Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

RAMS

Grumpaflump

Good Morning Guys and Girls

I have always supplied a Risk Assessment with every job including domestic.

I was talking to a Rams officer in the pub and she says that I only need to provide RAMS

for a commercial contract.

Is she right? or is she trying to hook me as a client?

Thoughts would be appreciated. /emoticons/smile.png

Now I could be wrong here (doubtful) but as I understand it there is no legal NEED to provide a RAMS at all, it is just good business practice.

That way when some idiot from their firm has an accident caused by doing something you outlined they shouldnt donin your RAMS then your backside is covered.

As for residential I have never given a RAMS in 10 years. Never been asked either.

It started off as just good practice. Same as PAT testing - not a legal requirement but it's the easiest system to prove that electrical equipment is well maintained and safe to use. But if you are an employer - with over 5 employees - or self employed it is a legal requirement that you have to make an assessment of the health and safety risks arising out of your/their work, the purpose of the assessment is to identify what needs to be done to control the risks. Our local council - who I work for - specify RAMS for every contractor on site as well as a specific hazard exchange form which is completed every visit - whether it's a gardener or a plumber. It documents that reasonable consideration has been taken to ensure you will complete your task and have a pre planned safe system of work. The HSE site also specifies you only have to 'record' the assessment if you have 5 or more employees. I have RAMS for every activity I complete, so one for window cleaning with pole, one for trad with and without ladders, gutter cleaning, accessing flat roofs etc. I don't do commercial and have never provided this information to anyone. I just have proof that I have a safe system of work if something goes t1ts up and someone wants to sue me - oh and the 5m public liability!

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

In my current line of business we have to submit RAMS for most of our operations where we are working for commercial / industrial clients. We wouldn't normally have to do RAMS for small business's or residential private work. RAMS don't mean anything legally unless they have been submitted to your client and they have approved them and signed them off , its then deemed that they have agreed / approved your method of work and the precautions you have noted therin.

Back