Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Start Canvassing Tomorrow!

vespawho

Well my first lot of cards came today and my box of goodies!!

I had a lot of my old kit from years ago, but ordered new scrims, pouch and rubbers.

Got a lead from a friend today about a windy being sacked today, so i shall be starting down that road!

Fingers crossed!!

Also need to sort out some flyers.

I know its no picnic, remember doing it years ago. But everyone says, best way to get customers. Just plod on and see what

come up.

When u go out canvassing and if u only pick up 1 customer,,, thats very good cos they all add up

its soul destroying thats why i wont ever do it again, i did it last year and got no, got one, i do my own. also got chased by a dog lol. what i norm do now is drive about and look for new homes being built and put leaflets in there doors, even if no one lives there yet they may get the flier. its like a new car, u wash it all the time and i think its the same with a house, ppl want there windows cleaned coz they just spent out serious money. my theory may be wrong tho but i like it. not gained any work tho from this idea lol

Go for it! Canvas like crazy. Keep a note of anyone that's not in and go back. And even if they say no, ask if you can leave a flyer in case they change their mind ... especially if you're speaking to a man. The number of times I had men say to me, "Oh no, we're not bothered" and then five minutes later his wife comes running down the street trying to find me saying "I'm glad I didn't miss you, I've been waiting for a window cleaner for months, my husband hasn't got a clue!" If you leave your flyer, they can still call you even if they do miss you!

Once you establish a round in an area, after six months canvas them all again, even if they said no the last time. They've probably seen you coming every month, they've probably forgotten it was even you that they said no to the last time, they just know that you're regular and reliable, and so they might have changed their mind by now. Or you might just meet a different person answering the door this time, like in the husband/wife scenario, and this one might say yes.

ive lost hope to be honest, cant be arsed with walking about in gale force winds to get a no. i rather put an add in the local advertiser and get more work that way from now on. i was doubtful when i started it but had to see what all the hype was about. not much by the sounds of it. im not a sheep so i wont follow the rest.

Good on you for trying buddy some areas will not respond to door to door it could well be your trying the wrong streets especially if the windows are dirty may be they ain't too bothered for windies knocking maybe give another area a go we all have unlucky days in everything we do it is your cheapest form of advertising try shop window cards window cleaner for hire and tel see what response you get the paper ads need to be big to be spotted or they get buried in the services section big is dear and soul destroying if no responses church mags as been mentioned before free papers supermarkets markets anywhere that's cheap mate then once you've covered everywhere knock again the name might be trusted then

Go for it! Canvas like crazy. Keep a note of anyone that's not in and go back. And even if they say no, ask if you can leave a flyer in case they change their mind ... especially if you're speaking to a man. The number of times I had men say to me, "Oh no, we're not bothered" and then five minutes later his wife comes running down the street trying to find me saying "I'm glad I didn't miss you, I've been waiting for a window cleaner for months, my husband hasn't got a clue!" If you leave your flyer, they can still call you even if they do miss you!
Once you establish a round in an area, after six months canvas them all again, even if they said no the last time. They've probably seen you coming every month, they've probably forgotten it was even you that they said no to the last time, they just know that you're regular and reliable, and so they might have changed their mind by now. Or you might just meet a different person answering the door this time, like in the husband/wife scenario, and this one might say yes.
so your a windowcleaner aswell mate ? /emoticons/smile.png

cant beat canvassing.... its the way forward u just gotta work for it though /emoticons/smile.png

In this game the rewards are there to be had, but you have to put in a lot of effort to make it work when you are starting out.

In my experience,canvassing is the quickest way to find customers. It may sound daunting, and it can feel that way, but if you approach it in a positive way, it won't feel so bad.

For every door you knock, you will have just the one chance to give a good impression. Therefore, you will need to be presentable, polite, professional, and positive, but not pushy. Stand back from the door, or outside the porch if there is one, and smile when you greet the householder.

I always try to treat every door I knock as if it is the first, so if I have had a hundred rejections, this does not come across to the householder that I am struggling. Remember too, that for every 'no' that you get you are closer to the next 'yes'.

Best wishes,

John

go for it its hard work but hopefully pick one up per hour you knock thats what i normally manage thats between 2 of us though

so your a windowcleaner aswell mate ? /emoticons/smile.png
I used to be, and most of my mates are, and I still help them out with canvassing or catching up when the weather's put them behind with the work. Most of the web design and printing work I do now is for window cleaners!

went out again today dressed smart and knocked just 30 homes today, all were in this time. 12pm i knocked. got 1 gimme a business card the rest were no thank you. maybe i shud knock wearing say a chicken costume and add a bit of character to the experience /emoticons/biggrin.png

Back