Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Broken Double Glazing?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

vito61

Hi All

I've just had a customer ask me to only use traditional from now on. His complaint is that an inner piece of glass has shattered (toughened glass, sealed unit). I only ever do the outside. The manufacturer, lets call them Angle-iron Windows, has pointed finger at my good self. I cannot work out how this could have happened. Can wfp system cause this? I did not wack the window at any time. :huh:

Absolutely did not hit it. Customer not particularly blaming me. As he said to me "seed of doubt planted by d/g company" who btw, want something like £850 (!!!!!) to replace sealed unit approx 750mm x 750mm.

I would try and get a second opinion from another friendly DD company,I would think the outside glass would have damage if it was a clout from a WFP brush.More likely a faulty unit or broken from the inside.Sounds very fishy to me.

Thanks for your kind words everybody. It confirms my initial thinking. Darn those pesky scallywags and bounders at Angle-iron windows! I'll show them!

Your insurance company would probably not pay out as they would rule you were not at fault,and if they dont like the method of cleaning they should find a different window cleaner.I would think cleaning trad would put more pressure on the glass than cleaning with a pole and brush.I think what Paulie18 has said is a fair comment

Sound well dodgy and physics would tell you its impossible to smash the inside pane without first breaking the ouside pane when it is hit from the outside as the force created from the momentum x mass of the wfp hitting the window would first half to travel through the outside pane, the energy from this hit would be at its greatest whislt hitting the outside pane where by the energy would be dissipated through out the outside pain thus less energy would be transferred to the inside pane long story short, you can smash the inside pain from the outside without damaging the outside pane to a higher degree
My dear colinvansmith

Your eloquent attempt at explaining my predicament in a scientific way has, I'm afraid, confused me slightly. Am I to understand that you CAN smash the inner pane (ref last sentence) or was it a typo, should read CAN'T smash...etc. It was late when you sent it /emoticons/smile.png

Thanks for your input and comments. I think I can formulate a reply to the customer.

G

I called to see the customer today. He's had the window replaced by a local glazier at an all in cost of approx £130.

Glazier supplied him with a fact sheet he'd prepared 2002 "Why does a sealed unit break for no reason". It made quite interesting reading. I am absolutely confident that I wasn't to blame and that it is probably just 'one of those things'.

Customer doesn't want me to use pole system anymore, sadly, in these particular circumstances I don't feel I can continue to use traditional at his house. It would always be a source of 'PANE' to me! That and the fact I don't want to climb on his roof any longer, part of the reason for wfp in 1st place. So we have parted, with a handshake.

Thanks for all your comments

Sorry to resurrect an old topic...

I had a phone call from my wife dearest, panicking over some broken glass at home. Finished job etc, got back to discover the inner pane on a Velux window had just broken/smashed and dropped to the floor. Now this window is set right in the roof in a tunnel type of thing where our old chimney used to go. Nearly impossible to reach without long steps or ladder. Nobody upstairs or anywhere near it at the time.

The outer pane is fine. At the moment I've done a temporary repair of some clear,sticky back plastic (Blue Peter esq) which is seeming to hold remainder in place.

Isn't that fascinating?

Latest Posts

Back