Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Car mount system

WCF

Help Support WCF:

slippy

View attachment 7558

This is my attempt to run a reel from my car. Tried it yesterday The reel is secured on a board and the pump (in blue box) is placed next to the car. I closed (but didn't lock boot.

It was quicker than using a trolley and was better on my injured shoulder, however, the connector on the inside of the reel came off, why? this meant lots of water poured into the boot. I tried to pump most of it out and mop rest up. It seems like the two areas where water can leak are from the reel connectors and also the pump (where hose comes out), should I place both on the pavement? Even though I put tarpaulin underneath everything, and it definitely was much better than having nothing but because so much water leaked out some got through to the carpet in boot, is there a better way to waterproof underneath?

Finally, I put a hose taped to a piece of garden cane to keep the hose sucking right from the bottom of barrel, is there a better way?

View attachment 7555

View attachment 7556

View attachment 7557

For the hose into the barrel you want a hole in the top of one lid, thread the hose through lid and then a piece of plastic tubing the length of the barrel for the hose to thread down to the bottom of the barrel. put a none return valve on the end of the hose.

It looks like you dont have any o clips on the ends of your hose going to connections, that would be why its all leaking.

you should be able to keep the pump box in the car, no need to have it outside really.

You could also find water has leaked into the floor cavity under the back seats and the seats will be full of water. There is a rubber inspection cap on the driver's side to access the pump in the fuel tank, but I don't think there is anything on the other side. The passenger foot wells will also fill with water.

You need to dry that car out asap or it will stink of damp.

-

Maybe try and put everything in a large shallow tray? Cut the bottom couple of inches off an ibc maybe?

For the hose into the barrel you want a hole in the top of one lid, thread the hose through lid and then a piece of plastic tubing the length of the barrel for the hose to thread down to the bottom of the barrel. put a none return valve on the end of the hose.It looks like you dont have any o clips on the ends of your hose going to connections, that would be why its all leaking.

you should be able to keep the pump box in the car, no need to have it outside really.
Do you mean o ring (or would a jubilee clip do?) on the connector inside the reel? You mean put the o ring just before the hozelock connector?

Will try and find some plastic pipe which is hollow through the middle so can get my (estimated 10mm) hose through it.

But surely it would be just so much easier to just put the reel and battery/pump on the pavement until I get all the connectors sorted. Another question, I can shut the boot door, but it isn't locked but there's no way to run hoses in and out of boot without keeping it unlocked , is there? Just don't keep valuables in car I guess!

Also, how much damage does pure water do to metal in vehicles if it works its way through to it? I heard it's like acid!

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe try and put everything in a large shallow tray? Cut the bottom couple of inches off an ibc maybe?
How much are second hand IBC tanks. The passenger seats don't fold down enough to be perfectly flat like the boot, but I guess it doesn't matter does it. Are the IBC strong enough to not crack if barrels fall over or whatever?

How much are second hand IBC tanks. The passenger seats don't fold down enough to be perfectly flat like the boot, but I guess it doesn't matter does it. Are the IBC strong enough to not crack if barrels fall over or whatever?
You wanna shove an IBC tank in your car now!?:eek:

Sorry, but I can't stop giggling /emoticons/biggrin.png

I was thinking along the same lines. I see you have everything on a board. Could you screw and glue some 2x2 round the edge of the board to make a tray that fits the back of your car. Paint it with a waterproof coating. I would use several coats and choose something that dries flexible if you can for obvious reasons. I would leave the tarpaulin under it as a second line of defense against water leakage. Must admit I've had barrels fall over in my car and leak all over and it's never got under the tarp as long as I've turned the sides up. I also replace it every few months in case it splits through wear n tear.

I was thinking along the same lines. I see you have everything on a board. Could you screw and glue some 2x2 round the edge of the board to make a tray that fits the back of your car. Paint it with a waterproof coating. I would use several coats and choose something that dries flexible if you can for obvious reasons. I would leave the tarpaulin under it as a second line of defense against water leakage. Must admit I've had barrels fall over in my car and leak all over and it's never got under the tarp as long as I've turned the sides up. I also replace it every few months in case it splits through wear n tear.
Actually that board was just for the reel and two barrels either side to hold it down, it's quite small, but as you suggest could get a bigger board and glue and screw 2 by 2 all around it (use ply) then put silicon around the join and then paint it. Be on a bit of a slope as back seats aren't totally flat, but that doesn't matter.

Do you mean o ring (or would a jubilee clip do?) on the connector inside the reel? You mean put the o ring just before the hozelock connector?Will try and find some plastic pipe which is hollow through the middle so can get my (estimated 10mm) hose through it.

But surely it would be just so much easier to just put the reel and battery/pump on the pavement until I get all the connectors sorted. Another question, I can shut the boot door, but it isn't locked but there's no way to run hoses in and out of boot without keeping it unlocked , is there? Just don't keep valuables in car I guess!

Also, how much damage does pure water do to metal in vehicles if it works its way through to it? I heard it's like acid!
Yes, you need 0 clips or jubilee clips on all your connections to stop leaks. I have never had much luck with them screw things that go on the back of the orange aqua/hoselok fittings , so i usually leave them off and fit an o clip.

Yes pure water is like alien blood :eek: No, pure water is the same as any water on metal....very corrosive.

You deffinitely need some kind of tray under it all like the other guys have said.

Like steve garwood said, it would be better to get a van but if this is how you have to work, I would have everything in the boot and rig something up so the boot opens just enough for the hose to reel out.

As others have suggested, a small van sounds like a better option for you. However, if you can't get a van for whatever reason there probably will be a work around. You just have to find it through trial and error. I have made a solid living from my car for eight years, though I work with a Trolley. There are many reasons why a small van would suit my business especially as we have a family car as well. One of my poles is worth more than my car, but it's clean and tidy and to date has been a solidly reliable vehicle. I will probably run it into the ground.

Your challenge is getting the water out of your car without it leaking or being able to manage any leaking, and to find a means to contain any spillage. I stand to be corrected here, but l would count on some leakage from almost any reel. So the question is, can it be managed and how? Your hose connections need attention by the sounds of things as well. Another suggestion might be to stuff something removable and absorbent under the reel when using it to stop water from spreading around.

Or try and 'hang' the reel from something so you can slide a plastic storage box underneath the reel to catch the drips.

I have both my reels this way, works a treat

As others have suggested, a small van sounds like a better option for you. However, if you can't get a van for whatever reason there probably will be a work around. You just have to find it through trial and error. I have made a solid living from my car for eight years, though I work with a Trolley. There are many reasons why a small van would suit my business especially as we have a family car as well. One of my poles is worth more than my car, but it's clean and tidy and to date has been a solidly reliable vehicle. I will probably run it into the ground.
Your challenge is getting the water out of your car without it leaking or being able to manage any leaking, and to find a means to contain any spillage. I stand to be corrected here, but l would count on some leakage from almost any reel. So the question is, can it be managed and how? Your hose connections need attention by the sounds of things as well. Another suggestion might be to stuff something removable and absorbent under the reel when using it to stop water from spreading around.

How about this-

Large, Shallow, Flexi Tray - Direct365 Supplies

I got one two similar to this think these would work (bit small maybe)-

Faulks Shallow Tubtrugs Large

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks good as long as the edges don't get flattened by heavy barrels etc. But there are ways round that as well. Ie: chocks of 2x2 spaced around the back of the vehicle to support the weigh of the barrels etc. Where there's a will there's a way!

I respect really your efforts, but as others said I think you would be happier with a van , also the benefit of a protecting wall from all the jugs of water ,looks kinda dangerous to me ..

When this car goes I will scrap it and get a van. When I drive off with 7 25 litre barrels I go pretty carefully. then as the weight goes down through day speed up. Surely, a 25 litre barrel would hit back of drivers seat first. It's not a huge water tank. It's not like I am driving at 70mph as well. You still think this is really dangerous?

I know we're talking in the unlikely event etc, but you do need to consider it. One 25ltr barrel weighs in at 25kgs (55lbs). I don't know the math but I know that the harder an impact the more that 25kgs is magnified when it collides with the back of your chair, and you have 7x that in your car. That's why we have the seat-belt laws. Only you know your route and any risks you may encounter. But I would give it careful consideration. You haven't wasted your money on your kit as it would all fit in a small van.

I drive a Nissan Primera 'T' reg (99) saloon so six of my barrels plus my trolley are in the boot behind the rear seat bulkhead and the seventh barrel is in the front passenger foot-well and it gets used first. I could fit 9 barrels in the boot if I used a pump Box and external reel, but I don't think the suspension would last long. It's done me proud for eight and a half years. Six of those it was our family car as well.

It's not like I am driving at 70mph as well. You still think this is really dangerous?
Unfortunately, yes. It would be a really good idea to secure the barrels very well.

In a 30mph crash, unsecured objects are thrown forwards with an effective weight of between 30 and 60 times their own weight, so a 25kg barrel might as well weigh a MINIMUM of three quarters of a tonne and possibly up to 1.5 tonnes.

Also bare in mind that although they might well hit the back of your seat first, which will take some of the impact for you, you can't guarantee that they will, because you don't know the exact direction of any potential future impact.

Ok. will certainly consider it, but can't have everything in life.

It could be that all the barrels are in the boot with rear passenger seat locked in- that then gives two barriers (rear and drivers seats)between myself and the barrels- the reel and battery- (less heavy so would go on the back seat). I will consider this, but not sure if the space will permit it to work.

Surely this is safer than putting a 175 litre water tank in the back?

How would you secure the barrels- ratchet straps and what to?

I am also only doing this really one day a week at the moment.

My trolley fits in the foot well of front passenger seat. it's a micro trolley. Normally put two barrels on the front passenger seat as well.

Back