertising and service is all part of running a business and is something you might want to read about aswell if you want to have a smooth start-good luck

you wont give it your all while you have a day job propping you up . but if you give it your full attention you will reap the rewards

I couldnt imagine giving up a job for window cleaning without having a small base of customers at the very least, or buying a round. Working weekends is a good idea as it keeps a bit of money coming in while you find customers. Dropping leaflets is no fun as its unpaid, and it always seems that the more desperate you are for the work, the less you get.

I started full time in November. Christmas has been tight. But when you have no other work commitments, you can canvass all the time. This has really paid off. 2015 will be good. Good luck amigo!!

Hi ross, I'm getting into this area of work too, best for info is this forum and you tube videos like wagga, Christopher dawber I think his real name is.
Need to decide trad or water fed pole. Pole is easier to do without a technique or ladder, but pole cost a lot to start up and is kit and equipment led. Trad is advised to begin as it costs less to start, but will require a ladder.
You can't just point a pole at the window and hope. There has to be correct technique, and you can get it very wrong with terrible results.

Yes I shoukdnt have wrote that :-( Any link to a good introductory video or something explaining what can go wrong for us new comers?

Hi m8, like already said first job is get some doors knocked , dont be complacent thinking they isn't a window cleaner in your area because believe me there is possibly lots, start traditional as in my opinion this a must learn , clean family and freinds windows so you know what your doing when you arrive at your first house , good luck m8 think positive and take the set backs on the chin and learn from them

i did my first paid clean on sunday 2nd march last year. Thinking i would give it 6 months maybe a year before i went full time. After a month i jacked and went for it. iv never looked back, im not saying its been easy. But it is getting easier. It was deffinatly a good move.

If you put the effort in you will see the rewards

I started back up last summer after 8 years of just doing a handful of old regular customers i had for years (around a couple hundred quid a month)

Then decided after 23 years of doing it and other jobs i had reached the point that i wanted to put all the money in my pocket and not a bosses

Took part time driving iob and worked round it

5 months later i had built a good round and am 100% self employed now

Do it mate if that is what you want but is bloody hard while working full time

Hi guys,
I'm sure this has been asked many times but can't see a thread so feel free to point me that way if there is one.

I currently work full time and am thinking of a change of career and after speaking to one of my customers today am considering window cleaning as a possibility given there doesn't seems to be anyone covering the area.

In terms of starting up, i wouldn't be able to just drop work and give it a go due to mortgage etc so how possible is it to start doing it just at the weekends to see how it goes and then build from there? Has anyone done this before and have an tips? Not looking to buy a round at this stage so really would be starting from scratch and really wondering at what point would you have enough customers to think im going to quit my job and do this full time in the week.

Also where is the best place to look @ equipment, technique etc in other words the basics.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Ross
Def learn traditional first

I would not agree about WFP being easier- it's actually easier to balls up with WFP

I have always bought and sold rounds - then do a bit of canvassing near where you bought

Then sell on when a better round comes up for sale

I have done that over ten years and I have now got a great customer base

And I have found how you speak to the customer is more important than how clean the windows are

Back