Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Electric Reels

WCF

Help Support WCF:

I've been looking at the power up reel but it's a lot of money for what it actually is, wouldn't be so bad if the price included the reel.

You could build one for a fraction of the price.

The amount of bmx chains and sprockets I've got in my garage, just need to source a motor

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

I wonder if a windscreen wiper motor will be man enough for the job

8546ecee1d85c0b76ecf7affc7b79512.jpg

I wonder if a windscreen wiper motor will be man enough for the job
8546ecee1d85c0b76ecf7affc7b79512.jpg

The main reason why a bog standard electric motor is used is that it has no gearing. A windscreen wiper isn't very powerful - it relies on gearing to make up for that.

The bevel gear inside reduces the speed by quite a bit so you would need a fairly large drive gear to get the speed back up again if you were going to use a chain to drive it. Doing that would compromise the gearing and the power of the motor lost.

In days gone by wiper motors had steel bevel gears. The last one I saw open had plastic gears that were just cogs. I doubt that would last.

But that's just my opinion and not based on any experience.

What about a small starter motor. It won't draw the amps it would when starting an engine and if you could incorporate the solenoid and bendix gear that would help when pulling the hose out as the motor would be disconnected. The starter motor on my Suzuki 1.3 Carry van wasn't very big as I recall.

I don't know how an electric start works on bigger motor cycles, but they must have a clutch arrangement that disconnects once the engine starts.

What about a small electric winch designed for ATV's. They can have planet gearing with a disconnect lever.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had the Power Up mounted on a clover reel. It was OK.
Now I have the power up HD the past 12 months. Would not be without it.

£400 is nothing for how easy this reel makes your day.
Out of interest green how much time would you say you can save on a average day?

I know there's lots of variables of course, how many setups amount of houses your cleaning per day etc.

Reason I ask I'm currently fitting a new van out ( 1 man system ) and defiantly looking at the power up hd.

The main reason why a bog standard electric motor is used is that it has no gearing. A windscreen wiper isn't very powerful - it relies on gearing to make up for that.
The bevel gear inside reduces the speed by quite a bit so you would need a fairly large drive gear to get the speed back up again if you were going to use a chain to drive it. Doing that would compromise the gearing and the power of the motor lost.

In days gone by wiper motors had steel bevel gears. The last one I saw open had plastic gears that were just cogs. I doubt that would last.

But that's just my opinion and not based on any experience.

What about a small starter motor. It won't draw the amps it would when starting an engine and if you could incorporate the solenoid and bendix gear that would help when pulling the hose out as the motor would be disconnected. The starter motor on my Suzuki 1.3 Carry van wasn't very big as I recall.

I don't know how an electric start works on bigger motor cycles, but they must have a clutch arrangement that disconnects once the engine starts.

What about a small electric winch designed for ATV's. They can have planet gearing with a disconnect lever.

Interesting, I didn't think about the fact the gears are probably plastic.

I wonder what the motor is they use in these reels, they look nice and compact,

Gonna have to have a dig around in the garage, I should have two starter motors from a zx400

Out of interest green how much time would you say you can save on a average day?I know there's lots of variables of course, how many setups amount of houses your cleaning per day etc.

Reason I ask I'm currently fitting a new van out ( 1 man system ) and defiantly looking at the power up hd.

I have 2 HD power reels fixed in my WFP van set up and do between 55 an 65 properties per day between 8.15am an 3pm. I would highly recommend that you invest in one for your one man set up, honesty you will never look back pal.

I've only just started window cleaning, however I recently purchased a van which included two HD power up reels (however I only need one, so if anyone is interested in the other one msg me) and have to say I've found it great. Because I'm not used to the physical side of things yet its great to be able to reel in at the push of a button rather than reel in manually.

Just got my hd reel from waterworks today, not sure if there's something wrong with it though, it move freely by hand for about 3/4 of the way round but then tightens up a little, no hose on it just straight out of the box. When plug it in to van battery was very noisy and the motor was jumping around for a couple of turns.

Just got my hd reel from waterworks today, not sure if there's something wrong with it though, it move freely by hand for about 3/4 of the way round but then tightens up a little, no hose on it just straight out of the box. When plug it in to van battery was very noisy and the motor was jumping around for a couple of turns.
its hard to explain in writing but i think its a simple alignment issue mate,look down from the biggest sprocket-on the reel to the smaller one on the motor,they should be perfectly straight,if not the motor will need adjusting,one of the easiest ways without getting technichal is to loosen the bolts that hold the motor and rotate the reel a few turns-this should move the motor into an alignment with the top sprocket,tighten up the motor and test again and keep going until you get it perfect,the housing (white bit)moves forward for chain tension which to be honest should all be done when it left jordan,but i think you may have bought it from wcw which is a different case? i'm coming to the beleif they are building from a supplied kit judging by people who are having problems with them,i would not have thought jordan would send a reel out which wasn't fit for purpose to a customer

Latest Posts

Back